Horror Movies/TV Shows

Shikomizue

So, I've created this thread so that people (like myself) can talk about and share their experiences with horror movies and the like.

I myself, am about to watch Children of the Corn, and I'm pretty excited, as I haven't seen an actually scary movie before.

Exorcist is a good starting point, and you should try at least one of the Paranormal Activity movies at some point in your life (they're one-shot things though, once you know when stuff happens in a Paranormal Activity movie the rest of the movie becomes boring).

The Ring and The Grudge kind of set the standard for American-made-remakes-of-Japanese-movies, so I'd recommend both the original Japanese versions and the American versions of those. If you want to go more into Asian horror (less jump scares and gore, more creep factor and twist endings) try Shutter. Or for found footage Japanese fun try Noroi or Occult.

Recently the best thing to come out of the horror genre was The Conjuring, also once you've gotten through enough horror movies to get the tropes Cabin in the Woods is a pretty fun send up of the genre.

For TV shows, sadly there's not much out there that is what I'd call 'scary'. American Horror Story is a good show, a really good show, but it's not even remotely scary. More just disturbing and weird.

I've heard good things about The Babadook so that's what I've got queued up on my playlist at the moment. If anyone needs suggestions I can pop out more, I've been around the block a few times when it comes to horror. It's kind of my thing.

Exorcist is a good starting point, and you should try at least one of the Paranormal Activity movies at some point in your life (they're one-shot things though, once you know when stuff happens in a Paranormal Activity movie the rest of the movie becomes boring).

The Ring and The Grudge kind of set the standard for American-made-remakes-of-Japanese-movies, so I'd recommend both the original Japanese versions and the American versions of those. If you want to go more into Asian horror (less jump scares and gore, more creep factor and twist endings) try Shutter. Or for found footage Japanese fun try Noroi or Occult.

Recently the best thing to come out of the horror genre was The Conjuring, also once you've gotten through enough horror movies to get the tropes Cabin in the Woods is a pretty fun send up of the genre.

For TV shows, sadly there's not much out there that is what I'd call 'scary'. American Horror Story is a good show, a really good show, but it's not even remotely scary. More just disturbing and weird.

I've heard good things about The Babadook so that's what I've got queued up on my playlist at the moment. If anyone needs suggestions I can pop out more, I've been around the block a few times when it comes to horror. It's kind of my thing.