Flyable Heart - Aaeru re-translating?

Steve

Pretty sure the translation is shit, both according to what I've managed to dig up searching myself as well as asking around.

Ixrec (Ammy Translations) -

Afaik, the machine translated one is the only patch that's ever been attempted, much less released...The drama mostly resulted from the many 4chan threads made by Cudder (who I think was the person in charge of retrans, which was used to make the patch), in which she not only posted updates on the patch (which is totally reasonable), but fervently defended the quality of the patch against all the blatantly valid accusations of it being total shit. I even saw one guy post a JP 4koma for her to translate to prove she understood the language, and she promptly embarrassed herself by getting the joke completely wrong.

In retrospect, many of us think the whole affair was a hugely successful attempt at trolling/attention whoring.

For the record, my favorite mis-tl pointed out in those threads has got to be よっと -> "yacht".

In other words, a collection of barely edited machine tl-ed scripts dumped into a patch. You might be interested in reading this: http://vndb.org/t1446

No idea about a new tl project though.

I see, thanks for the info, I will wait for the new retrans.

I am afraid of reading lots of topics and stuff because often times people can post spoilers there and I am allergic to spoilers xD Even minor one can ruin an experience for me :P

So I better asked here :)

Effort is no excuse for quality. A patch exists. I'm simply saying that the quality of this translation is objectively bad. Flyable Heart happens to be an easier game than most, so machine translations will get you farther than normal, but you'll still be missing nuance and detail. Not only that, the English is objectively bad as well - how well it flows aside, there are a veritable plethora of grammar and spelling errors. Some sentences simply don't make sense.

You can read it if you want, but, well, you'd likely do better using TL Aggregator and piecing the sentences together yourself.

I agree that most people don't care if a translation is super accurate or if it just makes sense and is fun to read.

I noticed this discussions even on anime subs as well, I've even seen people rage at someone using "cute" as a translation to "moe" and I personally don't care about that.

However why I asked here is to find out if the translation is actually mostly machine TL.

I don't want to start any flame wars or anything.

Someone spent time in there, maybe to improve his Japanese or whatever.

But it doesn't mean free things are not subject to critique. They are and they should be.

If it is true that some of the lines don't even make sense, it is a problem for me and I (as a consumer of free things) don't want it and I can pick up something else in the meanwhile.

There is lots of free things that simply need to be rated, just look at the amount of really bad youtube videos.

Its not about elitism in this case, I don't care if they use Black-san or Mr. Black, as long as the sentences make sense.

That's all.

>I noticed this discussions even on anime subs as well, I've even seen people rage at someone using "cute" as a translation to "moe" and I personally don't care about that.

>Its not about elitism in this case, I don't care if they use Black-san or Mr. Black, as long as the sentences make sense.

Well, technically this is referring to adaptation, which is a separate issue from translation completely. I agree that it doesn't matter how you adapt it as long as the translation is accurate, but that's just not the case here. Like I said, it's a poorly edited machine translated script dump (which answers your question).

This is not 4chan. Please use the quote function.

Like I said' date=' it's a poorly edited machine translated script dump (which answers your question). [/quote']That's not what you said, that's what Ixrec said. You can find his original post if you Google some of the text, and you have conveniently left out this sentence:

which is definitely not true.

As the translator specifically requested a spelling check, we are quite confident that there remains very little if any spelling errors in the text.

The amount of misinformation floating out there about this release is huge, and comes from "the old culture".

Let's keep Fuwanovel neighbourly. :)

As the translator specifically requested a spelling check, we are quite confident that there remains very little if any spelling errors in the text.

The amount of misinformation floating out there about this release is huge, and comes from "the old culture".

Let's keep Fuwanovel neighbourly. smile.gif

Hm I guess ill believe 2 fellow fuwanovelers, you and Andregate.

I just hope I won't get to a part where it really becomes wonky and hard to read and understand, because I want to enjoy this VN as much as possible, seems like my style very much (lots of lolis xD).

So my future happiness will rest in your hands!

>I noticed this discussions even on anime subs as well, I've even seen people rage at someone using "cute" as a translation to "moe" and I personally don't care about that.

>Its not about elitism in this case, I don't care if they use Black-san or Mr. Black, as long as the sentences make sense.

Well, technically this is referring to adaptation, which is a separate issue from translation completely. I agree that it doesn't matter how you adapt it as long as the translation is accurate, but that's just not the case here. Like I said, it's a poorly edited machine translated script dump (which answers your question).

