VN Reading Club - Steins;Gate (about bloody time)

Nimbus

Okabe is complicated. Here's my perception of his character, as of where I am somewhere in Chapter 4, supplemented with as much evidence as I can get. Some of this comes from the very rare honest introspection on his part, but more of it comes by assessing his relationships with other people:

- He doesn't believe all the nonsense he spouts. The best evidence for this is how he acts when he's with Faris, since she's better at this nonsense game than he is, and he freely admits it (to himself). The way he acts during his banter with her, where she's directing the conversation, is basically identical to his ordinary Organization shtick, except that he occasionally admits that he can't keep up the game as well as she does.

- Although he doesn't actually believe in any Organization, Okabe seems to be deeply entertained by pretending to believe in it. The reason he goes around telling everybody about it is on the off-chance they'll play along with him and he can have some fun. To some extent you can see this when he chats with Faris, but much more so when he chats with Luka, since Luka is so deeply invested in Okabe that he'll play along with anything Okabe does.

- This is the most interesting point, to me: Okabe is as unsure and worried as all the people around him about the severity of the situation he suddenly finds himself in. He reveals this pretty directly through a big internal monologue, at one point, after some of the events in chapter 2 or 3 (can't remember which).

I don't think they're trying to make him funny in particular, so much as they're trying to show that he's just a goofball playing around all day who suddenly ends up way, way over his head.

Finished chapter 5

Spoiler

Whelp, this is the point in the anime where I started marathoning the show instead of having to push myself to watch it, and it looks like the VN experience is more of the same (though the earlier chapters were actually less of a chore in the VN vs. the anime, despite being many hours longer).

I'm still trying to figure out how routes are going to work in this VN... if it's all based off my cellphone actions taken so far (which were frankly just targeted at getting the most interesting reply), I might very well flip a table in frustration, since I don't really get any sense of purpose or agency out any of the cellphone stuff. If there are actual choices coming, then it's all good. I also would be fine if there basically are no routes, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case given what people said about getting the last ending basically requiring a guide.

Wel, my advice - do not concert yourself over a routes at all. Just read. Try to think of it as kinetic novel. Probably the best way to read this, because now you're just frustrating yourself. You'll find out how system works soon enough, so just chill and read happily. :)

2 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Wel, my advice - do not concert yourself over a routes at all. Just read. Try to think of it as kinetic novel. Probably the best way to read this, because now you're just frustrating yourself. You'll find out how system works soon enough, so just chill and read happily. :)

Good thinking, like he said we gotta just enjoy ourselves, hope I can get the true ending for last though. Finished Chapter 1 which is like the character intro chapter, met Braun Tube, Shining Finger, Nyannonying Girl, Amane Suzuha(name subject to change), and Totally a Trap.:wahaha: Well I don't know much about them yet but i'm only on 2nd chapter now. So I can't really give my opinion on the characters or if i'm gonna like them yet. If I had to say something about Okabe, I feel like there's some reason behind why he's like this, probably his past or something, maybe Mayuri's involved in some way I think. Story has really captured my interest so far, it's funny and suspenseful when it needs to be which is good. Hope to finish it by the end of March. As for the routes, it'll work out in due time, if not I can always ask you guys for help. Gotta get on Chapter 2!8)

16 minutes ago, Leaf said:

Good thinking, like he said we gotta just enjoy ourselves, hope I can get the true ending for last though. 

Don't worry. (not a spoiler, but better safe than sorry, I'm talking about probability of getting a true route)

Spoiler

It's almost impossible. :P I possibly screw up my basic math, but from what I just counted, probability of choosing in blind the right things to true route is 0,00177% and only if you know how the system works. So, yeah. 

2 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Don't worry. (not a spoiler, but better safe than sorry, I'm talking about probability of getting a true route)

Hidden Content

It Can't be that hard can it, if so what were the game developers thinking, do you need to do really specific things to get the True end.

Well, you'll see. I was completly baffled when I saw a walkthrough after reaching my first end. ;)

For everyone interested how I counted it and possibly wanted to straighten my results:

You need 100% flags to get true end. Once you screw, it's all over. You need to get every choice right. There are 12 choices. Some of them has only 2 things some if them had 3. I do not know which have how many, but I assumed that there are 3 choices with 3 options and 9 choices with two. So. First choice has a 50% of probability. Next one is 50% of previous 50%. Next one is 33% from previous result. And that multiplation goes 12 times, which results in 0.00177%. Where I made mistake? Obviously probability would be even smaller, because 'green' people do not know how this system even works and can just ignore it, but that is just unmeasurable data.

