VNs that start with a Bang (aka they get right to the point)

Zalor

lol... EGS ratings are completely unreliable... for one thing, the vast majority who vote there are moege-addicts, and it is only natural that they wouldn't rate an utsuge with no strong moe elements and a depressing story well.  I myself pointed out the holes in the setting and the tendency to avoid explaining why all that happened.  That is generally what is used most often to bash it, and it is the reason why I don't call it a kamige... but as an utsuge, it is exceptional.  If you don't enjoy utsuge, you'll despise it, if you like utsuge, there is a good chance you'll fall in love with it (unless you can't see beyond the weakness of the setting). 

Edit: It isn't rated badly on vndb... it is just that those who didn't like it, really didn't like it. 

Going off the ratings of egs is about as good as going off the ratings of VNDB. xD

People in egs can at least read their VNs. It's not like I blindly believe popular opinion, but my experience with games rated below 70 in egs has been exclusively terrible so far. It's good to roughly separate utter shit from something promising, at least.

Also: Subarashiki Hibi, Muramasa, YU-NO, Baldr Force, Sharin no Kuni, Ever17, Cross†Channel, Aiyoku no Eustia, Utawarerumono, Swan Song, Ayakashibito, OreTsuba, Haruka ni Aogi Uruwashi no, Damekoi, Himawari, and Saya no Uta are all at the top of egs, which pretty much coincides with my favorite VNs. The only ones I personally liked that egs wasn't particularly hot about were Umineko, Tokyo Babel, and Chaos;Head. So ,as far as I'm concerned, egs is fairly reliable (except for a couple of highly rated moege).

If you don't enjoy utsuge, you'll despise it, if you like utsuge, there is a good chance you'll fall in love with it (unless you can't see beyond the weakness of the setting).

I might check it out since I despise moe/charage and love utsuge. I've been interested in this title because it was written by one of my favorite writers (Takehaya), so I was really disappointed by its reception. Still, inconsistent settings/characters bother me greatly, so I wonder how it'll go. xD

how do you bypass the region block of egs without using a proxy(from japon) that turns the browsing of the page to a dial up...

I didn't know they had region block. :D

It wasn't there seven years ago, when I was still living in Europe (though I guess that explains why so few ppl in the west use it these days).

It pretty much takes overwhelming quality for a non-moe VN to make it into the top twenty releases for a year on EGS...  also, similar to vndb, if a VN has gameplay, it is generally given higher ratings than it really deserves.

I didn't know they had region block. :D

It wasn't there seven years ago, when I was still living in Europe (though I guess that explains why so few ppl in the west use it these days).

it is blocked pretty much in the whole world except japan xD

Don't quote me on that but it is blocked in many countries.

weird if I don't use a proxy from japan it doesnt work, I tried with proxy's from many countries and even toor but it doesnt work, not that I really care what egs says, I use vndb to find visual novels I don't care about the score system and the search system of egs is kind of convoluted plus is in japanese so it's a pain to use :P

999 thrusts you right into the action, and in 30 mins to an hour the exposition is over.

Virtue's Last Reward is in a similar vein, play 999 first no matter what though.

Besides that, well, it depends on the "slowness" you will tolerate.

Do you think it should pick up in the opening sequence? After five minutes? In the first hour? After 2-3 hours?

BTW I do not know if you're asking for strictly untranslated VNs. If that's the case, well, disregard this whole post