Spring 2023 Anime Discussion

littleshogun

I'm late by half of the season, but may as well try it. Anyway we have GL drama (Yuri is My Job), silly adventure (The Hero is Dead), and most importantly the popular idol drama from Kaguya's writer (Oshi no Ko). I probably only watch Kuma Kuma Bear 2 weekly, although I still follow some other series (HSPC, Birdie Wing 2, World Dai Star) through other mean. Feel free to talk about Spring 2023 anime here.

PS - The link to the Livechart for this season.

Edited by littleshogun

4 hours ago, Emi said:

mashle

Mashle is fun, the Harry Potter parody is a really good concept for this kind of anime. ^^

Generally, I mostly watch utter trash and sequels this season. Ancient Magus' Bride and Gundam: The Witch from Mercury are both still very solid in their own, melodramatic way.

Smartphone isekai I think evolved from something mostly vapid to this still shallow, but genuinely cute parody of harem fiction... The spoof was obviously always in there, but it feels more self-aware and funny at this point. I don't even feel gross about watching it any more.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear is still a lot of enjoyable fluff and while some people complain about the pacing, I have a completely opposite impression – as the show got over all the setup and basic worldbuilding in the first season, this one feels a lot more like a personal journey of growth for Yuna. Not that much is happening overall, but I feel there's a lot more weight in the small decisions and challenges she faces, having to spet out of her comfort zone in new ways and establishing a more sustainable place for herself in the new world.

I'm also, with no shame whatsoever, enjoying The Legendary Hero is Dead, probably the most hated show of the season? It's another one of those relentlessly weird and stupid genre parodies, but damn if it's not consistent. Sure, not all of the jokes land, maybe not even most of them, but with shows like this (I'd include Don't Hurt Me, My Healer and Conception in this exact same category) it's not the specific gags that I enjoy but the overall vibe of absurdity and inappropriate humour. And this show goes HARD, although with enough self-awarness to never become too vulgar or fanservice'y (it's this level of parody when ecchi is so stupid and warped it stops functioning as such). Even my GF liked the first two episodes, I think we'll catch up to the current episode this evening. xD

My initial reaction to this season's lineup was that it's mostly just sequels to the shows that I either didn't watch at all or, with Konosuba, still need to catch up with. Though, as it is going, there seems to be a few fun anime.

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

The Legendary Hero is Dead

Judging from the short clip from it I've seen on Youtube, it seems like the type of comedy that makes me angry with its stupidity. Maybe I'm wrong, of course.

1 minute ago, Dreamysyu said:

Judging from the short clip from it I've seen on Youtube, it seems like the type of comedy that makes me angry with its stupidity. Maybe I'm wrong, of course.

Definitely a love-it-or-hate-it thing, but it's more than just a particularly dumb anime, it's the kind of thing that perpetually go off the rails and try to one-up itself with pure absurdity and degeneracy. It's more deranged than just plain stupid, I somehow deeply enjoy that kind of weirdness. 😆

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to expand my menu of seasonal trash with Yuri Is My Job and I understand why people hate on that show so much, the first three episodes feel like pointless drama, with the protagonist being a bit of a shithead, but getting abused for pretty much no reason...

Fourth episode forward though, the show transition into quality drama, giving context to what happened earlier and creating this pretty interesting dynamic between the pathological-crowd-pleaser and manipulator of a protagonist and the main love interest who's this hopelessly strict and serious loner that despises dishonesty in all forms. Honestly, all four main characters have tons of potential and writing is mostly solid. My only fear is like with all Yuri shows, it won't go anywhere by the end of the season... But I've started enjoying the plot and the setting of yuri-manga-themed cafe enough to stick with it regardless. It's surprisingly fun after the shaky beginning.