It's best to not worry too much about the routes, especially true route, when you're playing it for the first time. Trying to follow a guide kinda kills the fun of the phone-choice system, and you might still accidentally miss some of the triggers. (That happened to me when I first tried getting the true end).
Just play as you feel like. If you manage to get to some of the side routes, great! Even more so if you didn't even intended to get them in the first place. (I have some good stories about the routes, but I'll leave that for later time)

I'm at chapter 4 now, and Steins;Gate is just as good as I remembered. It's entertaining (japanese memes!), and the characters are really cool and wacky. Even the the science stuff is cooler than I remembered, and it feels believable enough to play along with. And man, I did really miss the dynamic between Okabe and Kurisu, it's just so good. The e-mails, their constant bickering...

And here I was, putting every info about route system in spoiler. :lol:

I loved the science stuff. Very understandable, logically explained, with great encyclopedia for harder terms. Steins;Gate shines on that field.

And I'm probably only one fan of S;G, who gave 10/10, but wasn't enraptured in Okabe-Kurisu chemistry. It was...fine. Both of them were great, but their relationship wasn't THAT superb in my eyes.

21 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

A shame, that's the best part about okabe imo, were you expecting scientist version of Grisaia's Yuuji or something :P

I can understand why people would like this aspect, but it just doesn't click with me

20 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I think they're trying to make him funny in particular, so much as they're trying to show that he's just a goofball playing around all day who suddenly ends up way, way over his head.

From my perspective he's just more of a wannabe intrigue than a goofball. Though I am still rather early in the game so there's plenty of time for character development.

3 hours ago, Nimbus said:

I can understand why people would like this aspect, but it just doesn't click with me

From my perspective he's just more of a wannabe intrigue than a goofball. Though I am still rather early in the game so there's plenty of time for character development.

I have a baaaad feeling you gun' become one of those 'i waited 10 years for this???? s;g is overhyped!!!' but yeah, okabe will def abandon his wannabe intrigue when shit gets real ^_^

~~

Yeah, listen to Turnip, dw 'bout looking up walkthrough/setting flags for True End now; it'll just distract you. Just play through and get all char endings normally and worry about True End later

I landed on Suzuha's route, thankfully, and just finished it:

Spoiler

I cannot describe how satisfied I am with that route and the subsequent ending. The despair! I reveled in it. And watching Suzuha break through it was like nourishment for my soul. The route ending was everything I wanted it to be.

I'm pretty sure the anime and the VN were literally identical up until the route forked off, but the anime didn't contain any of this route's content at all, and that is a freaking crime. I am so happy I played this VN right now.

All that said... I'm still table-flipping mad about how the routes work, so let me just throw out what I'm considering doing for my next playsthrough (yeah that's right, that's how I just pluralized that word), and you folks who know better can tell me whether it's merely a bad idea, or a downright terrible idea:

Spoiler

I'm just going to ignore phone calls and text messages from everybody except the person whose route I'm pursuing.

Obviously when I'm done with everything but the true route, I'll just go look up a guide, but I'd like to hold off on that for now if it's reasonable.

15 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I landed on Suzuha's route, thankfully, and just finished it:

Hide contents

I cannot describe how satisfied I am with that route and the subsequent ending. The despair! I reveled in it. And watching Suzuha break through it was like nourishment for my soul. The route ending was everything I wanted it to be.

I'm pretty sure the anime and the VN were literally identical up until the route forked off, but the anime didn't contain any of this route's content at all, and that is a freaking crime. I am so happy I played this VN right now.

I just love to read opinions like that. ^^

Spoiler

I was crying like a baby during that extremally great voice acting in letter scene. And then this great time loop happened. :D

About routes/choices:

Spoiler

Have fun with e mails, answer what you feel like to answer. They matter only in 'final' endings in later chapter. Every side-route entry is like in Suzuhas' situation. Okabe is whinning 'should I do this, reverse the time, undo everything, should I really do this?!' and at this point you need manually take out your phone and send a message to microwave. If you not do that, you will go to the side route. If you send that message at that moment, you will progress further with the 'canon' story to next chapter.

1 minute ago, Vorathiel said:

Hide contents

I was crying like a baby during that extremally great voice acting in letter scene. And then this great time loop happened. :D

Spoiler

Yes! The letter scene was amazing.

Also, thanks, both of you, for explaining - I somehow didn't make the connection to how I triggered the route.

┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

20 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

I have a baaaad feeling you gun' become one of those 'i waited 10 years for this???? s;g is overhyped!!!' but yeah, okabe will def abandon his wannabe intrigue when shit gets real ^_^

Goddamn it, first Symphonic Rain and now this :komari: