feng games never translated?

ArcherEmiya79

I presume it's because it isn't really well know around here, maybe because theirs recents games aren't so good...

Those game are pretty old (not that much but still ^^, 2007 for akane if i remember well), i didn't saw that much people that played it.

Akane-iro surely deserve a TL though, a good school / romance comedy with somes things behind the scenes, this VN just felt like an anime and had pretty good characters (Mistsuki-senpai was my favorite :sacchan:, but they played well the sister route and nagomi was fun).

Pretty fun game overall, i recommend it despite the lack of animation (well, a 2007 charage :makina:).

There are far too many popular VN's for the rather small group of VN translators. Even the way more popular August got its first VN translation finished just recently, and even that was pretty much just a prematurely released beta. And Feng isn't even that popular in comparison.

For official releases getting a license deal is a huge problem, because the popular companies in Japan earn enough through sales on their home market to get a significant gain by the usually much lower sales in the west. A Yususoft that sells 40.000 copies in Japan won't be that impressed by a mere 2.000 - 3.000 copies on the English market.

And skilled and dedicated fan translators that also have the time and persistance to fully translate a title for fun are sparse. And personal taste matters a lot for them for obvious reasons.

Still, I played Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi myself last year in Japanese, so it got my attention at least.

23 minutes ago, Hayashi said:

Because people ain't interested in translating them. Just learn Japanese, text hookers are not recommended. 

Text hookers are great actually. I use them for games that are "hard" to read (mostly chuunige) with jparser / mecab, witch is great to improve on your japanese skills (mostly vocabulary).

Of course you shoulnd't use the option that translate sentences to english, it's actually unreadable that way :makina:. You need to know japanese grammar, kana, some kanji and how they sound though.

4 hours ago, Tweek91330 said:

Text hookers are great actually. I use them for games that are "hard" to read (mostly chuunige) with jparser / mecab, witch is great to improve on your japanese skills (mostly vocabulary).

Of course you shoulnd't use the option that translate sentences to english, it's actually unreadable that way :makina:. You need to know japanese grammar, kana, some kanji and how they sound though.

Never needed any TL, so I would not know. But in all seriousness, I think text books are better.

On 10/15/2016 at 5:18 AM, ChaosRaven said:

For official releases getting a license deal is a huge problem, because the popular companies in Japan earn enough through sales on their home market to get a significant gain by the usually much lower sales in the west. A Yususoft that sells 40.000 copies in Japan won't be that impressed by a mere 2.000 - 3.000 copies on the English market.

And skilled and dedicated fan translators that also have the time and persistance to fully translate a title for fun are sparse. And personal taste matters a lot for them for obvious reasons.

To elaborate:  putting out a fan patch is really time consuming.  I spent more than two years translating Nocturnal Illusion, and now there's editing (which it looks like will take six months or so) and coding.  The patch won't be out until 2017, close to six years after I started working on itThat's a major undertaking.

As for legit releases, don't also forget that the games are much cheaper in the West than they are in Japan.  It's a hard sell to companies, to expect sales less than half of what they made in Japan (maybe a lot less) and that also sell for half the price.  (The flip side is that I understand most English releases have a much longer tail than Japanese simply because there's so many fewer of them.)