One Piece Discussion - To Lucy Anne, With Love

Rose

Which is your favorite saga?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite saga?

• East Blue (Romance Dawn; Orange Town; Syrup Village; Baratie; Arlong Park; Loguetown arcs. Chapter 1 to 100)
    • Alabasta (Reverse Mountain; Whiskey Peak; Little Garden; Drum Island; Alabasta arcs. Chapter 101 to 217)
    • Sky Island (Jaya and Skypiea arcs. Chapter 218 to 302)
    • Water 7 (Long Ring Long Land; Water 7; Enies Lobby; Post-Enies Lobby arcs. Chapter 303 to 441)
    • Thriller Bark (Thriller Bark arc. Chapter 442 to 489)
    • Summit War (Sabaody Archipelago; Amazon Lily; Impel Down; Marineford; Post-War arcs. Chapter 490 to 597)
    • Fishman Island (Return to Sabaody and Fishman Island arcs. Chapter 598 to 653)
    • Pirate Alliance (Punk Hazard and Dressrosa arcs. Chapter 654 to current)
  2. 2. Which type of Akuma no Mi is your favorite?

• Logia
    • Zoan
    • Paramecia

This poll is closed to new votes

2BQ75tp.png

Current Saga - Pirate Alliance

Cover - "That story of the woman called Lucy Anne"

Lost in Translation

For those of you who follow the manga, a translator from Manga Stream is currently (November 8th, 2014) making a blog talking about some interesting facts about the latest chapters. It's a really interesting reading and I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. In case you like it, please consider leaving a comment on his posts, even if just to say something like: "Good job!" or "Keep it up!" as any kind of feedback is amazingly welcome when you're doing such an amazing work without any obligation to do so. Manga Stream is always going to be the website linked for the last chapter as I believe their quality is the highest I've seen so far, so just click on the last chapter's number or go straight for his post by choosing which one you wanna read below.

Spoiler

I've been re-reading some of the manga chapters and decide to make a thread, so let's discuss one piece here. Keep manga spoilers in spoilers so people who only follow the anime may participate as well. Just to have a starting point, who do you think it's the best antagonist so far and why is it Doflamingo?

I lost all my steam during the fishman arc because that's when I catched up with the publication and the awesomeness of Impel Down/Marineford/etc was too huge. Seems like I got a good 120+ chapters in the backlog, I gotta get up to date some day.

I also tried to watch the anime 3 years ago when I didn't really watch anime, but after 200 episodes I kinda stopped too...

Anyway, I still think One Piece is a really great shônen manga. Of course I like Hunter x Hunter better but still, when I see how immensely popular OP is I think it kinda deserve it. Keeping that kind of consistency, that degree of entertainment, while building a vast world full of weird stuff, political factions and all over so many volumes is really impressive. Hats off to you, Oda.

I really find it sad that so many people didn't enjoyed the fishman arc. I really loved it, we got some really amazing characters and revelations, although I'll admit to some extent that the pacing was kinda slow. But indeed, it falls short compared to how amazing Impel Down and Marineford were. You really should get back to reading, Dressrosa is top tier, together with Marineford.

This is topical for me for once.

I don't watch anime, but for some inexplicable reason I started watching One Piece about 5 days ago (in spite of a number of projects that I need to do over the next couple of weeks ಠ_ಠ).

I actually just finished the East Blue saga yesterday morning. I skipped Warship Island filler arc though. I'll probably skip most of the filler too, but I heard some are worthwhile (the G8 arc). Does anyone have any opinions on the ones I shouldn't skip?

• Diary of Cobby-Meppo - Episode 68 and 69

This is a story told in the manga title pages. I don't remind perfectly, but it's enjoyable, so you might want to watch them.

• Post-Alabarca - Episodes 131 to 135

I only watched 133 to 135, those three were pretty enjoyable. They're character focused so if you particularly dislike one of them, you might want to skip it.

• Goat Island - Episodes 136 to 138
  • Ruluka Island - Episodes 139 to 143

Never watched neither, can't really say much about them.

• G8 - Episodes 196 to 206

Really enjoyable filler, most of the fans would actually like if it was canon. You definitely should watch this one.

• Ocean's Dream - Episodes 220 to 224

This one is based on a game, so unless you played it and enjoyed it, I can't really suggest you to watch it. I didn't do it myself, so I don't really know if it's worth it.

• Foxy's Return - Episodes 225 to 228

You'll be presented a major character in this filler. His appearance is also canon so watch this one.

• Lovely Land - Episodes 326 to 335

Haven't watched this, but people I know who watched kinda enjoyed it. You might want to watch one or two episodes to see if you enjoy the setting, otherwise just skip it.

• Spa Island - Episodes 382 and 383

I kinda enjoyed this filler because it was a really funny one overall, and seeing the mugiwaras having fun always make me smile. You can skip it if you want, but I'd personally suggest otherwise.

