Heyo!

vesper3

Her name is Niko..

NIKO! How come people call her Nico? Am I missing something? <_<

Nico's name is written in hiragana like this: にこ (Niko)

こ is usually written as Ko but the sound would be the same as Co, it's kind of like the hiragana り (Ri) in Eri's name which can be written as ri or li because there's no real distinction between the 2 sounds in Japanese so you often see Eli because westerns like to think that all the R's in japanese are meant to be L's and to some degree they are kind of correct.

But there's no official romanization of her name as far as I know, that's why you see both Ko and Co because the pronunciation is the same so none is wrong theoretically. It's written as Niko by some because that's the literal romanization of the kanas in her name.

AKA The romanji translation of にこ is Niko

Now it would be Niko if you were just adapting into romanji, however her name is also believed to be a pun with ニコ (Nico). Nico means smile, so some people believe her name is a pun with smile because of her nico nico nii, hence why you see her name romanized as Nico often too.

And not just because of the pun but Nico sounds better phonetically than Niko in the latin alphabet.

And some websites even site both names as valid.

Examples

Wikipedia: Nico Yazawa (矢澤 にこ Yazawa Niko)

MAL:  Niko "Nico" Yazawa

Love Live Wikia: Name: Yazawa Nico. Kanji: 矢澤にこ Romanji:Yazawa Niko

So yeah none of them is wrong to be honest.

You can see it this way:

Niko is her name in romanji, literally without any adaptation

Nico is her name adapted to fit the pun as well as sound better with the latin alphabet.

I just prefer saying Nico because of Nico Nico Nii.

Japanese is wonderful~

Nico's name is written in hiragana like this: にこ (Niko)

こ is usually written as Ko but the sound would be the same as Co, it's kind of like the hiragana り (Ri) in Eri's name which can be written as ri or li because there's no real distinction between the 2 sounds in Japanese so you often see Eli because westerns like to think that all the R's in japanese are meant to be L's and to some degree they are kind of correct.

But there's no official romanization of her name as far as I know, that's why you see both Ko and Co because the pronunciation is the same so none is wrong theoretically. It's written as Niko by some because that's the literal romanization of the kanas in her name.

AKA The romanji translation of にこ is Niko

Now it would be Niko if you were just adapting into romanji, however her name is also believed to be a pun with ニコ (Nico). Nico means smile, so some people believe her name is a pun with smile because of her nico nico nii, hence why you see her name romanized as Nico often too.

And not just because of the pun but Nico sounds better phonetically than Niko in the latin alphabet.

And some websites even site both names as valid.

Examples

Wikipedia: Nico Yazawa (矢澤 にこ Yazawa Niko)

MAL:  Niko "Nico" Yazawa

Love Live Wikia: Name: Yazawa Nico. Kanji: 矢澤にこ Romanji:Yazawa Niko

So yeah none of them is wrong to be honest.

You can see it this way:

Niko is her name in romanji, literally without any adaptation

Nico is her name adapted to fit the pun as well as sound better with the latin alphabet.

I just prefer saying Nico because of Nico Nico Nii.

Japanese is wonderful~

This was extremely helpful. I feel as my knowledge of Niko Yazawa has increased ten fold!

I appreciate it bro~