Starting to learn how to draw anime - any tips?

laiktail

Hey everyone!

Starting from having completely no experience whatsoever, I'd like to learn how to draw and colour visual-novel style (i.e. anime) art for the purpose of creating art for a visual novel.

Any pointers on where I should start? Guides? Utensils? Communities? Any and all information would be really helpful! :D

Maybe you can find this link helpful and you can search for the tutorials at deviantart

For the software I think photoshop is enough, or maybe you wanna give a try to Clip Studio Paint or SAI

Draw manually (using pen and paper) If you haven't tried drawing tablet. (It's much more easier and cheaper)

Scan it and finalize your work using the software above.

For the tools:

-Pens, pencils, eraser, and papers.

-Scanner

-Drawing tablet (Not really necessary, but it makes easier for finalizing yor works)

And for the materials (for the software), I happened to have this book.

Well, I don't wanna unbind it and make an ebook from that book, but I can share the materials which is included in that book.

-Edited-

Edited by Ragnar

I don't really have good advices on guides you should use, but I have one on guides you shouldn't: be careful if you want to buy one of those "Draw Like In Manga" books you can find everywhere, most of them are bad. Don't buy one of them if it wasn't recommended to you by someone who knows what he's talking about. 

I would suggest starting with lolis, they are small so it should be easier to draw favicon.png

Some day I'm gonna read one of Steve's posts and he won't have managed to make a reference to lolis. But this day has yet to come.

I don't really have good advices on guides you should use, but I have one on guides you shouldn't: be careful if you want to buy one of those "Draw Like In Manga" books you can find everywhere, most of them are bad. Don't buy one of them if it wasn't recommended to you by someone who knows what he's talking about. 

Agreed.. It's better to search for the ebook first (And if you like it.. BUY it), well I don't really know about my recommendation b'coz it was recommended by my friend (and of course I don't have all of them) so I'll take my recommendation away (Sorry..)

Steve, I might stay away from being starting out lolicon style LOL.

Thanks Ragnar and Down for the tips!! Hmm I think I will start with paper and pen then, Ragnar - I have an iPad and styluses but I think using them will be kinda hard to learn with, so I'll follow your advice. :) And Down - I was wondering about those! The illustrations that they have as their covers are usually really bad...I haven't seen a exception yet but it's be really cool to know if it exists or not!

Haha REtransInternational - maybe I'll just photoshop CGs from Rewrite and call it a day.

• 4 weeks later...

About tips on drawing..Suprising i would like some two xD..
but enough of me..
Regards to Programs on a computer..The best that i have seen and use myself is Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
Also i would recomend starting with Pencil and paper(although i myself can only draw faces :( ).
About YouTube channel MarkCrilley...Suprisingly enough that was where i started myself..He is Great and Drawing and most of his videos he shows step by step on certain ways on how to draw certain elements..
Anyway i wish you the best of luck on your Journeys of Drawing as i have always enjoyed it myself.