Creepy ancient Japan.

Vorathiel

I was watching trailer for a new Laika masterpiece, Kubo.

And on 1:04 timemark we had that great, creepy, dark scene.

First thing that came to my mind was 'Spirited Away' by Ghibli, and then other Ghibli movies. I got the same 'vibe'.

My question is - is there any quality vn set in ancient japan, or some 'otherworld' based on japanesee traditions, with all those spirits, magic, katanas, strange creatures, lots of bamboo etc, etc?
I must say that I have never seen any.

The most creepy depiction of ancient Japan can be found here: https://vndb.org/v14314

It's a pretty old game, but also pretty realistic in how it shows how dirty and corrupt the old Japan was. The Japanese hate this game because they tend to idealize their history. But for Western people there is tons of information and creepy imagery to be found you probably didn't know of yet. Also, this is one of the two video games Roger Ebert loved. And he hated video games. ^^

It's kinda an open world game and a hidden gem, especially if you have an interest in ancient Japan and Japanese mythology.

Not really creepy, and there are several recommendations better than this if all you want is the Japan part, 

Spoiler

Not even actual ancient Japan, but you said "otherworld" was fine too.

But I can't let a chance to mention my favorite VN pass by...

Do check out Kajiri Kamui Kagura. Though you should definitely read Dies Irae before trying this one out. https://vndb.org/v5844

42 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Oh yes, this looks perfect, and that art style is totally amazing.

Sadly - I can't read japanese. ;_;

Translated-only... Completely changes what I can recommend you.

Fitting most of your criteria, there's Utawarerumono. End list. 

If you're fine with Sengoku-era Japan full of rape and comedy, there's Sengoku Rance. 

If you're fine with post-war Japan, Rose Guns Days is one of my favorites. Hardly "ancient" but it's pretty good. 

If you're fine with modern japan with some ancient beings and youkai and whatnot, check out Ayakashibito. 

If you're fine with fictional nowdays japan without guns and lots of "how to use a katana" infodumping, check out Hanachirasu. 

That's about it, really. I guess you could also check Higurashi, though it's not what you're looking for. 

While I appreciate your answers, I don't really think you get me. ;)
All those vns above are more focused on 'how was Japan back in the days', and less on this mysticall land, full of spirits, curses, etc. The word I'm looking for is 'creepy'.

Like this:
Mononoke_Kodama.jpg

But Utawarerumono and Senkogu Rance looks 'decent' in those terms. ;)
And it's not like I 'must play' this, I was just curious if any of those even exists.

Uhm, I'm pretty sure I posted exactly what you asked for; a vn about the mystical land, full of spirits, curses, etc with an emphasis on creepy.

But I guess this wasn't actually what you wanted. You wanted more something along the lines of children's fairy tales, am I right? Because that's what all the examples you mentioned are... :amane:
I'm not sure those should be described as "creepy" or "dark" though...

On 1/28/2016 at 1:21 AM, Tyrosyn said:

Uhm, I'm pretty sure I posted exactly what you asked for; a vn about the mystical land, full of spirits, curses, etc with an emphasis on creepy.

Yes, I was just answering Kaguya. ;)

On 1/28/2016 at 1:21 AM, Tyrosyn said:

But I guess this wasn't actually what you wanted. You wanted more something along the lines of children's fairy tales, am I right? Because that's what all the examples you mentioned are... :amane:
I'm not sure those should be described as "creepy" or "dark" though...

You think so? I just don't know japanesse culkture to that extent to simply discern 'chlid stories' about ghosts, etc, from actually creepy stories about ghost, spirits etc.

And as always - thanks for asnwers everybody!