Competent main character

pual

Rewrite essentially has two protagonists, one for the true route and one for the rest of the game. The true route's protagonist is capable. The protagonist for the rest of the game is a bumbling idiot who lucks into the solutions.

Make no mistake, these two are entirely different characters, and to say that Rewrite has a capable protagonist is pretty misleading, because you're only talking about a character that's there for a small portion of the game.

On 25.01.2016 at 8:19 PM, OriginalRen said:

Key protagonists are the literal definition of not doing anything and being super useless (but nice) and getting every single woman to fall in love with you. Every Key protagonist also has the bumbling idiot friend who makes them look so much cooler than they actually are. They are the protagonists that never act on sex (because if men do that it's evil), thus showing ladies how it's done and then watching them become horny and proceed to consistently have sex until drama sets in.

When drama comes up in a woman's life, they stand there pretending they can actually solve something. In the end, they do literally nothing and merely wait for the right opportunity to have an epic speech reminding their girlfriend that they will and have always loved them even though they [the woman] are insecure about themselves and don't believe it's possible to have such an awesome boyfriend. At this point, time leaps occur and some magic is sprinkled on and everything is perfect.

The end.

"Every Key protagonist also has the bumbling idiot friend who makes them look so much cooler than they actually are." I can't let that comment slide! Yoshino wasn't a bumbling idiot. Don't insult the MAD DOG

11 hours ago, OriginalRen said:

I actually do have every right to shit on Rewrite considering I've watched it being played many times. Just because you think I don't know enough about something doesn't mean I can't say it's bad. Do I not have the right to say alcohol is bad for you just because I don't drink as often? In the end, I think it's a crappy game and that people give Key way too much credit. Just because you get upset at people (solidbatman's reviews) for arguing why a Key game is bad doesn't mean I can't say it's bad. Charlotte is a prime example of this.

You're welcome to say "I don't like Rewrite" all day long. I respect differences of opinion and taste, and I frequently unironically refer to myself as having shit taste. But the moment you want to try to make some objective claim, specifically in this case asserting that its protagonist isn't a force with some influence and agency (which is, once again, the thing we're arguing here, since it's, you know, the actual topic of the thread...), you better bring some evidence and an argument. So far, you've got nothing in the way of evidence or argument for that one small claim which Babiker put forth and which I'm defending.

It's very telling that your response is a combination of an appeal to authority (and a weak one at that), a red herring claim about your "rights" (true but irrelevant; and it turns out I also have the right to call you out on giving a shit argument when you're trying to pass yourself off as being objective), a pure statement of opinion, and an ad hominem attempt to damage my credibility (which I frankly don't recall, but I'm pretty sure never happened in the first place, since I've literally never even read any of solidbatman's reviews). Your entire post (except that random-as-hell statement about Charlotte, which could be anything really) consists of logical fallacies, and quite an impressive number of them for such a short post.

I don't get upset about differences of opinion; I call them out as such and move on. But I will go to the wall against purportedly objective claims with no basis in reality.

Edit (didn't see the posts on the next page until after I'd posted): Decay's point is totally fair. I agree that Kotarou is really only defensible as a protagonist with influence and agency in a single route.

7 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

You're welcome to say "I don't like Rewrite" all day long. I respect differences of opinion and taste, and I frequently unironically refer to myself as having shit taste. But the moment you want to try to make some objective claim, specifically in this case asserting that its protagonist isn't a force with some influence and agency (which is, once again, the thing we're arguing here, since it's, you know, the actual topic of the thread...), you better bring some evidence and an argument. So far, you've got nothing in the way of evidence or argument for that one small claim which Babiker put forth and which I'm defending.

It's very telling that your response is a combination of an appeal to authority (and a weak one at that), a red herring claim about your "rights" (true but irrelevant; and it turns out I also have the right to call you out on giving a shit argument when you're trying to pass yourself off as being objective), a pure statement of opinion, and an ad hominem attempt to damage my credibility (which I frankly don't recall, but I'm pretty sure never happened in the first place, since I've literally never even read any of solidbatman's reviews). Your entire post (except that random-as-hell statement about Charlotte, which could be anything really) consists of logical fallacies, and quite an impressive number of them for such a short post.

I don't get upset about differences of opinion; I call them out as such and move on. But I will go to the wall against purportedly objective claims with no basis in reality.

Edit (didn't see the posts on the next page until after I'd posted): Decay's point is totally fair. I agree that Kotarou is really only defensible as a protagonist with influence and agency in a single route.

Do you mean subjective instead of objective? You have read solidbatman's reviews, don't lie. I know this due to the fact that you're the one who hates how people score VN reviews for the team on Fuwanovel. You also stated the same crap with him when you said reviews shouldn't be subjective, which is just stupid. A review is the opinion of the person writing it, and therefore I have every right to be as subjective as I want.