Phenomeno crash

Ryoji: "After opening it crashed.

Actually, it crashes right after the opening, when the Title shows up on the bottom right corner in japanese. Black screen then crash"

Some problems with the game Phenomeno, ive had other people tell me they were having problems.

im thinking of just not including this game if we can't get it stable...

https://fuwanovel.net/novels/106

Okay, so this is pretty basic, but 90% of Russian users who reported this same problem were trying to launch the game from "Phenomeno_en.exe".

Has anybody experienced these problems while booting from "Start_Game.bat" like the Readme says?

Okay all, I've talked with a Russian hacker who either worked on the game or on a patch for it. Before I go any further, I want to assure you that this game works: it worked for me on 3 machines, it worked for the hacker and his team, and it worked for Aaeru.

Here are the steps that led to 99% error solutions on a Russian VN site:

1) BOOT THE GAME FROM "Start_Game.bat" NOT "Phenomeno_en.exe"

2) The main menu is in Japanese. Click the top-most and left-most japanese words to start the game. After the first "Start Game", the main menu may change. Don't freak out, it's normal.

n-2) Make sure you have a decent video codec pack installed

n-1) Make sure your video card drivers are updated

n-0.5) Make sure your sound card drivers are updated

n) If all of this fails, try running the game ("Start_Game.bat") using an English (US) System Locale

EDIT: If running on Vista, there may be other problems. The hacker said, "If that's the case, we're sorry, but we don't care. Vista is terrible."

Edited by Tay

Okay all, I've talked with a Russian hacker who either worked on the game or on a patch for it. Before I go any further, I want to assure you that this game works: it worked for me on 3 machines, it worked for the hacker and his team, and it worked for Aaeru.

Here are the steps that led to 99% error solutions on a Russian VN site:

1) BOOT THE GAME FROM "Start_Game.bat" NOT "Phenomeno_en.exe"

2) The main menu is in Japanese. Click the top-most and left-most japanese words to start the game. After the first "Start Game", the main menu may change. Don't freak out, it's normal.

n-2) Make sure you have a decent video codec installed

n-1) Make sure your video card drivers are updated

n-0.5) Make sure your sound card drivers are updated

n) If all of this fails, try running the game ("Start_Game.bat") using an English (US) System Locale

EDIT: If running on Vista, there may be other problems. The hacker said, "If that's the case, we're sorry, but we don't care. Vista is terrible."

OK, Tay is absolutely correct. I had been trying to play from Phenomeno_en.exe. To be honest, i didnt even see the Start_game.bat. I feel foolish lol.

Thanks Tay for explaining the situation and verifying that the game works!!

@Ryoji - Hooray!

If this doesn't work for anybody, I may have a solution. Anybody who is still having problems and is willing to IRC chat with me for 5 minutes, please PM me or grab me on the IRC channel.

I'll download it now and see~ can't believe I missed this VN!

EDIT: Seems like the game with mine won't run when I use the start_game.bat. when I use the phenomeno.exe (either of them), I got a black screen. Haven't tried running under English US locale yet though, I will try that next

That may have been the prevalent attitude ~2 years ago and we're personally not fond of Vista and above either due to all the UAC issues etc., but if you want your product to reach a wide audience you're going to have to support what's current. That means Vista, 7, and soon 8. (Please don't break XP support in the process either.)

Disabling UAC may work but it's not an option many would like to do. Compatibility mode might be a better alternative.

For testing purposes you can get clean stock install VMs of XP, Vista, and 7 from MS: Google "IE App Compat VHD". They expire regularly but you should know how to deal with that ;)

• 2 years later...

Hi.

Downloaded this game today, but I got a blackscreen when I launch it. I only have a first sentence that appears in Japanese, needing me to click to make it disappear as it was some kind of a Prologue but nothing else appears. I still got the music when launching from the .bat, none when launching from .exe

Both have the sentence appear, then nothing happens.

Works after launching it with Phenonemo_en.exe... Which was not supposed to work. Whatever...