• Brook Side Story - Episode 384

If you dislike Brook when you meet him, then you can skip this as you'll probably dislike it. I personally felt like it was kinda funny and the final part of the episode was really heart-warming.

• Boss Luffy Historical Special - Special 4, Episodes 291, 292, 303, 406 and 407

I really enjoyed this one. It was really funny and having the characters in a different setting made everything really interesting to see. 

• Staw Hat's Separation Serial - Episodes 453 to 456

Watch this one. It adapts stories told in the cover pages of the manga.

• Z's Ambition - Episodes 575 to 578

It's a setup for the 12th movie. Haven't watched either so I'm not sure about how good they are, but I tend to enjoy the movies, so it might very well be legit.

• Caesar Retrieval - Episodes 626 to 628

Haven't watched, but I heard some really bad things about this one. There's an extremely weird akuma no mi in this filler and it doesn't look really good overall.

Those are all the fillers, hope it helped.

• Diary of Cobby-Meppo - Episode 68 and 69

This is a story told in the manga title pages. I don't remind perfectly, but it's enjoyable, so you might want to watch them.

• Post-Alabarca - Episodes 131 to 135

I only watched 133 to 135, those three were pretty enjoyable. They're character focused so if you particularly dislike one of them, you might want to skip it.

• Goat Island - Episodes 136 to 138
  • Ruluka Island - Episodes 139 to 143

Never watched neither, can't really say much about them.

• G8 - Episodes 196 to 206

Really enjoyable filler, most of the fans would actually like if it was canon. You definitely should watch this one.

• Ocean's Dream - Episodes 220 to 224

This one is based on a game, so unless you played it and enjoyed it, I can't really suggest you to watch it. I didn't do it myself, so I don't really know if it's worth it.

• Foxy's Return - Episodes 225 to 228

You'll be presented a major character in this filler. His appearance is also canon so watch this one.

• Lovely Land - Episodes 326 to 335

Haven't watched this, but people I know who watched kinda enjoyed it. You might want to watch one or two episodes to see if you enjoy the setting, otherwise just skip it.

• Spa Island - Episodes 382 and 383

I kinda enjoyed this filler because it was a really funny one overall, and seeing the mugiwaras having fun always make me smile. You can skip it if you want, but I'd personally suggest otherwise.

• Brook Side Story - Episode 384

If you dislike Brook when you meet him, then you can skip this as you'll probably dislike it. I personally felt like it was kinda funny and the final part of the episode was really heart-warming.

• Boss Luffy Historical Special - Special 4, Episodes 291, 292, 303, 406 and 407

I really enjoyed this one. It was really funny and having the characters in a different setting made everything really interesting to see. 

• Staw Hat's Separation Serial - Episodes 453 to 456

Watch this one. It adapts stories told in the cover pages of the manga.

• Z's Ambition - Episodes 575 to 578

It's a setup for the 12th movie. Haven't watched either so I'm not sure about how good they are, but I tend to enjoy the movies, so it might very well be legit.

• Caesar Retrieval - Episodes 626 to 628

Haven't watched, but I heard some really bad things about this one. There's an extremely weird akuma no mi in this filler and it doesn't look really good overall.

Those are all the fillers, hope it helped.

I appreciate you taking the time to break it down.

For such a long going series, it can be a little troublesome picking out which filler is worth the time from like 100 episodes. So this was really helpful.

As an aside, One Piece actually seems to have a relatively small amount of filler compared to other anime. By like a lot.

This is topical for me for once.

I don't watch anime, but for some inexplicable reason I started watching One Piece about 5 days ago (in spite of a number of projects that I need to do over the next couple of weeks ಠ_ಠ).

I actually just finished the East Blue saga yesterday morning. I skipped Warship Island filler arc though. I'll probably skip most of the filler too, but I heard some are worthwhile (the G8 arc). Does anyone have any opinions on the ones I shouldn't skip?

I started it last year and watched up through Water 7.  I recently picked it up again and am on Amazon Lilly now (though I've read up through Fishman Island so I know what's happened).

As you can tell from my past avatars and such, I love this series. 

East Blue holds a special place in my heart, mostly due to how epic Arlong Park was for me.  

So when does the Fishman Island arc start to pick up? That's basically where I stopped in the manga since I figured I'd wait till it got further and more interesting and ended up forgetting about it, then I decided to just stick with the anime and got to about the same spot and ended up stopping to clear  some stuff from my other backburners (games, books, other anime, Netflix, etc)

Basically...

I'm at where mud pirate breaks free of the barrel and kidnaps those mermaids which the Strawhats get blamed for, Luffy meets the giant mermaid princess, and seer mermaid predicts he'll destroy Fishman Island.

I think part of the reason I lost interest in Fishman Island is aside from being slow it so far feels like a less interesting Water 7 arc. Can I skip any episodes to the more interesting stuff and just rely on the "previously on..." segments to fill me in?

East Blue holds a special place in my heart, mostly due to how epic Arlong Park was for me.  

