Are you that type of VN player?

hamoun76

I will complete all routes even if the first route I landed on seems to defy expectations and at first glance seems without flaw. At the every least I owe it to the characters (and also the writer) to see it through to the end in order to understand their story and watch the journey unfold, for good or bad. I have yet to drop a VN, so I can't really say for certain that I would never abandon a VN due to how a atrocious a character was or simply if the story was unappealing. My allegiance is to the story. If the characters grow on me, then that's also a good thing and something that will make the entire package that much more memorable.

I wouldn't say that my preferences lean toward the 2D side of the spectrum. I certainly find myself taking more of the escapist route when I read stories due to the monotony of daily life, but at the end of the day fiction remains fiction and I return to this side of reality. I take whatever I can from VNs. It can be as simple as a theme or a lesson that I enjoyed. I either apply it toward my own writing, or I carry it with as I analyze the world around me.

I suppose the line between reader and protagonist may become somewhat blurred as the story moves along, but I'm usually able to reign my emotions in until the end of the story. It's only natural to become attached to characters whose journey I've followed for over 30-50 hours but there comes a point when one must let go. I relish every moment I have in their world, but know that all good things come to an end. I understand that I can only take a sliver of that world with me.

I tend to be "that type of VN player". When I was reading Symphonic Rain a year ago, I almost stopped reading it after finishing Fal's route. However, after asking on the forums a question that was bothering me about her route, everyone responded by telling me to read the rest of the VN. So I did, and I'm glad I did. Some VNs build off of different routes like Symphonic Rain; making it so you have to read every route to get the full experience. However, other VNs only focus on each route individually and they don't play into each other (like Katawa Shoujo or Yume Miru Kusuri).