Translation roles discussion (moved from skill registration)

Hi,

I'm new here are you by any chance an admin,regardless of that fact can you tell me what sort of positions are there to fill?

To be more specific I know a few positions and what they do like translator and anything but the rest are thing's I don't

entirely understand.

Would you mind explaining? 

Hi,

I'm new here are you by any chance an admin,regardless of that fact can you tell me what sort of positions are there to fill?

To be more specific I know a few positions and what they do like translator and anything but the rest are thing's I don't

entirely understand.

Would you mind explaining? 

The many positions you can fill are; Editor (someone who fixes the translation); Proofreader (checks for grammar and spelling errors); Translator; Hacker (someone needs to hack the game and make the script available to be translated and edited); QC (quality checker, after the game has been completely translated and edited, the qc checks to see that the quality of the game is sufficient) 

Other positions could be management, though I'm not too certain as to who is allowed to be one, and if the group agrees on one either. That should be self explanatory, you'd be keeping everyone up to task and helping progress move along much quicker in a timely manner.

If there is an admin that could clarify this, that would be great. 

lol, editor is basically another name for a proofreader, translation-checker is the one who fixes the translation (after editing).  Management of groups changes depending on the members (since some groups are just fine without one and others only need reminders or an organizational chief) though it is wise to choose someone who is good at managing people or herding cats, if you have the occasion to choose one.  Don't mix up editing with translation-checker, though a tlc must have the same skills as an editor, as he has to keep from creating grammatical errors as he goes...  His job is as much fixing needless tl mistakes the editor created as it is fixing the original translation. 

lol, editor is basically another name for a proofreader, translation-checker is the one who fixes the translation (after editing).  Management of groups changes depending on the members (since some groups are just fine without one and others only need reminders or an organizational chief) though it is wise to choose someone who is good at managing people or herding cats, if you have the occasion to choose one.  Don't mix up editing with translation-checker, though a tlc must have the same skills as an editor, as he has to keep from creating grammatical errors as he goes...  His job is as much fixing needless tl mistakes the editor created as it is fixing the original translation. 

Lol, love that managing cats line.

Thanks, now I have a better understanding of the roles.

editor is basically another name for a proofreader

I would say, IFF the translator is a native speaker of English--otherwise, the editor has a big role.  Because the writing could pass a spelling and grammar check and still be awfully unnatural-sounding English.

Process: Extraction>Raw translation>Edit>translation check>patch

Basic skills of a translation-checker: Must be a more skilled translator than the raw translator, must have equivalent or better English skills than the editor (in other words, this is where your veteran translator should be, whereas you should pile newbies onto the raw translation)

How do people translate here? Do they look it up on Google? Or is it a requirement for an translator to actually know how to speak Japanese?

How do people translate here? Do they look it up on Google? Or is it a requirement for an translator to actually know how to speak Japanese?

Let's see... I would say there is 3 types of translation types.

Number 1 : Guy who don't know any/some japanese and uses google tranlatate or Atlas to translate the text. This would be called Machine translation.

Number 2 : Guy who has basic or good understanding of japanese language, but doens't read kanji well enough and uses application to turn it into furigana, and translate the text with own skills + dictionary

Number 3 : Guy who has good japanese skills and good understanding of the language and culture. Reads kanji well enough and doesn't need help from program to change it to furigana.

Number 1 would be considered the worst kind of TL there is. VN community usually despises these kind of translator because the text is bad or the meaning has changed. Machine translation will never be as good as person translating the text and that is because how the Japanese language is. If you translate something with Machine translation, then keep it to yourself and never release patch.

Number 2 is a bit hard to judge. Basically its considered half machine and some of the meaning in the text might change, because of lack of understanding of the language by the translator. I am one of those who uses this one, because my kanji understanding is still considered small. 

Number 3 is most likely a person who has lived in Japan or has really long history with language. Translation usually is accurate and meaning of text stays. Only problem is, that there are not so many "number 3s" who are in translation scene.

I hope this answered some of your questions, and yes I would say it's required to have some experience of Japanese language to start translating anything. Learning the language is really long road and everyone who wants to go there has to start from small and reach the top someday.

Let's see... I would say there is 3 types of translation types.

Number 1 : Guy who don't know any/some japanese and uses google tranlatate or Atlas to translate the text. This would be called Machine translation.

Number 2 : Guy who has basic or good understanding of japanese language, but doens't read kanji well enough and uses application to turn it into furigana, and translate the text with own skills + dictionary

Number 3 : Guy who has good japanese skills and good understanding of the language and culture. Reads kanji well enough and doesn't need help from program to change it to furigana.

Number 1 would be considered the worst kind of TL there is. VN community usually despises these kind of translator because the text is bad or the meaning has changed. Machine translation will never be as good as person translating the text and that is because how the Japanese language is. If you translate something with Machine translation, then keep it to yourself and never release patch.

Number 2 is a bit hard to judge. Basically its considered half machine and some of the meaning in the text might change, because of lack of understanding of the language by the translator. I am one of those who uses this one, because my kanji understanding is still considered small. 

Number 3 is most likely a person who has lived in Japan or has really long history with language. Translation usually is accurate and meaning of text stays. Only problem is, that there are not so many "number 3s" who are in translation scene.

I hope this answered some of your questions, and yes I would say it's required to have some experience of Japanese language to start translating anything. Learning the language is really long road and everyone who wants to go there has to start from small and reach the top someday.

Thank you.

I don't mean to be rude as I think this was a genuine question, but I'm not really sure how someone would really be able to translate without knowing the language ._.