Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Kaguya

Which anime released in the past decade will become classics?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Rooke said:

You'd be wrong with respect to Kai. Kai removes all the filler inserted into the anime that is not present in the manga. It also reverts the pacing to more like the manga also. It is, all round, a much more authentic adaption than the original DBZ anime.

For sakes of consistency, if you were to say FMA:Brotherhood is a recent classic then for the same reasons you'd have to say DBZ:Kai is a recent classic, and nobody refers to it as such (even though it is generally seen as a superior adaption.)

You can. Both original series modified the original content, both later put out anime series to rectify that. FMA may not have had an ending, but that's only because they didn't pull a Frieza '5 minute' moment.

The difference is quite bigger... no matter how much Kai refines, cuts and changes, it's working around the exact same series, adapting the same story. Brotherhood, on the other hand, directly adapts as faithfully as it could the manga, while the 2003 anime went on a complete tangent, away from the manga (for reasons we all know). It's still considered an adaptation of the manga cuz it did adapt quite a big chunk of it... but that's pretty much all. It's closer to being a work based on the FMA manga than an adaptation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so no Sakura and Full Moon here, and since in past decade mean that we must look from 2006, I'll do that. If we looking back from 2006, maybe Kanon (2006 version of course) and Suzumiya Haruhi (I think season 2 was more classic because of eight or something like that, in all wrong way). K-On and Nagi no Asukara could be classic too. And for last anime, since I saw mention of Dragon Ball then I should mention another very long shounen series here, Fairy Tail. Other than those anime before, if I may add idol anime here Love Live could be classic here looking from it's current popularity. Note that my opinion here might be wrong though, because classic was definitely subjective matter here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't agree with Kanon as I personally haven't heard anyone really talk about the anime, on Fuwa or in my circle of friends. It's always the VN that is talked about.

For K-On and Haruhi I will agree that they could be considered classics in the sense that many still talk about them and I can imagine they will continue to talk about them.

I can't agree with Fairy Tail as it feels I would have to throw in all the other shounen anime that came out around the same time, if not a little before. It just felt like a lot of other shounen, though it did hold my interest up to the 100 something ep mark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 5:32 PM, LiquidShu said:

I can't agree with Kanon as I personally haven't heard anyone really talk about the anime, on Fuwa or in my circle of friends. It's always the VN that is talked about.

For K-On and Haruhi I will agree that they could be considered classics in the sense that many still talk about them and I can imagine they will continue to talk about them.

I can't agree with Fairy Tail as it feels I would have to throw in all the other shounen anime that came out around the same time, if not a little before. It just felt like a lot of other shounen, though it did hold my interest up to the 100 something ep mark. 

Well, why wouldn't you throw in all the other shounens? We are talking classics, so I'd say that One Piece and Naruto are an obvious answer.

I would still be unsure about Fairy Tail, though, but regarding its importance and quality. FT is similar to Bleach as anime which started very strongly, secured a large fanbase, then proceeded to become so stale and boring most people do not even discuss them online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite a lot of anime at the top of MAL's list of all-time bests. BUT I'm not sure what you mean by classic, an anime can be sensational in that it is critically acclaimed to be good by viewers with a lot of experience in watching anime, or it's very popular with possibly a considerable amount of following from international audiences.

Much like Eva in the past century, the only anime I can think of within the last 10 years that definitely fulfill both criteria would be;

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST: BROTHERHOOD

 

And to a certain extent, these as well: Death Note, Steins;Gate, K-On, Haruhi Suzumiya, Gintama

We also have the arguably decent, yet massively popular anime such as: Shingeki no Kyojin, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Fairy Tail

And ones that are much loved by a relatively niche audience: Psycho Pass, Durarara, Code Geass, Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann

Discounting Ghibli movies and Japan sensations like Osomatsu or Love Live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:14 PM, DimDito said:

Quite a lot of anime at the top of MAL's list of all-time bests. BUT I'm not sure what you mean by classic, an anime can be sensational in that it is critically acclaimed to be good by viewers with a lot of experience in watching anime, or it's very popular with possibly a considerable amount of following from international audiences.

Much like Eva in the past century, the only anime I can think of within the last 10 years that definitely fulfill both criteria would be;

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST: BROTHERHOOD

 

And to a certain extent, these as well: Death Note, Steins;Gate, K-On, Haruhi Suzumiya, Gintama

We also have the arguably decent, yet massively popular anime such as: Shingeki no Kyojin, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Fairy Tail

And ones that are much loved by a relatively niche audience: Psycho Pass, Durarara, Code Geass, Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann

Discounting Ghibli movies and Japan sensations like Osomatsu or Love Live.

A classic would be an anime that will leave a mark, either for better or worse. Brotherhood is a clear example of a masterpiece that has become a classic. SAO is a clear example of an utterly awful anime that has become a classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

A classic would be an anime that will leave a mark, either for better or worse. Brotherhood is a clear example of a masterpiece that has become a classic. SAO is a clear example of an utterly awful anime that has become a classic.

There are other things that can make something a classic too, like the oreimo ending...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...