Help with extraction and repacking (KiriKiri)

So yeah as the title says, I'm planning to translate this short nukige http://vndb.org/v14881. Problem is I'm having problems everywhere :c I succesfully extracted the scripts through xp3viewer without any encryption and successfully repacked the scripts using phiber's kirikiri tool with a patch.xp3 filename. But when I finally hit the start button ingame, a message windows appears saying " ANSI 文字列を UNICODE 文字列に変換できません。現在のコードページで解釈できない文字 ui含まれてます。正しいデータが指定されているかを確認してください。データが破損している可能性もあります" ( tl:dr you can't change ansi to unicode ). Assuming it really is a technical problem and I haven't a single damn clue what's happening. I uploaded the data.xp3 which contains all the scripts probably so if there's anyone out there who has knowledge about this please do help. ;)

data.xp3  (837kb) https://www.mediafire.com/?z3q4e66k6plb96l

hope someone can provide/create a tool :(

Hi! The problem is not with the repacker, but with the script format itself.

You need to resave all scripts of that nukige (so much K-On!, wow) in either Unicode or Shift-JIS, otherwise the engine will complain that you're mixing different encodings and refuse to start-up. Same case was when me and my friend translated Aozora Gakko no Sensei-kun (http://vndb.org/v632) - we had to repack the entire data.xp3 on-the-fly by using command-line version of xp3 repacker module in the end (you can grab it here, btw).

Well I went working on this, decided to make my own tool for it. I have all extracting and re-building working fine, but I'm getting the same error as you, without touching any of the files at all. What's up with that? What was the fix for it? I don't know why the original files have now stopped working.

EDIT: Ahh, I fixed it. Apparently the game ignores the encryption flag, so you have to encrypt the files. So it is a problem with the packer it seems (unless we ended up getting the same error for different reasons; entirely possible).

8m2DEYN.jpg

Ah well, you already fixed it. Was a fun few hours for me though. \o/

Well I went working on this, decided to make my own tool for it. I have all extracting and re-building working fine, but I'm getting the same error as you, without touching any of the files at all. What's up with that? What was the fix for it? I don't know why the original files have now stopped working.

EDIT: Ahh, I fixed it. Apparently the game ignores the encryption flag, so you have to encrypt the files. So it is a problem with the packer it seems (unless we ended up getting the same error for different reasons; entirely possible).

8m2DEYN.jpg

Ah well, you already fixed it. Was a fun few hours for me though. \o/

Thank you for the help as well. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

I wasn't sure if I should start my own topic or not, but I'm having almost exactly the same problem.  I've unpacked the data.xp3 file and I've figured out that the files are in ASCII encrypted with some sort of XOR cypher, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to repack a patch.xp3 so that it will work without the ASCII/Unicode error.  Even just repacking the encrypted files gives the error (though I'm not surprised by that since I assume they used the built in encryption feature of the KiriKiri packer).  

I know it's rude to drop in and raise this old thread, but I'm at my wit's end and would really appreciate if somebody could point me in the right direction.  Thanks!