Looking for good role play Game Master

Steve

I recently started watching some starcraft 2 personalities Role Play

WH 40k

DnD

And it seems like fun, I never actually did it so I would like to try it. Luch might also be interested as the silent person xD He would probably have to talk a bit more than usually (like 1000% more even for a silent character xD) but it could be fun. And maybe Batman would join too so it would make space for like 1 more player.

But we would need some good gamemaster.

I think Tay would make good one, he seems like that person xD

But if any other of you are good at it, let me know, I want to use you tongue.gif

PS: it would require very good microphone, like for example what the GM Steve in the WH 40k has, as some of us are not native English speakers and might have problems understanding a person with terrible mic and noise in background (but then again I think even English speakers would have problem with that xD).

So someone who can talk like the guys in the videos, I understand them completely fine, but I remember that some terrible mic people from guilds I played some MMOs with I couldn't understand well (But that said again, one of my Czech friends has terrible mic and environment and I can't understand him even in Czech so maybe the language doesn't really matter xD).

If you're looking for a game master, It would be recommended for you to specify what game you want a GM for. Like, if you're into sci-fi or just like the classic D&D setting. For more universal appeal, D&D would be the best choice as a lot of people know either how to play, or just know of the series of pen and paper rpgs. So, it gives people a base to work off of in terms of knowledge about the game and its rules.

It doens't really matter what world it is in, I played tons of computer games so I would be fine with all the fantasy words like the races, creatures and such and even in the sci-fi settings all the races, weapons and such, spaceship traveling options etc.

Like sure if it is a universe in which like there is no warp drive or something then I guess I would get informed about it.

I think think we 3 I mentioned (me, luch, batman) are pretty experienced in all RPGs and other games so that should be fine.

So whatever works for the GM and what he knows the best.

Im looking for some play like in the videos, it seems just free and relaxed and even if you don't know the exact lore of the universe, thats the GMs job to introduce it to you.

edit:

and as for personal preference, I actually love post apocalyptic desert wasteland the most, ala Fallout (I would so own RP in Fallout universe, know all the tricks xD). But I don't know if there are any RP games from that universe, probably are but don't know if any GM is skilled at them.

So again, whether it is fantasy, scifi or whatever, let it just be the one that the GM himself is the most experienced with (and can present in the best way possible), I can adapt to everything.

I've DM'd a few games over the internet back when I used to play EVE with my EVE corpmates. Tho we did it over IRC.

I dont have a good mic and I also have a heavy accent, so that might not be an option, tho if you want to do a campaign over IRC I could cook something up.

Hm actually I never thought about not using voice. How do you think that works since you tried it.

I mean from what I saw in the videos, it is lot about the voice as the GM makes the voices for the NPCs and when players talk they can like imply the tone and emotion etc. Wouldn't that be lost if it all was just text based?

But then again, if you would actually have 2 guys with 2 different European accents, one guy with whatever accent you have and 1 guy talking in loud whisper (like a Batman), it would require very good audio on all ends, so maybe the chat thing wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I'd say we could use teamspeak chat and private chats (and have like avatars and such there) and roll20.net for rolls and maps the GM would draw (and I guess GM can use whatever to roll for the secret rolls) so it could work.

But then again, you like cannot say what yell or battle cheer you use and such xD

Well tell me how the chat one worked out for you and if it was funny and all that, ill also ask around a bit.

Btw not sure if you saw parts of the videos at least but that like the atmosphere I would like to have, like chilled mood, doing funny things, calling your moves etc xD Like having references to what we know about each other here from fuwanovel etc (so you would probably want to hide all the little girls from me in the game etc :P).

Anyways yeah, we might be onto something...

Well I can give you the report how it was with our group.

We first tried it over Teamspeak, I wasnt doing the DM in that try, but was just a player.

