Da Capo III Fan Translation at 34%!

Your response is intriguing. Let me add some additional information to the scenario.

Upon further investigation, you discover that the version of the game they're selling has been edited. Claiming they translated the game, they've stripped out all credits to the fan translator (you) and have replaced them with their own credit roll. It's quite clear to you however that your translation was used, verbatim. In addition, they sell the game at a hefty profit, well beyond the cost of the media used for distribution.

Would this new information change your reaction at all?

given that she releases her translations under creative commons 3.0 attribution, you should probably look what that actually means lol

(Allow modifications of your work? Yes and Allow commercial uses of your work, yes)

[ as for me, if I translated something for fun, I'd be posting it on my site first anyways, which then I can still use my (fan/not) translations as a portfolio anyways (if I translated something for say a firm for some reason, then the content belongs to that firm really). and say this happens to me for one of my fan translations, I'm not sure why it matters, because I never actually *owned* my translations, and it'll be silly to try to sue them even if so, because then you can also be sued by the company who made the game :lol ip:

I should note this did happen to me with Doki (although not for money, and I could care less), my translation of the Nanoha Movie 1st PV was (ok, accidentally) stolen by them, but I'm not sure why it really matters as I don't own the rights to the nanoha movie anyways, and I translated it because

1) it wasn't translated

2) to practice my japanese

3) to use it in my portfolio

4) to see if I can do everything in the video myself

actually someone else on youtube uploaded it under themselves too, it was kinda hilarious. so I uploaded my original one and posted it to my blog anyways.]

*shrug*

given that she releases her translations under creative commons 3.0 attribution, you should probably look what that actually means lol

(Allow modifications of your work? Yes and Allow commercial uses of your work, yes)

That is a nice way to sum this conversation up.

Your response is intriguing. Let me add some additional information to the scenario.

Upon further investigation, you discover that the version of the game they're selling has been edited. Claiming they translated the game, they've stripped out all credits to the fan translator (you) and have replaced them with their own credit roll. It's quite clear to you however that your translation was used, verbatim. In addition, they sell the game at a hefty profit, well beyond the cost of the media used for distribution.

Would this new information change your reaction at all?

then that's plagiarism, and has nothing to do with copyright or IP. That's a dishonesty thing.

While others get really upset, myself I do not care.

I don't even care if another fan translator claimed my work for their own. These ppl will be found out real fast, word will spread, and their name will stink for the rest of eternity.

As for the selling for profit, as soon as I've released the blueprint for others to manufacture their own copy of the translation into the public, it is none of my business, utterly none of my business what they do with their own copy. They can sample from it, they can copy it, they can sell it, they can parody it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy7fgfodly4 as soon as you put something out into the public, it's gone. it goes in all directions, it's out there now. you can't control it's movement anymore because to control it is to control other people's use of their hands, feets and minds and bodies.

• 2 weeks later...