How did you start reading VNs?

AMMSY

Mind if I bump this thread a bit?

You don't? Okay, thanks.

I think it was some time during either January or February of 2012, that I more or less on accident clicked on an article for a certain game named Katawa Shoujo. Since it was free and I did not have a lot of other things to do, and downloaded it, read it and absolutely loved it. It made me go out and try a look for other visual novels, but it really wasn't until I found fuwanovel about a year later that I seriously started getting into VNs, as for the longest time I had no information on what visual novels were worth reading or where and how to download them. The only thing I really had to go by back then were that I would go and play the VNs which had been adapted into anime,, which is why my second, third and forth VN ended up being Clannad, Kanon and Fate/Stay night, and it would also take me several hours to get the games up and running because they did not come pre-patched or anything.  :(

Seriously, praise be to fuwanovel and Aaeru-sama.  :wub: 

Dear lord, I hope we can keep this community as great of a place as it was when I first found it.

Pointless fun fact of the day; it was actually one of my IRL friends who first introduced me to the site, although he had been immediately scared away from it because, quote; "They were all a bunch of perverts". (He had accidentally ended up in a conversation with Steve)

Pointless fun fact of the day; it was actually one of my IRL friends who first introduced me to the site, although he had been immediately scared away from it because, quote; "They were all a bunch of perverts". (He had accidentally ended up in a conversation with Steve)

No surprise there. That was my first impression too :D

Though having spent a short while on a certain MLP forum, I find this place pretty clean.

(He had accidentally ended up in a conversation with Steve)

yyyyyyyyyyy

But on a more serious note, since you bumped this thread, I'll go ahead and join in on the loot :ph34r:

Well, I actually started reading VN's not so far ago, about 10 months or so. I was watching an anime review by arkada, about "the world God only knows", and I got very interested in the whole idea of VN's. But it wasn't until I watched his Clannad review that I actually tried one. He mentioned how the story was "so touching, it will bring the manliest man to tears" and, being the manly man I am, I took this as a personal challenge, and since I don't like watching lovey dovey anime, I decided to try the VN. I actually finished all 5 side routes before interring one of the main routes, but when I did... I got emotionally involved like never before... I actually cared deeply about what would happen to the protag and his love interest. Don't get me wrong, I never care about this normally. And you know what? I don't remember why exactly, but I got so close to crying... this close... aaaaaaaand I uninstalled the dam thing before finishing the route, cuz I had exams :D.

But I was so scared of the power of this thing, I ended up not trying another VN until a month had passed. Then I discovered ashadow, who "guided" my VN path pretty well. I got to play some awesome VN's cuz of him, like Rewrite, Rewrite and Rewrite!

Then I ended up here with you guys. And I suppose you know the story as good as I from there

yyyyyyyyyyy

But on a more serious note, since you bumped this thread, I'll go ahead and join in on the loot :ph34r:

Well, I actually started reading VN's not so far ago, about 10 months or so. I was watching an anime review by arkada, about "the world God only knows", and I got very interested in the whole idea of VN's. But it wasn't until I watched his Clannad review that I actually tried one. He mentioned how the story was "so touching, it will bring the manliest man to tears" and, being the manly man I am, I took this as a personal challenge, and since I don't like watching lovey dovey anime, I decided to try the VN. I actually finished all 5 side routes before interring one of the main routes, but when I did... I got emotionally involved like never before... I actually cared deeply about what would happen to the protag and his love interest. Don't get me wrong, I never care about this normally. And you know what? I don't remember why exactly, but I got so close to crying... this close... aaaaaaaand I uninstalled the dam thing before finishing the route, cuz I had exams :D.

But I was so scared of the power of this thing, I ended up not trying another VN until a month had passed. Then I discovered ashadow, who "guided" my VN path pretty well. I got to play some awesome VN's cuz of him, like Rewrite, Rewrite and Rewrite!

Then I ended up here with you guys. And I suppose you know the story as good as I from there

Heh... and here I was thinking that Rewrite was a really, really bad introduction point to VNs. Even if it was only the second one.  :rolleyes:

And I'm still happy that you found your way here man. Makes all those endless hours I spend dealing with trolls over at youtube while like its worth it.  ^_^

Although, out of curiosity I still have to ask; why did uninstall Clannad when you ran into the IRL wall we all have to deal with called "school". Why didn't you just stop playing it and come back a while later?

Heh... and here I was thinking that Rewrite was a really, really bad introduction point to VNs. Even if it was only the second one. :rolleyes:

And I'm still happy that you found your way here man. Makes all those endless hours I spend dealing with trolls over at youtube while like its worth it. ^_^

Although, out of curiosity I still have to ask; why did uninstall Clannad when you ran into the IRL wall we all have to deal with called "school". Why didn't you just stop playing it and come back a while later?

Oh man, why did you have to ask...

Well, I was very close to shedding tears, and if I did, I would feel like I lost to Arkada... And I don't like that feeling! I have no idea how people enjoy crying... But I sure don't :D

Oh and it was starting to get repetitive and boring. I've rarely ever finished a VN completely...

Oh man, why did you have to ask...

Well, I was very close to shedding tears, and if I did, I would feel like I lost to Arkada... And I don't like that feeling! I have no idea how people enjoy crying... But I sure don't :D

Oh and it was starting to get repetitive and boring. I've rarely ever finished a VN completely...

Haha! I get it, it's always hard being proven wrong.  ;)

Watched Fate/Stay Night around 2007-2008. Back then I wasn't so very deep into the story development and structure of plot, characters, etc. Then, out of no where, when I saw Fate/Stay Night again and I think I read about the visual novel being done and a lot of people praising it. I decided to set up a new thread on BBT threads (which is now home to all Fate series) and I invited few people to play along with me. So the first, I think ... let me see, it was a bit odd to read something that is 'still' (not moving) but I enjoyed the music and the long speeches, or detailed stuff. I believe the novel speaks about the first three days from Rin's point of view which literally made me fall in love with the visual novel. Then after Saber emerges and how everything fell into place it was like Fate/Stay Night non-stop for three weeks until I beat every arc (all 5 arcs), unlocked all 40 Bad endings, unlocked the onsen bath, and watched the Final Episode. Yeah this was a really deep, deep VN.

Though right now the best VN is Muv-Luv Alternative in my opinion. Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua is amazing as it stands but I AL (Alternative) absolutely mind-fucked my heart.