We had 2 americans and 1 canadian who spoke good accent free easy understandable english. While my english is pretty good I have a pretty strong eastern european accent, then we also had an australian who had a very distinct way of talking so it took some time to get used to it. It had problems here and there, but the main problem was. One of the guys had a very soft whispery voice and another one was very shy and didnt talk much. It kinda sucks for roleplaying purposes as they only could roleplay shy characters. It isnt really viable to roleplay a womanizer bard when you're not talking much.

After the first game we decided to try out doing it over IRC. I was doing the DungeonMaster.

We used some GURPS rules and I wrote a basic science fiction setting, it wasnt anything special. A corporation hired a group of people to infiltrate and sabotage another one and I made the quests based around it.

In the IRC we used OOC: (out of character) everytime we were talking about anything not related to the game. Banter between us, random smalltalk and such stuff. We really had an awesome mood going on like in that video, while we were rolling and doing our quest we were talking about many things.

Most of the time they talked in character, like one guy roleplayed an ace hacker who was afraid of women. Anytime he was talking to a questnpc or partymember that was female he'd stutter. While you dont have intonation you have plenty of ways to characterize your speech. Like that guy was always writing "H-h-hello g-g-ood to m-m-meet you" or I had a quest NPC say someting along the lines "A shady merchant approached your group, he was talking in a sneery voice and was belittling you when he asked you if you want to buy some weapons"

And you can have your character yell out his attacks.

I could announce that a group of rats approaches the group. You could then write something along the lines of "Steve the warrior jumped at the enemies and yelled LIGHTNING FLASH" and then you roll for your attack.

Or we could use the IRC solely for incharacter/gamerelated stuff and use teamspeak for out of character talking.

I'm also a very fast typer which makes it a bit easy for me to dungeonmaster in IRC.

If you're interested in this and have some people interested we can do something.

I'll be on holiday from august 3rd - august 12th, I could use that time to come up with a setting and a story, could be fantasy or sci-fi.

Fantasy is a very good/easy first time p&p rpg as it is easier to write a setting/roleplay in and there's very good beginner friendly fantasy rulesets. A science fiction or post-apocalypse setting would be a lil bit more demanding in the rules section depending on what you want to have, cybernetics, vehicles, drugs, etc etc.

I think as an experience, role playing over chat and roll playing using voice are very different experiences. Although, the overall tone of "I'm a character in a fantasy world" isn't lost, but you lose a lot of possibilities in play. I don't have much experience in p&p rpgs having only played a few games, but I have had many a moment where having a voice gave me more versatility and comfort than typing out words on my keyboard could. Personally, I haven't tried it using IRC but, I think I would use it a more of a last resort because of the fun having a voice brings.

The chink in the armour of my argument is that you don't have many choices when it comes to GM's, so the more experienced, the better to ease you into a world. So, although you lose something in the experience, you gain a lot more overall.

Awww, Steve. The fuzzies.*

Yeah... I've done the whole DM thing before. I actually worked for and wrote D&D adventures for Wizards' website! If you choose a game (and I know how it works), I'd be happy to. Otherwise, I'd enjoy reading summaries of your epic adventures here on the forums!

I think Tay would make good one, he seems like that person xD

Taking this as a good thing. Which I'm not totally sure is right.

Awww, Steve. The fuzzies.*

Yeah... I've done the whole DM thing before. I actually worked for and wrote D&D adventures for Wizards' website! If you choose a game (and I know how it works), I'd be happy to. Otherwise, I'd enjoy reading summaries of your epic adventures here on the forums!

Taking this as a good thing. Which I'm not totally sure is right.

eee-xcellent!

mr-burns.gif

I choose you, Tay~

You will be the one picking the game I guess, I don't thing it really matters what the game actually is as most of the story is created by the players and the GM on the run (?? question mark?? xD).

Like you know what you are best at I guess, something you know lot about so you can create good stuff smile.gif

If you have more stuff you are equally good at, you can give me like pick and I will choose one.

And lately after watching like 30 hours of the RPing of the guys I posted, I might actually lean more towards the classic D&D fantasy as it seems like the one that is the most polished and like rich setting for these kind of games. But again, I never played it so it would probably be up to you.

