Do you persons like Bonus content in VNs?

Do you persons like Unlockable Routes? And/or other type of extra content on VNs (Like Side-stories, plz specify)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. ------------------------------------

SO!!!

Felt like making another poll about this type of stuff in VNs, like my EPO poll (self-promotion 101).

The question is whether you people like Unlockable Routes or other type of bonus content like side-stories, epilogues, extra mini-games, etcetera... 

Edited by Guest

• Guest changed the title to Do you persons like Bonus content in VNs?
20 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

doesn't need to be tied to EPO since it can be like in G-senjou that you "unlock" a route be reaching a specific chapter

... what?

What do you even mean by "unlocking" here? I don't understand. In that sense, you always unlock routes since you at least need to finish common routes first, no?

18 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

... what?

What do you even mean by "unlocking" here? I don't understand. In that sense, you always unlock routes since you at least need to finish common routes first, no?

I think ley-line is a better example, you unlock Ushio's route by making very specific choices, which will unlock a final option on near the end of the common path, so you basically "unlock" her route (you don't reach the end of the common path, since reaching it will lead you to the normal end).

I know it is kind of abstract. xoP

I'm taking the tag description on VNDb into consideration here, "They can be made available by getting to certain points in a game", which fits the route specific chapter structure of g-senjou.

From the point of view of a reader, i have nothing to lose but more to gain by having a VN with side content. There are cases like Dies Irae and Himawari's Steam releases where the side content added to my enjoyment of them. Hell, the reason why the original MajiKoi is in my top ten is because even the side routes were entertaining.

59 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

They can be made available by getting to certain points in a game

I have a suspicion that you are misinterpreting what they mean by "made available" here because a) G-Senjou isn't tagged with it oh, wait, it's tagged with one of the child tags by two people; b) in literally every VN with multiple routes you need to get to a certain part of the VN to access the route, unless the routes are directly available from the title screen from the very start of the game, like in most fan-disks.

59 minutes ago, SeniorBlitz said:

I know it is kind of abstract.

Which definitely isn't going to mean that everyone is going to interpret this tag however they want. :makina:

Moving back to the discussing of the topic, it really depends on whether the bonus content is important for understanding the story. It's simple, if it gives new insight on the events of the story and further enhances the character development, I'm going to like it. If it's just a joke ending or a bonus h-scene, I'm probably going to be indifferent to it. So, it depends.

Edited by Dreamysyu

1 hour ago, SeniorBlitz said:

I think ley-line is a better example, you unlock Ushio's route by making very specific choices, which will unlock a final option on near the end of the common path, so you basically "unlock" her route (you don't reach the end of the common path, since reaching it will lead you to the normal end).

I know it is kind of abstract. xoP

I'm taking the tag description on VNDb into consideration here, "They can be made available by getting to certain points in a game", which fits the route specific chapter structure of g-senjou.

The way I understand this is there are two types of flags, those specific to the current playthrough (stored in savegames) and those globally available in all playthoughs

(stored in VN prefs). The latter are usually set when reaching a certain ending. This mean next time you start a new playthrough, the flag is set, which gives you new options earlier in the storyline and allow you to branch into a new route.

The flags specific to a playthrough will likely be needed to unlock a route, but that's how most VNs work and is generally not considered unlockable routes. In theory you can make a VN without flags, but then the story needs to branch at each question because the answer can't be remembered.

I think that's the common understanding of unlockable routes and I have never before come across anybody thinking otherwise. The concept of an unlockable route is often used like this: a VN has say 4 routes you can get from the start. There exist a 5th, but it spoils the 4 other and it will answer all the open questions from the 4 other routes. Because it needs to be read last, the 5th route can only be reached if the ending flags for all 4 other routes have been set. The 5th route is commonly referred to as the true route as it's the final, which explains everything and is often the happy ending, or happier than the others.

I like unlockable contents. The VN becomes more of a game and less easy to get them all. It's also possible that unlockable characters are skipped entirely until they are unlocked, meaning it adds to replayability, sometimes even if the unlocked route is not chosen. It can also be used to tell more details of an overall story without making each route way too long. There are multiple benefits to unlockable routes and in most cases they are beneficial if used correctly. Used incorrectly, it's just like everything else in the story used incorrectly, it becomes a worse story.

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

I have a suspicion that you are misinterpreting what they mean by "made available" here because a) G-Senjou isn't tagged with it oh, wait, it's tagged with one of the child tags by two people; b) in literally every VN with multiple routes you need to get to a certain part of the VN to access the route, unless the routes are directly available from the title screen from the very start of the game, like in most fan-disks.

Which definitely isn't going to mean that everyone is going to interpret this tag however they want. :makina:

Geez, sorry, took out the example. :pout: :salt:

Joking aside, yeah I agree with your vision, I tend to like the concept of unlockable side stories, specially if they add new points of view into the main plot.

56 minutes ago, tymmur said:

I like unlockable contents. The VN becomes more of a game and less easy to get them all. It's also possible that unlockable characters are skipped entirely until they are unlocked, meaning it adds to replayability, sometimes even if the unlocked route is not chosen. It can also be used to tell more details of an overall story without making each route way too long. There are multiple benefits to unlockable routes and in most cases they are beneficial if used correctly. Used incorrectly, it's just like everything else in the story used incorrectly, it becomes a worse story.

Agreed, it always gives em a sense of progression when I unlock a route in VN, it is a fuzzy-warm feeling. xoP

3 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

I only care about unlockable routes if those routes add to the story in any way. Also, side content usually sucks so I avoid it.

Bad times? What about Himawari that you love? Do you liek the bonus content on it?

2 hours ago, onorub said:

From the point of view of a reader, i have nothing to lose but more to gain by having a VN with side content. There are cases like Dies Irae and Himawari's Steam releases where the side content added to my enjoyment of them. Hell, the reason why the original MajiKoi is in my top ten is because even the side routes were entertaining.

Yeah, it feels really good when you enjoy the bonus content and don't have to slog through it. Like in Kagetsu Tohya I liked and the side stories, some add more to the lore while others were just fun to read.

Hell yeah,  Especially, side characters routes on Fandisc, I really love it.  (some of bonus route in main game just got short story and focus on their H-scene :yumiko:  I don't really like 'em tbh. well, its "Bonus" after all. ) 

Sometimes.... I love side characters than main heroine... :meguface: