Tips and help on planing a trip to Japan?

Dark Ariel7

I am heavily considering visiting Japan next year for the summer. I want some help planning out budget and actual accommodations. I know some members here actually frequent Japan so I though they may be able to offer some wisdom.

So far, I am debating weather my stay should be 1 or 2 months. It will be no less than 1 month though. I could go down to 15 days if there is a really good reason to, though.

I will go about late june early july. Summer vacation.

I plan to get the train pass. I want to go from tokyo to kyoto to wherever so I will probably move around a lot.

I don't mind, and in fact prefer, smaller rooms.

I want internet access.

I plan to grab as much eroge as I can carry.

Keep it as cheap as possible. I fall under the starving college student stereotype. Just barely though.

Those are the conditions I have so far. Now for the questions.

How much do you usually pay for tickets?

Can I get some form of job if I stay for 2 months?

Can I make my own food? I don't much like japanese food. Or rather I hate foreign food.

How likely am I to climb the ladder into adulthood?

Can I get a bike?

Is a bike practical in Jp?

I want some advice to setup a budget and plan with these parameters. 

How much do you usually pay for tickets?

You need the JR pass. JR pass gives you unlimited transports on the Japan Rails lines, which is most of the interconnection between cities (ex Tokyo-Kyoto) and a part of the Tokyo lines (there are 2 different undergrounds in Tokyo). 3 weeks JR pass is about 60 000 yen.

Otherwise inside Tokyo one trip will typically cost you between 100 and 250 yen depending on how far you go, up to 500 to the suburbs. Trips between cities get expensive really fast, so again JR pass is the way to go if you plan to use it more than 2-3 times.

Can I get some form of job if I stay for 2 months?

You can't get officially paid with a tourist visa. Doing odd jobs is probably not an option if you don't speak the language very well and know where to look for, can't tell you more.

Can I make my own food? I don't much like japanese food. Or rather I hate foreign food.

You won't find your usual brands, but you can find stuff. It will also depend on the availability of a kitchen where you live.

How likely am I to climb the ladder into adulthood?

None.

(jk but if you don't speak the language you'll need to go to the hot districts, where you could lose quite a lot of money)

Can I get a bike?

Yep.

Is a bike practical in Jp?

Kinda. There are bike parkings and stuff, you can attach them on the street without fearing having parts getting stolen, and you can ride pretty easily in Tokyo. I never tried it though so I can't tell you.

I don't have much more info, I haven't been there for so long after all. Life here is expensive, food excepted basically.

I can understand jp pretty decently especially when couple with body language. I will be even better at it in a years time. (Does that raise my chances?)

Yeah I will probably use the train some 5 times or more to look around the various places. Also, why the hell is the train pass over 500 dollars?!? Is it some kind of magical Item that will help me "when the time comes" or something?!?

Also I meant airline ticket prices. How much does it cost to get over there.

Edited by Dark Ariel7

Yeah I will probably use the train some 5 times or more to look around the various places. Also, why the hell is the train pass over 500 dollars?!? Is it some kind of magical Item that will help me "when the time comes" or something?!?

Because for example one Tokyo-Kyoto round-trip is more than 25000 yen. You can probably divide that by two if you take a night bus but that's time consuming and tiring.

JR pass will be worth it if you take two such trips plus some underground/bus inside the town, after that it's all bonus.

After more research I realized that the pass includes travel on bullet trains. The trip from tokyo to kyoto seems to only take about 2 hours. Thats pretty neat.

Airline tickets seem to be running at about 1100. Does that sound right?

Also can I get a mod to change the title to something like "Tips on planning a trip to japan " or something? Makes more sense that the current title.

Thanks. I knew up to the edit main post but did not know I had to use the full editor. No wonder it did not work when I tried to do it a little while ago.

For some reason, people generally don't know that they can edit the titles of their own threads.

I learnt about this on the second thread I made, but I didn't know until I was told either.

Plan to use at least $1100 if you live in the US for a one-way and between $1800-2200 for 2-way.  If you don't mind staying at a capsule hotel and keeping your luggage (I'd suggest keeping your go-in luggage to three sets of clothes, a toothbrush, an emergency fund of 200,000 yen, and a cell phone contracted for use inside Japan) in a locker at a train station or somewhere like that, you can keep your actual staying expenses to a minimum.  Expect to have to pay the equivalent of $60-$110 for any new games you go after while there.  Your best option, if you just want the games rather than the extra goods, is to go to a second-hand shop and get them on the cheap (frequently, they'll get them in from the hardcore otakus a day or two later, stripped of the extras).  For figures... it really does vary so widely I can't give you any advice, except build up a huge fund (three grand) if you want to get a lot. 

This is for Tokyo, incidentally.  It's actually a lot cheaper to go sightseeing outside of Tokyo than in Tokyo... but in exchange, you'll be stuck eating Japanese food most of the time.  My own estimate for spending six months site-seeing in Japan was $30,000... but that was because I wanted to be in Kyoto for the blooming and falling of the sakura.  Outside of the cities, staying in a ryokan or a business hotel are the two cheapest options other than the occasional youth hostel (usually only in the suburbs). 

Expect to drop a lot of money in Japan.  Also, if you really, really can only eat American food... your stuck with fast-food or making it yourself.  If you plan to stay a month or more in Tokyo, you might see if you can rent a one-room apartment with a kitchen.  This is actually the cheapest option... but in this case, I'd suggest you search out a 'bed-town' and rent one there, because actually staying in the central city itself is hideously expensive outside of capsule hotels.  This only works if you plan to stay only in Tokyo, though.

Anyway, good luck.

Edit: There are other places that sell Western food... but they are much more expensive than fast food, and they are even more 'Japanized' in terms of flavor.  Outside of Okinawa and maybe Yokohama, it isn't possible to find hole-in-the-wall places that serve Western food that isn't somehow influenced by the way Japanese flavor their food.

Holy crap that is far more expensive than I thought. I guess I must have looked at the one way tickets thinking that they were the 2 way tickets. 

I actually started heavily considering going as a student abroad instead. I think that may be better. Budget and experience wise.  I realized just today that the college I am going to has an exchange program to Japan. I will look more into that first and then go back to see which is better. So far the foreign exchange program seems better.

It's basically a full-time job... but you'll have vacation time and if you do a good job, they'll keep you on for as long as you are willing to do it, renewing your visa, lol.  Japan is a good country to be an expatriate...  and if you work there long enough without committing any crimes you can get citizenship.

It's basically a full-time job... but you'll have vacation time and if you do a good job, they'll keep you on for as long as you are willing to do it, renewing your visa, lol.  Japan is a good country to be an expatriate...  and if you work there long enough without committing any crimes you can get citizenship.

I am kind of a lazy person so the Japanese work ethic would probably not go well with me. Also out of curiosity do you live there? Are you trying to recruit me?

No, but I had a friend who went through it.  He said the work was pretty hard... but he managed to stay there for two years, before he broke up with his Japanese girlfriend and became a misogynist.  I'm also seriously considering doing it myself, once I get my degree... and lasting until I get citizenship.  America is fine, but I want to live in Hokkaido.

Holy crap that is far more expensive than I thought. I guess I must have looked at the one way tickets thinking that they were the 2 way tickets. 

I actually started heavily considering going as a student abroad instead. I think that may be better. Budget and experience wise.  I realized just today that the college I am going to has an exchange program to Japan. I will look more into that first and then go back to see which is better. So far the foreign exchange program seems better.

Then you can start your story with the cliche transfer student event!

Sorry about off-topic, I just had to throw that in there. Being a transfer student seems like a good idea if you wanted to stay for a while.

Then you can start your story with the cliche transfer student event!

Sorry about off-topic, I just had to throw that in there. Being a transfer student seems like a good idea if you wanted to stay for a while.

