"True" Ends: What makes them "True", and are they by design "Good"?

K450

Well, one route in Saya No Uta was much longer, so automatically, I guess it is assumed that is the true ending :P.

Another question would be, if there is a true ending, does that mean all the other endings are meaningless? Well, no, I suppose, because we want to give readers a chance to end up with every heroine, assuming the game in question is a dating sim. Maybe the fact that VNs are often dating sims is how this routes thing became a pattern.

Let's say we have a game with a single linear route that is 30 hours long. That, compared to a game with 5 routes that are 5 hours long each, then a true ending that is also 5 hours in total. Of course, which one is better will depend on the story. It is nonetheless something I always ponder :).

These are the thoughts that make me also wonder if true endings are by design "good". How many games truly make use of the routes idea, and how many just have it because everybody else is doing it? How many of us evaluate how routes are used in a game, and how many automatically think a game is better if it has "choices"?

Best to experience the differences between True and Good endings is reading Fate/Stay Night.

True Ending is the actual finale story structure that brings the knot to what's happening followed by an epilogue. This is the 'real ending', basically. True Ending usually holds 'bitter' feelings while leaving the readers in awe moments.

Good Ending is designed for those who prefer a happy ending that has limited bitter feelings. Good Ending consists of happiness blended with joyful events leading to a nice epilogue. It targets those who prefer Good Endings over True Endings in some circumstances.

Say I make a VN. I then pick a random route with no more info than the others and say "hey, this is the true route. Once I make a sequel, it'll be based on this ending, and I hereby declare it canon".

Well, the author said it. He's the one who gets to pick what ending is canon (you can deny it if you want to, but in the end the decision is still his). The true route doesn't need to show any secret or be more important than the other ones, it just tends to be.

But that is a main route not a true route, that is a big difference.

Canon/main ending is not a same thing as a true ending.

Author can just pick up one ending as an canon/main ending but he can't just decide that he wants one ending to be a true ending he needs to write that ending  so that that ending reviles all the big secrets that have not been  reviled in previous ones in order for that ending to be a true ending, otherwise it's just a main ending.

Say I make a VN. I then pick a random route with no more info than the others and say "hey, this is the true route. Once I make a sequel, it'll be based on this ending, and I hereby declare it canon".

Well, the author said it. He's the one who gets to pick what ending is canon (you can deny it if you want to, but in the end the decision is still his). The true route doesn't need to show any secret or be more important than the other ones, it just tends to be.

What you say is technically true as the author has the deciding power, and my question is:

Is there any title that matches what you say?

What you say is technically true as the author has the deciding power, and my question is:

Is there any title that matches what you say?

Well, technically... doesn't Fate/stay night fit into that?

Since the Fate route is "closest to canon", shouldn't it be considered the true route (of course, the way the whole thing works, ANY ending in F/SN is canon...), despite the Heaven's Feel route revealing more?

Disclaimer : I'm only talking about true routes that needs to be unlocked in some way. A route that don't need to be unlocked and featuring the "main" heroine is not a True route for me, even if canonical (for example Ayu's route in Kanon).

I feel that for any VN that is plot heavy, a true route is a good thing to have (unless you go the Fate way, which is much harder but can be really mindblowing if handled right).

Giving a complete closure to the story is important since it gives satisfaction to the reader.

Also, I don't really mind if the true route or true end is centered around one heroine as long as the main focus is still the story. (Steins;Gate, or G-Senjou)

However, that's different for Charage, I feel that a canonical true route centered around a heroine is very risky, as if you dislike the true heroine, it can kinda ruin your experience of the game (The true route in Hoshi memo for example, which I felt was inferior to some of the normal routes, or even Symphonic rain last route which felt really inferior to Al fine). I prefer the way Grisaia is doing it, with every route being canonical so that it's the same for each heroine, or stuff like Little Busters or Rewrite, with a true route very plot centered, unlike the heroine routes.

Disclaimer : I'm only talking about true routes that needs to be unlocked in some way. A route that don't need to be unlocked and featuring the "main" heroine is not a True route for me, even if canonical (for example Ayu's route in Kanon).

Technically neither in Steins;Gate or G-Senjou true routes don't need to be unlocked, true they are obviously made in order to be read last.

But yea, I get what you want to say, having a Main/Canon heroine doesn't necessarily mean you have a true route.