I need help deciding between these games.

Nekolover

Solibatman If you are going to be condescending, keep your opinions to yourself.   Also, will appreciate not bringing in  other games into the mix unless is for comparison sake.  

The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition 

boxart.png

From what I know from  reviews and the demo. The gameplay is fun and the characters are rather unique.  Especially  Metallia the MC. Though I am worried about story length.  Also a reviewer mention the story being Games Of Thrones   kinda dark. That a plus to me anyway. 

2Q==1.jpeg

Grand Kingdom I play the beta and love the gameplay. More or less meh about online.  My main worry here is the story.  They only let you see like two chapters I think in the demo.  Not so much worried about story length but more so if I like it or be bored  by it.  

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness

Star_Ocean_5.png

Yes, I do have an issue with the panty censorship. And I do like fictional teenagers wearing panties Solidbatman.  

From what I have seen in gameplay I like the gameplay.  But  here are problems most reviewers are bringing up. The story is shit.  They fuck up the dialogue during combat.  Making it impossible to understand what they are saying during a fight, unless you have subtitles.  There is not world map and they somehow fuck up the cut scenes, if you can even call them that.   That what the reviewers are saying anyway.    

So which one you recommend people?  Also if you have play any of these games. Please talk about what you like or dislike.  If you beat the game, then tell me how long it took you. Also  keep spoiler out unless is minor and you warned me about it, please.   

I can't say much about the first 2 games since I didn#t paly them yet but you should avoid SO5 until it's way cheaper because the reviewers are right, though you forgot to mention the huge amount of backtracking without the option to fast-travel and that the game ist very short (about 20-30 hours depending on how you play) and the skill system which is....not good (you get skills from chests, generic sidequests or merchants for huge amounts of ingame money).

48 minutes ago, sarkasmus said:

I can't say much about the first 2 games since I didn#t paly them yet but you should avoid SO5 until it's way cheaper because the reviewers are right, though you forgot to mention the huge amount of backtracking without the option to fast-travel and that the game ist very short (about 20-30 hours depending on how you play) and the skill system which is....not good (you get skills from chests, generic sidequests or merchants for huge amounts of ingame money).

I didn't mention it because I didn't know about that. Except the story length.  Well that a bummer.  Guess I wait for the last one when I am rich or goes on sale for 20 $.  

The other two got demos.  

The Witch and the Hundred Knight got meh reviews (personally felt the gameplay was boring, almost plays a bit like Bastion, but hey, just my opinion as someone who owns it), but it is from the Disgea guys, NIS. Revival Edition for PS4 I'm sure features plenty of improvements. Again, if you like Disgea type humor, you'll likely enjoy this.

Grand Kingdom is newish I believe, don't know enough about it to make a call. Sorry.

Star Ocean looks like more of Star Ocean: The Last Hope, which is horrific. I absolutely hated The Last Hope (while loving Star Ocean 3 so shrug). 

Of the three, I'd go Witch and the Hundred Knight. Its charming in a weird way, has a different battle system than most ARPGs, and just seems to stand out more than the rest. 

In the future, I'd appreciate it if you'd at least tag me if you're going to call me out. Makes life much easier for me. 

20 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

The Witch and the Hundred Knight got meh reviews (personally felt the gameplay was boring, almost plays a bit like Bastion, but hey, just my opinion as someone who owns it), but it is from the Disgea guys, NIS. Revival Edition for PS4 I'm sure features plenty of improvements. Again, if you like Disgea type humor, you'll likely enjoy this.

Grand Kingdom is newish I believe, don't know enough about it to make a call. Sorry.

Star Ocean looks like more of Star Ocean: The Last Hope, which is horrific. I absolutely hated The Last Hope (while loving Star Ocean 3 so shrug). 

Of the three, I'd go Witch and the Hundred Knight. Its charming in a weird way, has a different battle system than most ARPGs, and just seems to stand out more than the rest. 

In the future, I'd appreciate it if you'd at least tag me if you're going to call me out. Makes life much easier for me. 

No, also no calling you out but telling you if you happen to see the post to be nice.    I playing Disgaea 5 so yes that a good thing.   Grand kingdom gameplay is fun but story worries me.  Well that certainly is bad for Star ocean.  Kinda hoping somebody says something about Grand kingdom.   Witch and the Hundred Knight looking like my best bet for something fun. 

4 minutes ago, Nekolover said:

Keep hearing people talking about how bad is compared to the other games in the series. 

Its crazy that they possibly did worse than SO4. triAce used to be the cool kid on the JRPG block. Always had a unique, interesting game to play (Valkyrie Profile, Resonance of Fate). Now its everyone hoping they don't screw up. 

1 hour ago, solidbatman said:

Its crazy that they possibly did worse than SO4. triAce used to be the cool kid on the JRPG block. Always had a unique, interesting game to play (Valkyrie Profile, Resonance of Fate). Now its everyone hoping they don't screw up. 

Dammit. I really loved SO2, and SO3 was solid even though I never got all the way through (I should go back to it, someday...). SO4 was not great, though. I'll almost certainly play this one, just because fantasy space opera is pretty much my bag, but I guess I'll be going into it with low expectations.

2 hours ago, solidbatman said:

By any remote chance have you play  Stranger of Sword City?