"Literally" The Best Thread Of All Time Ever

Woah what.

I would not dream of a thread like this existing, and yet here it is.

Best one is when I heard someone say "you literally scared me to death!" (-u-)

Part of the issue with today's usage of literally is that kids have generalized it to mean exactly the opposite of what it means. I cannot stand when people say "I literally peed myself just now," leaving me, when I look down ready to make fun of them, disappointed to find they only figuratively peed themselves 

Woah what. Literally is used like that now?

Then it makes the word 'literally' not literally used, but rather, used in a figurative way. That gives us the idea that literally is being used figuratively, whereas figuratively, when used figuratively, is being used literally. Meaning literally is the same as figuratively. Which would be the very reason why people use literally nowadays in a figurative way.

Yeah. That was literally nonsensical, although I do not know how something nonsensical can be literal.

Yeah. That was literally nonsensical, although I do not know how something nonsensical can be literal.

Well what you said was literally literal in a literal sense. That wasn't literal but we still treat it as literal because we said literal without sarcasm. I just confused myself....

I always loved messing with literal definitions and twisting words as far as they can go for amusement; for that kind of purpose, the dictionary can go violate itself with a retractable baton helpfully provided by the pirate bay. Of course, if it causes actual confusion you have a problem since language is usually about communication.

As for the amount of hyperbole in English... maybe it's due to cultural factors, then? American English tends to have by far the greatest impact on pop culture and international use in general, and America itself is at least stereotyped as being larger-than-life - so perhaps the way USians see the world shape it all. There's also a lot of use of sarcasm in English in general, which tends to use hyperbole for effect as well.