Thinking of expanding into Android visual novels

Thinking of expanding into Android visual novels...

c3Y69.jpg

Anyone know if there is a way to automatically have the game install for the user (like it does on Google Play), as soon as it downloads? (apart from releasing a fuwan app bcuz that might get taken down)

Won't be using torrents for the android portion of the site. It'll be direct download.

This is a probably incomplete list of all the games that are on Android now,

http://vndb.org/r?q=&fil=type-complete.date_after-20089999.date_before-20129999.released-1.lang-en.olang-ja.plat-and

They don't have the Lose Your Fat app for example (which isn't a VN i think).

I think the most reasonable way to handle this is to just offer the .apk's themselves and let the users install them manually...

Some phones don't give you the capabilities of installing your own apps, (Like mine) which means the user has to root them to install said app packages though (Like me.)

Fuwan app might be the best way to do this, except maybe not on Google Play, but maybe on a third party app store like slideme? Making an app for fuwanovel is just adding a lot of unnecessary work though...

I'll try brainstorming for it >.<

A app would be the most easy to use alternative, but as it may get removed some day or another and someones work would be wasted. So another way should be used.

Best long term, etc I think is to download to the pc and from there transfer it to the phone. Maybe use some software to make it easier. I doesn't have to be anything advanced. Simply a program that copys the VN from the computer and find's the root on the phone (connected to the pc) makes a VN game folder there and puts the game files there.

I am kinda half guessing here, as I haven't tried Vn's on my phone. But I am guessing it is only putting the game files on the phone and have VNDS installed or something similar installed... Then just open the game from there.

I'm just going to put this here because I don't know where else this would go. Made a post about this on my blog but since no one reads that, I decided to put it here so word would get out.

As we all know, ONScripter exists on android, and you can play most of the older (Built on ONScripter) visual novels that way. Some newer (Built on Kirikiri) ones will also work, but that requires a conversion, and the process is a little messy.

I've been looking for a while, and it turns out that there actually is a Kirikiri interpeter for android. It's called Habakiri, and it is developed by a 井元 武則

You can grab the apk - here

Of course, you still need to own the game to get the files ;)/>/>

Instructions

1. Get kirikiri based visual novel

2. Copy novel into internal memory of android device (I'm not sure exactly which ones, so I usually just copy everything, but I think that just the .xp3 files need to be copied over), anywhere is fine, as long as the entire game is in the same folder

3. Install Habakiri

4. Run Habakiri, you then see a file manager-esque UI

5. Find the folder with your VN in it

6. Select data.xp3

7. Press the "このフィイル" button on the bottem

8. Pray it works

I've never gotten anything to actually work past the load screen, so I hope that you guys can make better use of this then I can.

I love the idea of an android section, as I can contribute to it.

Not really a way for to install apps on Android without the user hitting install (Would be too easy for malware and stuff).

A app would be the most easy to use alternative, but as it may get removed some day or another and someones work would be wasted. So another way should be used.
We would be able to distribute the app with the apk similary enough.

Humble Bundle does this where they have an Android app that downloads and lets you install the games.

I love the idea of an android section, as I can contribute to it.

Dayum nice post!

do u mind if i reblog that onto my blog?

I still know next to nothing about these PC->VN conversions, i figured eventually ill try to get them working one by one and then upload them.

And i think curtain is right, i'll probably end up just uploading them as .APK (with some instructions)

Also agree with some of your other posts about Aaron Schwartz etc. I don't stand on the sideline either, it is only because the masses are so ignorant about what their government is doing that these governments can get away with all this. To me, there is only one thing to do when i see extreme injustice, and that is to spread the word. Because the pen is mightier than the sword.

Maybe the best way to deal with VNDS games is to distribute .zip's of theme, then give users instructions on how to unpackage them in android?

For games that are packaged inside the google play store, you'll definitely have .apks to distribute, and most android users are pretty familiar with those.

Aside from that, maybe someone wants to tinker around in packaging VNDS games into self extracting apks? It should be possible, probably :D

Afterall, too my understanding, that's essentially what .apks are, self extracting packages that move data into it's proper place so that the application can be launched. Though maybe I'm just an idiot >.<

Also, Aeeru, I'll love you forever for this xD

I'll finally have a reason to use that damned tablet of mine *Thumbs Up*

Aside from that, maybe someone wants to tinker around in packaging VNDS games into self extracting apks? It should be possible, probably biggrin.gif
I don't think so, as far as I can tell, apks are copied as-is to the phone, not stored on the sdcard that VNDS accesses. It might be possible if VNDS were setup that way.

I'll finally have a reason to use that damned tablet of mine *Thumbs Up*
I use my tablet to remote control my computer running a visual novel. Works okay.