I know, right? Really played to my inner 12 year old.

Like I was audibly excited when the Straw Hats made their appearance at Arlong Park, walking side by side all Resevoir Dogs style. Nothing beats a badass, expectation defying entrance in a shonen anime.

Actually, I thoroughly enjoyed most of the East Blue Saga. Syrup Village had a pretty cool villain and the climax of the Loguetown arc had me going. Everything is always more dramatic in the rain. The show has really been plucking at the right strings so far. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series. 

So when does the Fishman Island arc start to pick up? That's basically where I stopped in the manga since I figured I'd wait till it got further and more interesting and ended up forgetting about it, then I decided to just stick with the anime and got to about the same spot and ended up stopping to clear some stuff from my other backburners (games, books, other anime, Netflix, etc)

Basically...

I'm at where mud pirate breaks free of the barrel and kidnaps those mermaids which the Strawhats get blamed for, Luffy meets the giant mermaid princess, and seer mermaid predicts he'll destroy Fishman Island.

I think part of the reason I lost interest in Fishman Island is aside from being slow it so far feels like a less interesting Water 7 arc. Can I skip any episodes to the more interesting stuff and just rely on the "previously on..." segments to fill me in?

You're probably around 613-614 in that case, keep it up for a bit longer, you're really close for the plot to start running and for an amazing flashback, which begins at 621.

Oh, and having read both Naruto 700 and One Piece 766, I found something really cool.

Naruto got his statue in the mountain painted with the Mugiwaras jolly roger on his forehead.

wPLY6Tc.jpg

While in the cover page of One Piece, we see Nami wearing a dress with the konoha symbol all over it. We also have Luffy and Chopper eating together with Naruto, judging by the clothes. They're also eating each others signature food, Luffy is eating ramen while Naruto is eating the huge meat piece. There's a small fox eating with them, wearing a regatta with the Uzumaki clan symbol on the back, or you can consider it one of those things they put into ramen and that Kishimoto always draw in it, which is also a way to symbolize the series. The konoha symbol is used as the O in the title, there's a shuriken in the E and the I is Naruto. The first few characters on the menu papers in the cover art of the One Piece chapter, repectively, spell out, (ナ-ル-と-おつ-カレ-(三)様-で-し-た, na-ru-to-otsu-kare-(san)sama-de-shi-ta), combining it into, "Naruto, thanks for the hard work." (ナルトお疲れ様でした, Naruto otsukare-sama deshita).

pYTSx3D.jpg

Oda and Kishimoto are two big stars in the manga world and it's really nice to see them interacting once again with each other. By the way, One Piece 766 was amazing! Fuck, I still ain't over the fact that

Corazon is going to die. Oda presents us such an incredible character who's already dead, he loves doing that and it's frustrating to read the character story while knowing he will die in the end. ):

I'd be interested to just see that anyway.  But true, I can only think of a few I disliked. 

Just to name a few amazing characters who are among the fan-favorites, we could have a pool with Whitebeard, Ace, the admirals, the mugiwaras, the shichibukais, Otohime, Fisher Tiger, Sabo, Koala, Hiruluk, Norland, Saulo, Tom, Law, Garp, Dadan, Bon-chan, Smoker, Zeff, Kyros and Corazon. It'd easily get over 40-50 options. x.x

Before I delve back into Fishman Island I've decided to watch the 12th movie tie in filler seeing as that probably isn't going to spoil anything being a filler arc and I did recently get a copy of the movie and need to watch it. Watched the first episode and it's looking to be decent for a filler episode; the newly introduced character and her devil fruit power is interesting.

I would say the dissatisfaction with the fishman arc is that it absolutely felt like empty space for the characters to show their new, improved powers. Yes, we do get a couple revelations and thingies, but that's basically it.

I voted for Alabasta and Summit War cuz both are, to me, the 2 arcs with epic story and fighting, when shit goes down and the world spins.

I would say the dissatisfaction with the fishman arc is that it absolutely felt like empty space for the characters to show their new, improved powers. Yes, we do get a couple revelations and thingies, but that's basically it.

I voted for Alabasta and Summit War cuz both are, to me, the 2 arcs with epic story and fighting, when shit goes down and the world spins.

Kinda true, but I still find it weird. Fishman Island is something we've been expecting for a really long time now, the whole plot we got there, the flashback and revelations about Shirahoshi are really amazing. Despite the fact that I did wanted to see a bit more of their improved powers, I also feel satisfied that the enemies weren't overpowered right off the bat, it'd feel like they were just there to be beaten, imo.

Also, as someone who doesn't watch the anime, can someone tell me if the pacing is better right now? I heard it has been pretty bad in Dressrosa arc and they're also way too close to the manga.

They might be "meh" right now because we don't know much about some of them, like Joyboy and how important Noah actually was. But we learned about Poseidon and how great its power is. Pirate Alliance couldn't happen without Fishman Island, as to get to the New World, you have to go through it.