Tokyo ghoul review

bilguun

64449.jpg

One of the anime hypes in 2014 was a show called "tokyo ghoul" a dark fantasy story set in japan. It's an anime that makes the watchers shout YES and fall off their chairs. My name is bilguun alix and today i'm going to review TOKYO GHOUL.

Plot  

In an alternate version of Tokyo Mysterious creatures called Ghouls are devouring humans. Our main protagonist Kaneki encounters a beautiful girl named Rize but soon turns out that the girl was not actually human but a ghoul and she tries to eat him. However due to an accident he got saved but is extremely wounded. After recovering, Kaneki discovers that somehow he underwent a surgery that transformed him into a half-ghoul which means he must consume human flesh to survive. He is then taken in by the ghouls who manage the coffee shop "Anteiku", who teach him to deal with his new life.

Now a plot of any dark fantasy anime is determined by how well the story world is shown as well is what over arcing storyline is trying to accomplish. In my opinion the world of ghouls is researched poorly. There are so many questions such as: why can they drink nothing but coffee? Since when did ghouls actually appear?

Also the story it self just happens to be going on it’s  own without any goal until the end. Things just happen and Kaneki just seems to be the part of it. And at times things seems to be a bit too rushed and unbalanced. They were like “Screw the logic we need more fighting”. And the show never actually gave us a solid ending. Now I’m not an idiot, I clearly know that the second season is going to start soon enough. But the first season should have stand on it’s own but it seems rather a kick starter for the second season.

6.4/10

Characters

Now the sad part of this show is that the villains are one dimensional. The crazy old man from the “We hunt your ghouls” company a.k.a doves, Rize, Jason, Tsukiyama the hyperactive ghouls, they don’t have a redeeming quality other than being crazy and well…gay. As for the less crazy ones there are a few good characters that I want to point out.

When I first saw kaneki I thought he was just some typical teenager with a typical bitchiness but my thoughts were changed Literally 180 degrees at episode 11 and 12. I just didn’t realize how deep he was until then.

Another character I liked was Touka who is badass but also a kind person. I wish the show developed her more.

Also there is Amon who is badass as well. And we saw some development in him as well as his back story of how he become one of the doves. He might be the best character of this series and I hope he will show up more in the second season.

Overall I do think the show could have shown more back story especially for the villains cause from what I heard things were very different in the manga. And I wish Tsukiyama too would get a less crazy side because he was FUCKING ANNOYING.

5.5/10

Animation

One of the Good sides of Tokyo ghoul is that it has rather dark but wonderful art style. The kagunes truly look amazing and the fighting scenes are very well drawn without any laziness The animation from the final episode was absolutely terrific and I wish that the fighting scene was bit long.

But however there is a problem with the censorship. Tokyo ghoul of course have a lot of bloody moments but the censoring company went over board and censored everything from blood to a… harmless leg. It’s as if they are just trying to censor everything they see.

9/10

Sound

The opening song for Tokyo ghoul was… how should I put it… EPIC.

The song matched the show almost perfectly showing us what ghouls think of themselves and what they feel. And it was an amazing mix of guitar.piano,drum and violin. When I watched the whole series I NEVER skipped the opening song and that tells something.

As for the soundtrack there were some good music during the fight scenes but not much in non action scenes.  

9.2/10     

Personal points

To tell you the truth I really enjoyed watching this anime. Is it interesting?- yes, is it addictive?-yes, is it enjoyable?-yes. It was truly a great experience and I never got bored watching an episode. However aside from badass battles and spectacular opening theme the show does have a lot of flaws and you probably won’t be seeing any paced character developments. But regardless it was a great anime and I am currently waiting the second season so I could jump into action once again

8.3/10

So with Plot,character,animation,sound and my personal enjoyment 6.4 + 5.5 + 9 + 9.2 + 8.3 /5

MY FINAL RATING: 7.68/10 

Watch it if you like: greatly animated fights, Gore.

And don’t watch it if you hate: gore, want more intellectual experience, soild ending.

Censorship is honestly debatable. Have you seen the DVD version yet? The uncensored parts are freaking awesome.

Yeah i saw it on the net. But people mostly on the net including myself were introduced the censored version beforehand. But don't worry this review is for the censored version. I would have rated the animation with a 9.2/10 for the uncensored version. 

I would definitely recommend you to read the manga if you liked the anime even a little bit. It gets into the backstories of all characters a lot more and I found myself attached to every character (I personally think the cast is the best part of it)

Thanks. Maybe i'll make a manga review about it someday.