I don't think so, as far as I can tell, apks are copied as-is to the phone, not stored on the sdcard that VNDS accesses. It might be possible if VNDS were setup that way.

Well that's disappointing sad.gif

I vouch for .zips then. There are plenty of easy to use apps that can extract files from zips.

I use my tablet to remote control my computer running a visual novel. Works okay.

Which app do you use? >.<

I used splashtop a while ago, and that was the best, then I tried out VNC...

It always seemed kind of silly to me. I finally decided to just go with a good ol' wireless mouse and keyboard.

Dayum nice post!

do u mind if i reblog that onto my blog?

I still know next to nothing about these PC->VN conversions, i figured eventually ill try to get them working one by one and then upload them.

And i think curtain is right, i'll probably end up just uploading them as .APK (with some instructions)

Also agree with some of your other posts about Aaron Schwartz etc. I don't stand on the sideline either, it is only because the masses are so ignorant about what their government is doing that these governments can get away with all this. To me, there is only one thing to do when i see extreme injustice, and that is to spread the word. Because the pen is mightier than the sword.

Feel free to repost it. I've been keeping an ear to the ground for cross platforming PC-Android, and I will post anything I find regarding it.

Which app do you use? >.<

I used splashtop a while ago, and that was the best, then I tried out VNC...

Yeah I used splashtop too. Which tablet do you use? I've got the Nexus 10 which has a really high resolution for when I want to do AGTH things. Bluetooth keyboard with my tablet works well.

Yeah I used splashtop too. Which tablet do you use? I've got the Nexus 10 which has a really high resolution for when I want to do AGTH things. Bluetooth keyboard with my tablet works well.

I have a second hand galaxy tab (The Sprint version, which means there are no working ROMs for it... NONE. :(/>)

It's pretty good, and the guy who had it before ever so kindly installed android 3.0 on it (Somehow, most likely through magic)

I also have a Blackberry Playbook that I nabbed for 50 bucks from a very sad Blackberry Playbook owner...

That's the one I used splashtop on. It actually works pretty well, just crackling in audio annoys me some'

I honestly don't think it's a good idea to offend the few companies that actually bother to release their games in english by uploading them for free.

It's not that I find it wrong (hell I would probably use the function myself if I had a phone with android) but there's so few companies who actually dare to release their stuff officially.

I think this might actually hurt fuwa's longtime goal (to make VN's more popular in the west).

If we want companies to release translations of their stuff themselves we probably should ignore the official releases (for now).

Beato: It's because there is no evidence to show that increasing the audience base, decreases sales.

What's happening is that, increased publicity from sharing generates new fans. Even if they don't buy this game, they go on to buy the next, and they do this voluntarily. http://christianengstrom.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/studies-on-the-cultural-sector-in-the-file-sharing-era/

We don't have any empirical evidence to show that sharing of purchases causes a decrease in sale. in fact it causes to increase moderately over the long-term http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Studies_on_file_sharing#Frank_N._Magid_Associates.2C_Inc._-_2009_-_P2P_.2F_Best_consumers_for_Hollywood_.28EN.29

The most important thing we can do is to do what we do best, that is to increase the fanbase - which is a predicate to a long-term sustainable income for VN development. https://fuwanovel.net/faq/2

In otherwords, we just follow the research on the effects of sharing on sales.

Beato: It's because there is no evidence to show that increasing the audience base, decreases sales.

What's happening is that, increased publicity from sharing generates new fans. Even if they don't buy this game, they go on to buy the next, and they do this voluntarily. http://christianengs...le-sharing-era/

We don't have any empirical evidence to show that sharing of purchases causes a decrease in sale. in fact it causes to increase moderately over the long-term http://www.laquadrat...lywood_.28EN.29

The most important thing we can do is to do what we do best, that is to increase the fanbase - which is a predicate to a long-term sustainable income for VN development. https://fuwanovel.net/faq/2

In otherwords, we just follow the research on the effects of sharing on sales.

In lesser people terms that I can understand and process, you gain fans who wouldn't have purchased the product initially, and you keep fans who ardently purchase the product.

If there is a game I want on android with an official English release, hell yeah I'd buy it. But George McPoor Student might not spend that 99 cents without being absolutely sure of it's quality'

Then after playing through the first game, George comes to have an epiphany... "This game is worth my money!"

And so Fuwanovel builds franchises up B)/>

Also once again Aaeru, I praise you for this xD

My phone and tablet shall live once again...!

Yeah I know thats why I'm not really against it per-se.

It's more that I think that we might not want the japanese publishers to perceive us as a threat if you understand what I mean.

The thing I'm worried about is either that fuwanovel will receive a lawsuit (a real one not just a C&D) or that the japanese companies will just decide that it's too bothersome to release things officially since it's just going to get uploaded anyway (even though it doesn't decrease sales they probably won't see it that way.)