Is there a re-translation patch for Koihime Musou?

Mkilbride

Decided to give it a go, saw Manga Gamer finally added the voices...

I'm only about 7 minutes in, but this translation is as bad as Manga Gamers used to be when they did machine translation.  This is seriously rough. I mean I didn't expect the VN to be amazing, but I heard some semi-good reviews of it, but no one mentioned how poor the translation was...

The characters keep making weird comments that I can only assume are not translated correctly. 

"What? Huh?! Wait, Kazupi? Whoa! Already?!"

This line has been repeated several times so far in the middle of a conversation...when nothing is going on, the text isn't describing such a reaction, nor do the backround images. It's confusing.

* Also, what's this Shin Koihime Musou I've heard about it? Is it a sequel? A retelling? Or just an upgraded version or something?

Mm, I'm not sure about that text. I checked a bunch of script files (about 3/4 of the main script) and only saw that line once in the very first script, so I don't know if it's really been repeatedly a lot, especially if you're near the beginning... I don't remember the translation being that bad. Looking over it again yeah it is a bit "uhhh."

Shin Koihime is kind of a re-telling, but because of how they laid it out it's a bit different. In the original you take the place of Liu Bei, and it only has the Shu story. In Shin, it has all 3 faction (Shu, Wei and Wu) as well as an "Other" smaller story. In Shin you don't take the place of a leader, or any character, so all the 3 leaders (Liu Bei, Cao Cao and Sun Quan) are in the game. Shin has a tonne more characters over the original as well, combined with 3(4) stories instead of one, it's soooo much bigger than the original.

I don't want to spoil the endings, but in my opinion the ending of Shin is fucking terribly boring, while the original ending was good. In the subsequent game BaseSon released called Sengoku Koihime, which is just like Koihime Musou, but set in Japan's Sengoku era rather than China, the protagonist is Kazuto's nephew, and at the start it shows you how Shin was like "the true route" as it were, since Kazuto lives with him uncle and his xx wives, all the characters from Shin. It wouldn't destroy your understanding of it or anything though, it's only mentioned briefly.

BaseSon are making a sequel (supposed to be an actual sequel I believe?) to Shin, which is due out next year, so reading Shin might be recommended for that as well. As well as any other games made in the future.

There isn't a re-translation of Koihime Musou as far as I know, but a group have been translating Shin for a long time now, and getting close to finishing it (hopefully). Will be released by MangaGamer too it seems when it's done. You might want to wait for/follow that.

Koihime Musou got at least a re-edit for the hard copy. MangaGamer surely updated their own download version, but I'm not sure if the versions of *ahem* other download sources were updated. So depending on where you got your version, it 'might' be an outdated one.

Still, I rarely hear complaints about the Koihime translation, so it might just be a certain part that's off-putting. I'd just go on for a while to figure out if it was just an exception or if the whole translation style of the VN isn't your thing.

7 hours ago, Kelebek1 said:

BaseSon are making a sequel (supposed to be an actual sequel I believe?) to Shin, which is due out next year, so reading Shin might be recommended for that as well. As well as any other games made in the future.

Its not a sequel, its an even bigger remake with new characters, new arcs for the older characters, new gameplay system, new art etc etc. So instead of playing shin koihime, waiting 5-6 months for it is actually a better opinion but since it wont be translated for at least 5-6 years (it'll be so big that they'll release each route as a "full priced game", at least x2 of the Shin Koihime) he can play whichever he wants.  

I don't understand Japanese.
 Besides, not everyone is voiced.

I'm confused about the remake or whatever, as VNDB has this info:

https://vndb.org/r34992

Regardless, anyone have issues with the gameplay being kinda jittery? I got a 2500K @ 4.5GHZ here and am seeing nearly 100% CPU usage on two cores and sometimes the transactions / text kinda freezes and then loads in.