I hope I can raise the "childhood friend flag" while I'm at it too.

Incidentally, when I go to Japan, I plan to spend my time going to hot springs resort towns and Shinto shrines (onsenmeguri and jinjameguri) .  I also plan go to Hokkaido for skiing and stop by Kyouto for the sakura bloom and fall in spring.  I don't plan to go to Tokyo at all outside of three days to visit various shrines, lol. 

I am planning trip to Japan next year too.
I am going with my girlfriend so it will be more couple travel (Time for Anime, VN, manga, etc... will be limited). Our Plan is to stay 2.5-3 months (mid August - mid November) so we can experience changing seasons.
Basic plan is fly from London to Tokyo and stay in Tokyo for about two weeks.
Questions: 
1. with JR Pass can we use all types of transportation (bullet train, normal train, bus, underground)?
2. is there any limitations? 
3. do anyone know of any nice hotel (not capsule and not 5*) max 2-3 stations from Akihabara? 
After two weeks spend in Tokyo we want to start travel (Kanto region, Chubu and Kansai).
so we like to travel around for 1 month and make various visits to Onsen, Gardens, Shrines, Temples, Palaces, etc... (Of course if I "Accidentally" find an Anime shop on the way, I will take a peek ^_^ ). 
Questions: 
1. I read somewhere that people with tattoos can't use some hot springs, is this true? 
2. Can anyone give me recommendation for some beautiful traditional Ryokan with rottenburo in areas i mentioned above? 
In October I have plans to visit Takayama festival (9-11 oct.) 
Questions: 
1. Did anyone visit this city before? If yes, what are your thoughts? 
2. Do anyone know about any Festivals, Concerts, Events, etc.... between August and November? 
After Takayama festival plan is to slowly travel south with main stop in Kyoto and finish travel in Osaka, where we like to get bullet train back to Tokyo. Do a souvenirs shopping and fly back home. 

Most onsen and public baths (except for yakuza-owned ones) don't allow tattoos into the bath.  The reason for this is because regular people don't want anything to do with yakuza, and in Japan having a tattoo means you are associated with them.  It is polite for foreigners to cover up tattoos with a bandage or band-aid, but if you have a huge one, you are screwed, lol.

Most onsen and public baths (except for yakuza-owned ones) don't allow tattoos into the bath. The reason for this is because regular people don't want anything to do with yakuza, and in Japan having a tattoo means you are associated with them. It is polite for foreigners to cover up tattoos with a bandage or band-aid, but if you have a huge one, you are screwed, lol.

Lol not a huge one but couple of them.... :) if I have to cover all of them I will feel like mummy

Is there any guide which show where I can go with tattoos?

Mmm... not that I know of.  Tattoos are a general taboo over there, so people generally just don't get them unless they are already yakuza or planning to join.  Even if a young person gets a tattoo, they generally get it removed later, because companies won't hire them if they have one and the company finds out.  It really is that much of a cultural no-no there.  I was a bit surprised when I found out that most young people share that attitude, to a lesser extent.  While they make allowances for foreigners (ie. allowing them to break bath protocol by wearing a bandage or a band-aid over them), it doesn't change the fact that you'll probably be asked to leave if you try to go into the bath without it covered up.

Mmm... not that I know of.  Tattoos are a general taboo over there, so people generally just don't get them unless they are already yakuza or planning to join.  Even if a young person gets a tattoo, they generally get it removed later, because companies won't hire them if they have one and the company finds out.  It really is that much of a cultural no-no there.  I was a bit surprised when I found out that most young people share that attitude, to a lesser extent.  While they make allowances for foreigners (ie. allowing them to break bath protocol by wearing a bandage or a band-aid over them), it doesn't change the fact that you'll probably be asked to leave if you try to go into the bath without it covered up.

Well seems like best option will be to contact Ryokan i choose directly and ask.... 

thanks for the reply though. One of my questions is answered, now the rest ^_^