Can someone(s) explain to me the translation process?

Okay I don't frequent forums that often, but this looked like a good place to get questions answered concerning fan translating. Here goes...

I'm interested to know what the full translation process is like from the translating part to the release of a full patch. Currently something like this is in my mind:

Translation--->translation check--->quality check--->release patch

^If I'm wrong or if there's more, please tell me.

I see groups indicating how many "lines" they have translated and what the total amount is. How is it they extract all the lines from the game?

On with the actual translation step of things, how do translators go about translating? More specifically, do have the game open and translate line by line as they play the game in real time? Or do they translate while only looking at the extracted lines? Or some combination of both? I'm assuming that this is generally left to the discretion of the translator, but I'm hoping someone can tell me a standardized method that people tend to lend towards.

Translation checking and quality checking basically speaks for itself I suppose. I suppose if I were to ask anything it would be what the TLC does. Since they're checking the translation quality, I assume they look at some text file that contains both all the lines from the game and the accompanying translation?

Anyways I suppose that's about all I wanna ask. I'm interested in doing some fan translating, but I would rather know the grips of EVERYTHING before throwing myself in there. So please, go give me as much detail as possible. Thanks.

I've got a feeling that maybe every translator does it a little differently.

The way I did mine was like this:

1. play the game in Japanese (at least the route I was going to translate next)

2. extract the scripts

3. translate

4. assemble a patch for checking

5. play the game in English in one window and have the script open in another window, fix as I go

6. assemble the patch and make sure nothing crazy has happened.

7. done!

We are a technology provider so from our viewpoint the process appears to be

- Initial consultation with client for services required

- Text (and later images) extraction, possibly creation of a PoC patch to assist acceptance

- Translators/editors/etc go off and change the language of the text, image editors also working here

- If asked to, we'll provide partial patches during this time

- Once all modifications finished, we produce an initial RTM patch and do platform validation

- Iterate this build as necessary if any problems encountered, client also does acceptance testing at this point

- Upon the final signing off, make release

- Post-release support and patches as necessary until end of support period

I see groups indicating how many "lines" they have translated and what the total amount is. How is it they extract all the lines from the game?

In most of the cases extraction is done with project-specific tools developed by project engineer. Unless you already have experience with tools like IDAPro, its easier for you to just ask for help someone who has.

On with the actual translation step of things, how do translators go about translating? More specifically, do have the game open and translate line by line as they play the game in real time? Or do they translate while only looking at the extracted lines? Or some combination of both? I'm assuming that this is generally left to the discretion of the translator, but I'm hoping someone can tell me a standardized method that people tend to lend towards.

Obviously there are no "standardized methods". But proficient translators use only text files with script, as its fastest way.

Translation checking and quality checking basically speaks for itself I suppose. I suppose if I were to ask anything it would be what the TLC does. Since they're checking the translation quality, I assume they look at some text file that contains both all the lines from the game and the accompanying translation?

Format depends on the project, some use filtered strings lists, that only contain JP lines and EN translations, some use original scripts.

Typical project goes in 4 stages: TL, editing, TLC, QC. TLC checks that edited lines accurately represent original JP lines.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info.

I suppose translating directing from the text file would be a lot faster then the other method. But I feel that if I every did get into translating I would translate while playing to try capture the context of the game better. I know that this process is a lot slower, but since my Japanese isn't fantastic, I'll most likely produce a better translation this way.

It's unfortunate that extracting scripts requires outside help because if I EVER started translating, I would want to start out on my own. At the very least I would want to keep the translation a secret until the translation stage has been completed. It my be my own idealism due to the fact that I've never been in a translation group before, but I would rather keep things secretive as insurance in case I decide to blow the project.

It's unfortunate that extracting scripts requires outside help because if I EVER started translating, I would want to start out on my own. At the very least I would want to keep the translation a secret until the translation stage has been completed. It my be my own idealism due to the fact that I've never been in a translation group before, but I would rather keep things secretive as insurance in case I decide to blow the project.

Completing VN translation alone is pretty much impossible. Each stage is thousands of work hours, and even for very good teams it takes up to year to translate single game.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info.

I suppose translating directing from the text file would be a lot faster then the other method. But I feel that if I every did get into translating I would translate while playing to try capture the context of the game better. I know that this process is a lot slower, but since my Japanese isn't fantastic, I'll most likely produce a better translation this way.

I know just how you feel. No point in announcing to the world your project when you don't even know for sure you can and will _have_ a project. All I can say is, there are a few engines out there with complete tools available, like xp3; if you can use those, you may be able to do the whole thing yourself, like I did. It also helps if you choose a shorter game...

Completing VN translation alone is pretty much impossible. Each stage is thousands of work hours, and even for very good teams it takes up to year to translate single game.

Given that statement, I'm assuming that most translation projects out there have multiple translators?

Just to be clear, I meant to say that I intend to do the "translating" myself. I would naturally find help for other aspects of the project. Given my lack of technical knowledge in the hacking area, I would naturally need to find someone to take care of that. Maybe saying that I'll complete a the FULL translation of the game is unrealistic. However I would like to finish a decent portion of the game before finding help so that I have base for actually completing the project.

it's shocking, but amidst some elitist VN fans (not here) they frown upon people who take in too many translators. which is sad. they think it destroys the translation. (they also think u are retarded)

i think it does reduce it's consistency, but it is not as big a problem if different translators do different routes.

but that's not the point.

the point is that it's not realistic to do it all on your own.

most ppl just dont have $10,000 worth of free labour to donate to the community (that's assuming you are $10 an hour).

the average project length is 1.5 to 2 years. you dont know what will happen to you in that time. you might find your studies harder than you thought. you might fail a subject. you might find a job.

if you are translating for yourself, if u want to stroke your ego, then that's fine. but if u are really serious about completing a project then it's a good idea to find other dedicated fans to share the load.

if you are translating for yourself, if u want to stroke your ego, then that's fine. but if u are really serious about completing a project then it's a good idea to find other dedicated fans to share the load.

Again, my reasoning for STARTING a project on my own would be to avoid bringing disappointment in the event the project goes south. However if I reach a decent point and the project is progressing smoothly, yeah I would get people to help me with the load.

So what I'm getting at is, I would like to START a project by myself in secret.

Okay I've decided to get a tad bit more serious with my thoughts of translating. I wanna have a look at the script for the game I have in mind, but as I mentioned in my previous posts, I don't know how to extract the strict from the game. So if there's anyone out there who's willing to extract the script for me, please PM me.

Thanks in advance.