[CLOSED] The Final Editon of Official Fuwa Anime Club: Revamp Cycle and Fall Seasonal Cycle

Zebhra

Ded.  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Rest in ....

• ..pantsu.
    • ..pasta.
    • ..peperoni.
    • ..peropero.

This poll is closed to new votes

You know, after making an off hand comment to a friend about how this is like Patema Inverted, I realized how similar in plot points they actually are.  The biggest difference between the two I think is that in this one the driving plot point of the kid's death is a lot weaker, and the teacher side character is really meh.

I actually like thisone much more than Patema, it is actually felt like an adventure, when Patema was....uhm... weird and incosistant (the only thing in Patema which was solid is the feeling of "fall").

Anyway, art was beatutifull and overall story felt a bit like "Spirited away", i wouldv said it is around 7.4  :sachi:

Got around watching Shiki over the weekend. It's really hard to talk about the show without spoiling anything, so I'm going to wait till others are done before talking about anything major.

Overall impression: It's pretty great, I liked Shiki a lot. The beginning was quite slow, which I personally didn't mind at all, but it really gets going around halfway through.

The atmosphere is good, rather than being scary there is this extreme unrest in the air. Subtle use of music, color filters and other visual effects enhances this greatly.
I also really liked the visual style of Shiki. Some of the characters are super stylized with weird hair styles, others look like "standard" anime characters and some have almost realistic features. It's pretty fascinating how these different designs work so well together.  

Zeb is on the rescue :Teeku:

I watched 5 episodes so far, here are my initial thoughts:

So far it is looking realy similar to TV series "Stamm", vampires infecting peoples and creating zombies using worms, the firstone to discover it was an epidemiologist who tryed to fight them with science and studied those worms calling them an infection and epidemy, the best part of those series was the pandemonium, the prologue where "infection" slowly goes out of controll and in the climax the hell unfolds on the streets. Shiki looking goddamn the same so far and i like it, this feeling of upcoming menace is soo good, the "epidemy" so far is quite big alread at episode 5 and i expect sht to get real really soon.

Also i like how "vampires" casually approached citizens to get an invitation in their house just to use it later and eat them...i like how rules of undead is actualy still used in modern series :sachi:

Okay, i'm done with Shiki, here are my mighty scores! :holo:

35le1jt.jpg

Story 7.3/10

The story Is really simple here, basically it was : "vampires trying to take over small town", what really matters is the process, yes this anime is about process, not the story. The process of spreading the undead among the living and slowly crushing the subtle resistance they meet. I really liked the first part ( till episode where doc cut his wife to pieces, it was the best moment of entire series, rest was not that good and final 3 episodes was completely meh). Nothing much more to say, the story was O.K. 

• Characters 6.8/10

In this anime the characters are what supposed to be the key fragment of everything, however I think like it is backfired at it. There are too many characters and about most of them you do not care, main character of this story is Doc and second main character is Yuki, so the characters about which you will care are like 3 persons to each of them (around 7 persons in total) the rest 30-40 are just a fodder to show the spread of undead...so in story where only 2 characters out of 50 actually matters i'd say 6.8 is appropriate...but those two are solid as fuck I would say,  Doc got some serious guts. All vampires are meh to me as a characters. Oh and that monk guy are such a pussy, I first thought he might have it in him, but in the end he was just a stupid hypocrite who let all his village get destroyed, all peoples killed (by an excuse "i don't want any killings") and even more he save that stupid vamp loli and went to find a new place to feed on. What a dick.

• Soundtrack 7/10

OST was OK, could be better (you make a horror, music and themes should be as much disturbing as possible) but in the end it did his job.

• Art-style 7/10

Art style was pretty good, not even close to shaft but good anyway, I was not distracted by it, inner thoughts and a couple of fucked up moments was done really good (like when that pink-haired girl killed Yuki's friend)

• Enjoyment 7\10

I am a bit conflicted about this one, first part was good, I like this kind of theme, I already gave The Stamm analogy a bit earlier, where ppls try to explain supernatural phenomen with science and when they the realize the truth it is already too late and now there are a small bunch of ppl who knows the truth in the middle of hell, this part was done really good, 9/10 I would say....but then there is a "fightback" part and in my opinion it was done really poor...basically it was like: "Ooooh, so they are vampiiires....lets go kill em. Okay, we killed em. The end" Feels like a wasted opportunity and a rushed ending. Also this fucking monk got away, so I am not satisfied by the ending.

• Overall 7\10

Overall it was not scary, not disturbing enough and anticlimactic, but I had my fun at the beginning and Doc is a worthy character to watch him trying to fight those monsters back, it could've been better, but it was not that bad either.

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, that poll was fast!  

My recommendation is Sakamichi no Apollon, and excellent period drama with Jazz.

Also going back to Shiki a little.

I should have written my more in-depth thoughts little earlier, but whatever.

The best part of Shiki for me was the characters, specifically how flawed they were and how differently they dealt with the vampire threat. There were no "good" guys and that was the point. 
I liked watching Doctor Oozaki in his endeavors for finding the cause and solutions for the problem, going as far as mutilating his own wife in pursuit of truth. I liked watching Yuuki&Co. trying to find the solutions own their own, without relying on adults and as awkwardly as teenagers do. I liked Muroi and Sunako talking about philosophy and the other Shiki in their struggles to live their new "lives". In a way even the characters choosing to delude themselves like humans tend to do were interesting. Or those who lived through their silly ideals.

The final "fight" against the Shiki was in great in this sense as well. Humans were victorious in the end, but one could argue they turned into even more horrible monsters than Shiki while purging the village from them. Episode 20.5 was especially good showing how the killings devolved in to more pointless killings, slaughtering "innocent" people that hadn't turned in to Shiki yet or just people they thought were associated with the Shiki.
All went hell and I don't think there couldn't have been any other way to end the show. I can't even blame Muroi from running away with Sunako, I can understand why he would want to protect a young girl (at least mentally) from being horribly slaughtered, a girl whose only sin was to drink blood in order to live. The same tragedy will almost certainly repeat, but that's beside the point. There weren't any good or right choices to be made, no good guys to root for and that was the beauty of Shiki.

Woah, that poll was fast! 

Well, all the participants voted already, so I saw no point to keeping it up.

Also about Shiki.

I liked how Natsuno and Toshio didn't just go with what was in the movies, they had doubts and acted like real human beings. I also liked how the Shiki weren't really at fault as well, they were just feeding themselves, just like humans do with animals. All in all, I liked the character interaction the most out of anything in Shiki.