Hello, World -- No Response After Running

LinovaA

Heyo everyone,

Having an issue with running "Hello, World". Whenever I run the .exe for the game, nothing at all happens. No extra processes come up in the task manager. No real sign of anything happening at all. It just kinda, doesn't do anything. 

My locale is set to JP. My location and time settings are also set to JP. So none of that is the issue here.

I'm pretty sure the issue originates in the fact that the VN came out in like 2002. So, I was wondering if anyone has a solution to this issue. I am currently running windows 8.1. I highly doubt upgrading to Windows 10 would help this issue any. xD

Greatly appreciated if anyone knows. ^_^ 

Also, I need to know which version of the game you are running... if you are using the CD version, you might need to emulate Japanese Windows XP (just compatibility mode isn't enough in a lot of cases) if you are using 7 or after.  If you are lucky enough to have found the DVD version, finding the right nodvd is the key... 

Running Microsoft Windows 8.1

Also, I have the DVD version. Unless the folder name "HelloWorldDVD" in the NitroPlus folder within the Program Files (x86) is leading me astray. I have tried using a noDVD patch, as I have had similar issues in the past, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I also tried putting the .exe in a folder other than the program files, patching it, putting it back in the program files, but that didn't really have any effect on result.

Although, I suppose if you say the "right" noDVD, perhaps I am just not using the right one?

Umm... definitely uninstall and reinstall elsewhere.  You never want to install Japanese VNs in programs folders (especially older VNs) because of issues with the different language OS.  I usually just install in my C:\VNs folder...

Edit: As it was explained to me, Japanese VNs can't access the same permissions (in a lot of cases) that a localized game can, and as a result problems tend to result.  In some cases this means you can't save (or rather that the save game vanishes immediately after you save it), in others it means the system can't figure out how to start the game, and in others it just causes runtime errors.

Welp, tried installing it in several different places, and that didn't really turn up any results either.

Tried making my own C:\VNs folder, and also just tried installing to the desktop because... why not? Unfortunately, nothing happened there either.

Trying to think of other solutions, but I am pretty much out of ideas. :nervous:

Mmm.... to be honest, that is one I had a lot of trouble getting to work, as well.  I only managed to get it to work last year...  and I honestly can't remember how I did it. 

I do know that both versions require a crack, though... and the old database on hongfire is gone.

Interesting, that prompt never came up for me when I tried running it as an admin earlier. 

I have had that come up for other things though, but nope, nothing for this one.

I am probably going to try installing it on my older Windows 7 laptop, and see what happens.

Actually, now I have a solution... The game exe is just a launcher for the main engine (which is the dll file), so I wrote my own little launcher as an alternative. Surprise, the game can run on both 32 and 64 bit Windows!

Get this file and put it in the game's folder. This has only been tested for the DVD edition, so I wouldn't know if it works for other versions of the game.

I can also confirm that this works on Windows 8.1 64bit.

Launched without any issues whatsoever. Guess this solves that problem quite nicely. 

Thanks so much for all the help, everyone. ^_^ Wasn't expecting the level of help to extend all the way to coding a new launcher, but anyway, thanks again. ^^