Scrub question about changing computer locale

Dergonu

EDIT: Pretty much figured it out now.

So I have purchased a new laptop for school which is 4x better than my current desktop PC. This made me go: "Gee, I really would like to install some VNs on this." But, currently, all my VNs are either in Japanese or needs Japanese locale to run, and I dont really want to change my locale back and forth. (I pretty much need it in my native language as some of the programs we have in school break when I try to use them with a Japanese locale .. :miyako: )

So to my question, if I make 2 accounts on the PC administrators, can I change the locale / text format on one to Japanese, and keep the other one in my native language? Will it then be possible just to log off and switch between the two, or is this a setting that has an effect on the entire PC, all users included?

Help a scrub out pls! :pyaa:

Just now, Arcadeotic said:

I'm pretty sure, that dabbling with the text settings will affect all users, and the same can be said for locale and such.

But all these minor things shouldn't make any majorly noticeable alterations, so I think it really doesn't matter in the long run.

Hmm, I was afraid of that.

Yeah the problem is, some of the programs we use for some strange reason wont load when its Japanese locale. I have no idea why but .. Yeah.

I guess worst case I'll just have to turn it back to my language before I go to bed or something. Kind of a drag though.

(I'm not a lazy person at all :makina: )

What if you make the trick and have 2 different Windows installations? That's playing safe. Your HDD space might disagree though.

Also, it's common that when running a Japanese locale some programs don't boot, since it changes things as your disk routes, so a western program doesn't know where on Earth to locate some files it needs, for example.

2 minutes ago, Okarin said:

What if you make the trick and have 2 different Windows installations? That's playing safe. Your HDD space might disagree though.

Also, it's common that when running a Japanese locale some programs don't boot, since it changes things as your disk routes, so a western program doesn't know where on Earth to locate some files it needs, for example.

Yeah that makes sense.

Hmmm, I guess that could work, though it sounds like a pain too :wahaha:

Well, thanks for answering my question people.

I'll just change it back and forth for now. (It takes like 2 minutes, so I really shouldnt complain :makina: )

Locale is/was part of the settings on the user account, so in theory that should be doable.  Of course, it would take less time to experiment than it would to ask the question and wait for someone to answer it.   (^_-) Without knowing which version of Windows you're using I can't make a blanket statement.  I've come across situations with a single machine having different locales on user accounts in XP and 7 but 8 and 10 break a lot of things.  I run Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise on Japanese locale and I've yet to find ANYTHING that won't run on that save some 16-bit DOS programs and the old Magic The Gathering PC game when it gets its panties in a wad.   

As long as it's still part of the user profile on your version of Windows, than yes, you can do that.  If Microsoft changed it over to the machine settings on your version of Windows you can't.  

As Okarin said while I was typing, Japanese Windows fixes everything.  Activating Japanese Windows outside of Japan is a PITA if you buy a disc on YJA, but if you can download a VL/MSDN version (get a MSDN membership or use your school's MSDN membership to download a Japanese VL Windows if they will let you is the non-piracy answer), that is ideal.     

4 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Yeah that makes sense.

Hmmm, I guess that could work, though it sounds like a pain too :wahaha:

Well, thanks for answering my question people.

I'll just change it back and forth for now. (It takes like 2 minutes, so I really shouldnt complain :makina: )

It's not good to be an overly selfish prick, so maybe you shouldn't complain, in the end :wahaha:

1 minute ago, Arcadeotic said:

It's not good to be an overly selfish prick, so maybe you shouldn't complain, in the end :wahaha:

I thought this was one of my charms :illya:

2 minutes ago, EcchiOujisama said:

Locale is/was part of the settings on the user account, so in theory that should be doable.  Of course, it would take less time to experiment than it would to ask the question and wait for someone to answer it.   (^_-) Without knowing which version of Windows you're using I can't make a blanket statement.  I've come across situations with a single machine having different locales on user accounts in XP and 7 but 8 and 10 break a lot of things.  I run Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise on Japanese locale and I've yet to find ANYTHING that won't run on that save some 16-bit DOS programs and the old Magic The Gathering PC game when it gets its panties in a wad.   

As long as it's still part of the user profile on your version of Windows, than yes, you can do that.  If Microsoft changed it over to the machine settings on your version of Windows you can't.  

As Okarin said while I was typing, Japanese Windows fixes everything.  Activating Japanese Windows outside of Japan is a PITA if you buy a disc on YJA, but if you can download a VL/MSDN version (get a MSDN membership or use your school's MSDN membership to download a Japanese VL Windows if they will let you is the non-piracy answer), that is ideal.     

Hmm.. It's on windows 8.1, I'll give it a go and see if it changes across users, (asked first in case it was an obvious no to save time. Didnt want to create a new user just to see it fail.)

The programs that arent running are norwegian programs, so its like Okarin said, it probably just gets confused as all hell when its in Japanese locale. I'll test it out and report back after I've seen the result :miyako:

4 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Hmm.. It's on windows 8.1, I'll give it a go and see if it changes across users, (asked first in case it was an obvious no to save time. Didnt want to create a new user just to see it fail.)

The programs that arent running are norwegian programs, so its like Okarin said, it probably just gets confused as all hell when its in Japanese locale. I'll test it out and report back after I've seen the result :miyako:

Oh Win 8.1

Can you tell me the applications you're trying to use?

I use Win 8.1 as well

10 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

Oh Win 8.1

Can you tell me the applications you're trying to use?

I use Win 8.1 as well

Actually I just found a slider for changing the language of the program, and I'm able to open it with Japanese locale now :pyaa:

Might have been the norwegian, like, unique letters not being read properly or something. As for what type of application, its basically a database of sorts that we use to upload papers and stuff.

I dont know any of the technical stuff but its something our school made ... :miyako: 

I can draw in paint though! :miyako: 

google "Locale Emulator", works on W8.1 and W10, you might have to mess with the settings a bit to get it to work on W10

56 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Since you're on 8.1 you can HF pAppLoc. People like to bag on its 'unreliability' but in my experience its more like 1 in 50 VNs chance of failure, with that VN being Ever17.

1) Ever17 does not require JP locale

2) E17 needs a fix to run on W7+, locale or not. DL it here (my upload)