Anime and a Touch of Mystery

OriginalRen

What are some of the best mystery anime you have ever watched? It can be centered around the mystery or simply have some mystery in it. Don't forget to put appropriate spoilers in tags.

Link to the official mystery month thread: http://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/11665-fuwanovel-mystery-month-official-thread

For me, let's never forget the greatest mystery anime of all time. Teekyu level quality right out the door:

Who did this to you Kokoro-chan? Who?! But the real question is...

RcD0JtK.jpg

Who was phone?!

Going by MAL standards and tags,  I'd say Death Note. Then again, I haven't watched many animes with the "Mystery" tag in them or with actual detective work/mistery solving. The cat and mouse, the way both sides work to crack the other's identity and the nonstop twists make it a great anime (though I wouldn't describe "mistery" as the main selling point).

On top of my head I really liked Hyouka and Another. Hyouka did a really good job making mysteries out of seemingly little things and had pretty good character growth. Another on the other hand was just a great overall mystery throughout the series, I have a lot of other thoughts about it but it'd be a shame if I spoiled a mystery series.

Steins;Gate and Death Note are certainly top two for me. After that it's tougher to say. Gosick and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni are good. Rahxephon is pretty underrated in my opinion, if that can be considered a mystery.

Does Tsukihime count as a mystery...? It was good. Though the VN and manga were both better than the anime in my opinion.

On top of my head I really liked Hyouka and Another. Hyouka did a really good job making mysteries out of seemingly little things and had pretty good character growth. Another on the other hand was just a great overall mystery throughout the series, I have a lot of other thoughts about it but it'd be a shame if I spoiled a mystery series.

Surprisingly enough Rokka no Yuusha the recent summer anime show had a lot of elements of a damn good mystery. I've been reading the light novel so I am a bit biased but I'd definitely count this as a mystery. 

My favorite mystery anime film is without a doubt Kara no Kyoukai and while people may argue not all of it is mystery a good portion of it can be considered thus. 

My favorite mystery ova is a little known 2 part ova by the name of Denpa teki na Kanojo

My favorite mystery anime is probably Gankutsuou or Monster depending on which of those three someone might count as a mystery anime. I'm also a fan of Gosick and Master Keaton for reasons I'm not even sure of. 

This upcoming Fall 2015 anime season also has two anime I'm interested in checking out Sakurako-san no ashimoto ni wa shitai ga umatteiru and Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider . Time will tell if either of these are any good.