About Higurashi's new TL

Silvz

Well I don't know JP so I can't comment completely but I did like most of what I saw (first time reading it) and I think Voko was saying that it was better but still not very good. Speech patterns are translated now, it's possible to patch voices in as well (3rd party). 

It gives you the option to use the original sprites or completely new, redrawn ones (these new ones are the ones I used, and the general regard is that they are a bit too shiny but still better than the originals but worse than the PS3(?) sprites) while the backgrounds are -unless patched in- only the originals.

I think Voko was actually saying tl was fine, but complaining about an (admittedly not very excusable) typo and one word choice (kyute vs like, adowable). He only played a little though iirc. Probably not great, but considering how the original was and how good higurashi is -- why not? :P

I think Voko was actually saying tl was fine, but complaining about an (admittedly not very excusable) typo and one word choice (kyute vs like, adowable). He only played a little though iirc. Probably not great, but considering how the original was and how good higurashi is -- why not? :P

Pretty much this. There are still some oddities here and there, but at least it is more or less representative of the original now. The writing style and even the speech patterns are thankfully preserved to a certain extent now (most notably Satoko's, and Rena's occasional moments too, although Rika's for example didn't really make the transition - YenPress with their manga translation is still clearly in the lead in this department), and the English is readable and makes sense. It's miles better than their first translation for sure (although it's unfair to even compare anything to that), and while it might not be perfect, in between the old translation and the fan translations (both of which are dead now anyway, afaik), this is the best one out there.

What from Rika's speech was not kept? From her I just remember the "nypaa~".

She speaks in a strangely formal way. She ends all of her sentences with a formal speech particle, even when her verbs already end on a formal suffix - you don't normally do this in Japanese, so it stands out a lot. It also comes into play later when more of her character is revealed, so it's arguably kind of important, even though it's still just a detail, really. YenPress gets around this by ending her sentences with "sir", which is probably the closest you can get to that speech quirk in English. MangaGamer just does nothing.

And also, Funya, people already patched this new version with voices? Or you're talking about the old version?

The new MangaGamer release has a patch with both the Sui (PS3/Vita) art and voices.

edit who is voko anyway?

Me.  :wafuu:

She speaks in a strangely formal way. She ends all of her sentences with a formal speech particle, even when her verbs already end on a formal suffix - you don't normally do this in Japanese, so it stands out a lot. It also comes into play later when more of her character is revealed, so it's arguably kind of important, even though it's still just a detail, really. YenPress gets around this by ending her sentences with "sir", which is probably the closest you can get to that speech quirk in English. MangaGamer just does nothing.

The new MangaGamer release has a patch with both the Sui (PS3/Vita) art and voices.

Me.  :wafuu:

Besides Takano's, I actually liked the new sprites, so I'm okay with them haha but the voices are nice. Maybe MG didn't find a good way to adapt this formal particle without "copying" the 'sir', idk

So, I'll try the first game soon. However, it would be better to start it after MG releasing the second one, or at least after they give a release date

Onikakushi feels more complete as its own work than the chapters after it, to be honest. That said, the experience is a bit different if you read them and take some time to mull things over after each one about the mystery, etc. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

I've read both versions, and while the newer one is definitely better, there's a few minor things that bothered me (luckily I found a program that can do search&replace for all txt files in a folder, so I took care of all the things)

The main thing was that they used the "western" name order (as in Rena Ryugu instead of Ryugu Rena, same with all other names), which has always bothered me in TLs in general for some reason, I think because it's immersion-breaking when japanese people do it "wrong"? Anyways, I switched all names back to the japanese name-order...

Next was the fact that they changed Keiichi's allowance from 1000yen to $10, but left all other money-values as yen (also 1000yen were more like $4.xx in 1983 iirc), so that got changed back as well

The other 2 things are more personal preference: They changed Rika's "mii" to "mew", I dunno which version would be more correct, but I perferred the "mii" in the first TL

Other one is Mion referring to herself as "this old man" at some points, while it was "Uncle Mion" in the first TL, I changed that as well

General choice of words and Satoko's speech are a lot better though, so including all the changes I made, this TL is way better than the first ;)