There is infact alot of people who have read the translation and enjoyed it, most of them didn't hear about the lack of "quality" translation beforehand. Those who did, mostly complain saying it is horrible and unreadable. When they complain it's mostly if they see typos or they are quoting someone else opinion.

Most people can't see the difference anyway, as they aren't translators themselves. As long as people can enjoy the transation, it doesn't matter if it isin't 99.99% accurate. (Even less important is that in the less story driven vn's) The translators don't own anything to the creators, they are fan tranlations. If you want a 100% accurate translation as so many is applauding, you should learn japanese youself and read it in japanese. That is how o'holy Ixrec is thinking, as he haven't read a single english translated VN. He wouldn't dirty the holy story's of the creators. That should state how important he thinks of being accurate and how he will view lesser translated vn's.

Not that I am against Ixrec he has translated alot of good stuff and likely will keep on doing so. But this elitsim doesn't help the community, transations or expantion to the west. It just makes it worse. Though it is not surprising how strongly some feel about quaility, thinking about the crazy amount of hours they use to translate. It goes without saying, that it is not only pride that is at stake, but also the thought that you have created something that you feel matter, somthing you can feel proud of and is perhaps a work of art. By not stressing the importance of quility you will by yourself state that someones accurate and more time staking work is of the same value. How despicable don't you think?

tl;dr: Enjoyment is up the the reader, quaility is up to the tranlator. Translate as you wish, but don't scorn those who don't do as you.

Well I might as well ask here since ReTrans did the hacking.

Is it 100% necessary to use the custom font? I just love my MS gothic too much.

And the custom font doesn't even have anti-aliasing :(

See:

(if its the only way, ill deal with it though)

lmYmV.png

you have conveniently left out this sentence...

Because that was relevant to Steve's question how?

tl;dr: Enjoyment is up the the reader, quaility is up to the tranlator. Translate as you wish, but don't scorn those who don't do as you.

You can read it if you want, but, well, you'd likely do better using TL Aggregator and piecing the sentences together yourself.

Well I read it for 2 hours now and its much better than Aggregator or Annot player TL. It is definitely not machine TL, it is normal TL but the author used some translator for words he didn't understand and and put it together as he could.

Yes, it could use some little edit, here and there is a sentence which is grammatically incorrect, but this isn't some English essay, I can understand it just fine the way it is.

I am reading with aggregator and annot other VNs myself, trying to read the the sentences and put them together, its slow and you lose immersion all the time (therefore I only read Nukige that way so far) and when I compare it to this, fullscreen, auto mode easy peasy reading that makes sense. Like 60% is voices anyway so I can just skim through the English translation to catch the important words and put the rest together from the voice, another 10% is explaining current CG or situation so I only depend like 30% (protagonist speech + thoughts) on the actual TL and it works very well.

So again, it could use editing to fix some sentences of type "expelling will happen" into "will be expelled" but other than that it is working as it should, better than not playing this at all and muuuuuuch better than aggregator/annot.

Not using the font may lead to issues later on as that is not a configuration we tested and support. In other words, if it works then great; if it doesn't, then it's not unexpected either. The MiscFixedSC613 font name is embedded in the engine and that is what it looks for; if it can't find that font then it will fallback to some system-determined font that depends on what fonts you have installed, and clearly we cannot test with all configurations of fonts available on user's system. The reason for the custom font is to allow readability at the size that was needed to fit all the text.

In your favour, the majority of crashes caused by not having the right font has happened very early in the game, so 2 hours through may have passed that point, but it's not a guarantee. Proceed at your own risk, save early and often.

Regarding accuracy this definitely is nowhere near perfect. It was the translator's first time. You may find the quality decreases for a little while because at some point he was competing with another translation attempt so some parts were rushed, but should increase after that toward the end.

Is it 100% necessary to use the custom font? I just love my MS gothic too much.

And the custom font doesn't even have anti-aliasing sad.gif

Yeah you need it, If you don't install this font (MiscFixedS) program will be crash.

i 've trying many fonts and don't worry, current font is the best compared to Arial, Times, and many other regular fonts (something like 'Kunstler Script' will be out of question biggrin.gif) .

yeah im using the default, style 2, got used to it after 9 hours currently played :) But still gothic is the best font for VNs for me :P

The accuracy doesn't really matter in common that much, I just hope that the routes itself are good and understandable. I seem to be going towards Kururi.