Also how is your microphone, last time I actually didn't get to actually talk to you when you were on TS so I can't tell. Is it good for voice chat?

And yeah, writing overviews of what happened in the episodes like a story is a great idea, we could maybe even record it all and post here as a series that could became a thing on fuwanovel if it has success and sprout even more games with other GMs and other groups.

And for the last part:

I actually did mean it as a good thing, you actually always seemed like a gamemaster of some sorts, Archmage Tay, admin here on fuwan pulling the strings all over the place and silently controlling everything~

A long reply to Steve's post. 'pologize for the wall of text.

I choose you, Tay~

You will be the one picking the game I guess, I don't thing it really matters what the game actually is as most of the story is created by the players and the GM on the run (?? question mark?? xD)... And lately after watching like 30 hours of the RPing of the guys I posted, I might actually lean more towards the classic D&D fantasy as it seems like the one that is the most polished and like rich setting for these kind of games. But again, I never played it so it would probably be up to you.

Like visual novels ("there's an erogue for that"), there's a roleplaying system for every idea under the sun. You could pick something like D&D (any of 6 versions), or Star Wars or Warcraft or something cool and indie, etc. I've done all the "classic" D&Ds, up to version 4.0, but ultimately I'm good at learning these systems. One idea would be to choose a system new to all of us, so we start on equal footing. I don't mind the extra work.

In any case -- pick one you will be excited about. I'm flexible. (yup, totally just threw the game choice back at you) (but you started it) (so there).

Also how is your microphone, last time I actually didn't get to actually talk to you when you were on TS so I can't tell. Is it good for voice chat?

I skype all the time with Batman and Ryoji. Batman would know better than I. Oh, and speaking of Batman, you said he'll be playing with us? Who all is part of this merry band?

And yeah, writing overviews of what happened in the episodes like a story is a great idea, we could maybe even record it all and post here as a series that could became a thing on fuwanovel if it has success and sprout even more games with other GMs and other groups.

It would be awesome.

I actually did mean it as a good thing, you actually always seemed like a gamemaster of some sorts, Archmage Tay, admin here on fuwan pulling the strings all over the place and silently controlling everything~

Bwah ha ha ha ha. Actually, as far as Fuwa goes, I'm trying to work myself out of a job. All my secret works are starting to wrap themselves up, though! After that I'll probably just retire to a cushy spot on the forums and wait for the royalties from my fanfics to roll in.

If your looking for a game, I know of a few and although I haven't played any of them, they are constantly recommended and generally known as great systems.

Most of you would have already heard of GURPS, a p&p rpg framework that allows you to play in basically any setting,

Another popular one is a classic for cyberpunk settings, the game cyberpunk (yup, it was pretty much a given)

Warhammer, as it is in one of the videos you posted

Shadowrun, is another cool cyberpunk one

There are some other generic frameworks but because of it's popularity, GURPS probably has you covered. Although, a popular game with an already established world with lots of quirk and charm like the ones stated above and D&D will probably fit your needs as a group the best. The different systems and worlds these types of games establish gives you a lot to explore in the ways of creating a character unique to you and giving you a unique experience that you could only have with those unique systems in tandem with their setting.

I skype all the time with Batman and Ryoji. Batman would know better than I. Oh, and speaking of Batman, you said he'll be playing with us? Who all is part of this merry band?

Your mic quality is good enough, better when you're at home. As for me playing, sure, I guess? I've never played anything like these before so, yeah.

A long reply to Steve's post. 'pologize for the wall of text.

Like visual novels ("there's an erogue for that"), there's a roleplaying system for every idea under the sun.

Magitech+Fantasy+Urban+Post-Societal (with sections that have little urban and lots of foliage and then lots of urban overgrown with foliage).

That is my challenge to you sir.

Magitech+Fantasy+Urban+Post-Societal (with sections that have little urban and lots of foliage and then lots of urban overgrown with foliage).

That is my challenge to you sir.

Shadowrun.

This game features a good half of whatever you can think of, honestly.