How to install the same game twice?

fun2novel

Is there a way to have two installations of the same visual novel?

Some VNs on Fuwanovel don't need to be played without installing. Can anybody explain the process of doing that?

Basically I want to have both the English patched version and the original Japanese versions playable at the same time.

Yeah but the thing is not all Fuwanovel games are prepatched. And there are other games that aren't on the site anyway.

I want to simply have two versions installed at the same time. It doesn't have to be actually installed, I will be  ok with a prepatched version in one folder and the original installed in another.

I'm sure there is a way to do it.

For games that don't require installing:

Simply have both the english and the original version in different folders and run the .exe of the one you want to play.

Nothing should go wrong.

For games that require installing:

Simply install one of the games in a different root than the other (create a folder to install it in, it doesn't have to be inside the programs folder)

And then just run each .exe seperately depending on which version you want to play. It should work fine.

Yeah but the thing is not all Fuwanovel games are prepatched. And there are other games that aren't on the site anyway.

I want to simply have two versions installed at the same time. It doesn't have to be actually installed, I will be  ok with a prepatched version in one folder and the original installed in another.

I'm sure there is a way to do it.

Eh, if there is a way it probably has something to do with muddling with registry entries, which I don't know much about, I'm afraid. :/

Eh, if there is a way it probably has something to do with muddling with registry entries, which I don't know much about, I'm afraid. :/

They said it's fine to have both versions seperately so there's no issue. Just install the games in different directories. Or if they don't require install just have both folders and run whichever you'd like. Nothing should go wrong here.

At least that was the idea i got.

Nosebleed, this is the first thing I tried. But pretty much every game knows that it is already installed on my computer so it doesn't let me install it again, only play it.

It says it's already installed without letting you chose the directory to install it in? That's weird.

If it does involve change in the registry then I'm not the person to help. But i'm pretty sure it should let you install the game more than once. I have some untranslated VNs on my computer alongside their english ones and i can run them seperately. Though none of them requries install.

It says it's already installed without letting you chose the directory to install it in? That's weird.

If it does involve change in the registry then I'm not the person to help. But i'm pretty sure it should let you install the game more than once. I have some untranslated VNs on my computer alongside their english ones and i can run them seperately. Though none of them requries install.

Yeah, that's exactly the problem. The installer for most VNs I've actually installed only lets you uninstall or run the game if it detects it. If there's no installer or it's a simpler one then there is no problem at all.

I'm to try installing something again and see how it goes. One thing I also tried is to install the game then copy the director to another place. Uninstall the game and run the game from the copied directory. It sometimes works but it also creates some unexpected problems. One of these is it still thinks that the save folder is where the game was originally installed, lol.

Yeah, that's exactly the problem. The installer for most VNs I've actually installed only lets you uninstall or run the game if it detects it. If there's no installer or it's a simpler one then there is no problem at all.

Then it probably does require some change in the registry but I have no clue what to do about that.

And when you look at it it does make sense that you can't have the same game installed twice. 

After googling a bit there are some suggestions that basicly require renaming either the folder the game is installed in (so the setup doesn't detect it) or rename the folder in the actual registry entry so (again) the setup doesn't detect it. I'm not the tech guy to help with this though so maybe Luch would like to give his input.

I'm to try installing something again and see how it goes. One thing I also tried is to install the game then copy the director to another place. Uninstall the game and run the game from the copied directory. It sometimes works but it also creates some unexpected problems. One of these is it still thinks that the save folder is where the game was originally installed, lol.

The registry entry needs to be changed so the saves go to the new folder. 

How are those prepatched Fuwanovel visual novels do it then?

It depends on the novel. Wether it requires install or not. If it requires install then it'll change the registry, since the registry entries are the same as the japanese game (i'm assuming), the japanese installer detects the game as installed and won't let you install it again.

For games that don't require install just have 2 separate folders for them.

For the first one i'm not the person to help since i don't know how to mess with the registry.

Ok, so it can work except for one thing. Even if the installed game is copies to a new directory it will still reference the same save directory (and probably other configuration files.)

Yes, That's why you need to change in the registry the root folder for the save files (and other stuff possibly). However i don't know how to do that and i'm pretty sure you have to change each registry entry for each game so the only way to help further is to post which are the games you want and someome who's knowledgable enough can help you change the registry to the right path.

Sorry i can't be of more help in this.

Yeah but I don't think my system can handle it, lol.

Well I have an even worse problem now. One of my games doesn't recognize the serial number anymore so it can't verify. I am going crazy here, is there a way to erase all the data about this game from my computer? Will my code word this way?