Yumina the Ethereal: The highest profile official H-RPG release ever

sanahtlig

48 members have voted

1. 1. What would prompt you to consider buying Yumina the Ethereal?

• Opening movie
    • Gameplay trailer
    • Playable demo
    • A well-designed website (screenshots, character summaries, story synopsis)
    • Good reviews
    • I already knew about the game and was interested in buying it.
    • Nothing could convince me to buy this.
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Realized I didn't comment on the translation..... I'd have to say the translation for a western audience is quite good and there are really no noticeable problems. There are a few differences compared to the japanese version, but nothing someone who doesn't know japanese would notice.

なにこれ、SF、中二病?If you know japanese, you would realize that this is actually a freaking hilarious joke since the ethereal system is essentially "chuunibyou" (Chuunibyou is middle school syndrome when kids kind of create their own reality for themselves.)

However it got translated as "What is this, Star Trek?" because there is no english equivalent to chuunibyou, so they replaced it with a well known science fiction show, which more or less keeps the meaning of "is this shit for real?"

I think the localization is fine, at the very least they tried to work with the jokes instead of just removing them altogether. Seems like a pretty stable TL to me.

I've gone from being on the fence on this, to more than likely purchasing it soon. I haven't tried the demo yet, but sanahtlig's excitement over it, not to mention the art, as kind of won me over.

solidbatman is buying games, this must be a sign. There has to be something else to this.

Well, I personally wasn't all that impressed by what I've played of the demo so far, but I'm giving myself until I finish it before deciding. My main complaint would be that the battle system feels rather slow and repetitive, and I've only done a few battles so far so it looks a bit grim for the long run. Given everyone's excitment over it though, I'm still willing to give it a chance, things like not being in the mood or whatever can influence first impressions of a game too.

The trial reminded me a bit of The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, character-wise. The protagonist getting swept up by Yumina's earnestness (who is being manipulated in turn by Kirara) is part of the comedy. The protagonist isn't so much spineless as lazy and unmotivated, which leads to him opting for the path of least resistance.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

Yumina is so annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell, really? That girl is entering my most hated VN characters list >.>

In my first 30 minutes of playing, I almost decided to drop this entirely because of her about 15 times. This is going to be a tough road. I may have to simply skip the text whenever she speaks.

Otherwise, everything is fine. Good game~

Actually it gets better further along. I'm in 6th chapter now, and Sumika Yumina and Takeru Ayumu aren't as annoying as they were. Kirara is only saving grace tho.

Combat system is clone of Aselia with all its drawbacks. I'm already cringing at thought of attempting to do true route.

Actually it gets better further along. I'm in 6th chapter now, and Sumika Yumina and Takeru Ayumu aren't as annoying as they were. Kirara is only saving grace tho.

Combat system is clone of Aselia with all its drawbacks. I'm already cringing at thought of attempting to do true route.

Oh well. At least walking isn't so annoying. And you don't have to go until god-know-where to find an instructor to teach you a skill.

Kirara is the best character to me. Yumina is still annoying, even in chapter 6. I simply dislike characters like her. She's still entering my most hated VN character list.

Kirara is the best character to me. Yumina is still annoying, even in chapter 6. I simply dislike characters like her. She's still entering my most hated VN character list.

Yeah, I hate chars like her too. But mah list of violent bitches is too long already to have spot for Yumina, she is nowhere near Kugumia-tsunderes or Kirino (from OreImo) for example.

Still listing the differences between Yumina and Aselia, in Aselia you controled more than one group of 3 people, where one was the attacker, one was the defender and only one was left for skill use- While in Yumina, you have the forward who both attacks and defends + 3 skill users. The cap for the skills is also very different, since in Aselia the higher cap a skill could have was about 10 uses, while in Yumina you already start with skills over 20 uses. You also only control one group.

I could keep listing the differences, but I'll stop here. Great game overall.

I'm on super-hard now, and find battles to be very tedious due to goddamn animations. Apparently they didn't learn anything from Aselia in terms on making gameplay with replay value.

You probably already know this at this point but holding control speeds them up a good amount. Battles seem fast paced enough for me with that and I don't even use it all the time. Though I'm only on chapter 3 of regular mode so maybe it gets worse later.

Except for 3 missing scenes that I have no idea how to get, completed game.

Char routes were overall solid and interesting to read, although too fluffy and happyendish for space opera.

Odakuru was ruined by endless grinding. Reaching final boss took too much time for such mediocre and anticlimactic ending.

Epilogue (true end that you get after complete all routes and odakuru) was beyond ridiculous. Whatever good bits story had during char routes were thoroughly trumped here. Academy part of it wasn't nowhere as good as I hoped it would be too.

Overall its not bad, but my eyes still hurt from all these animations I had to endure. These guys should learn from Eushully on making VNs with enjoyable gameplay.

Also, release has TONS of quite apparent bugs. I wonder whether JAST did any QC at all.

http://rghost.net/private/48567223/7f03b543aac2d59758ff18b37ac5b3c6.view

http://rghost.net/private/48567237/da94de7d799d3b953d22e803bfc6c7c9.view

http://rghost.net/private/48567250/bdc272492eb332264183cb377f0e3bab.view

http://rghost.net/private/48567265/a34e2ec2839d67a0694c2c60d50f1c1e.view