Reading One piece in Japanese

Dark Ariel7

Hey guys. I finally got my skills to the point where I can read one piece pretty damn well. I still miss some sentences but the message gets

across. Only missing the Kanji. Thank God for Furigana. I feel AWESOME about it. just wanted to share this with people that might be able to appreciate the effort it took to get here. (AKA bragging I guess?)

How hard is one piece by the way? Like in terms of JLPT and a full Light Novel?

Well, it's supposed to be understandable by children, so that level. JLPT? No real equivalent, maybe N4/N3 but JLPT pre-supposes the knowledge of kanji and it doesn't follow the children learning program. 

Light novels usually have ultra-low level of language (basically lots of dialogs and easy to read at any time, that's the concept) so that's about the same level I suppose (though furigana are probably more scarce). I guess the chuuni ones would throw horrible kanjis at you though.

edit: I'm not saying that to lower your achievement though. But don't expect to read all VNs fluently, even with a text hooker, at this point :P

Ha Ha. No discouragement here. I can already read Vn but with a lot less understanding than One Piece. I have Read all of the Routes for all 3 of the Majikoi A series + Agave route. I can read Vns Ok. I though LNs would be much harder than Vns and Manga. I assumed they were full fledged books.

I can certainly appreciate the work you put into it (since I did basically the same thing)

And the LNs I've experimented with don't seem any harder than VNs.  Well, they are both novels, but they're pop-culture novels, which are easier to read, just as in any language, compared with all the other types of books out there.

Have you tried reading Japanese web pages yet?

Kanji is always a pain. I am only at about 500-1000. Vocab was easy for me though. I have about 5K hours of anime watched. It just got drilled into me. I am starting to need more though.

Honestly for Japanese web pages I still cannot do it very well at all. The pure Japanese and high Character content intimidates me. That is why I am nervous to actually try to read a Ln. Up until now I have only read with a visual aid.

I bought one of those fancy little pocket dictionaries like they use in Japan.  I suppose they're gonna be obsolete due to Android etc, but that's what I use.

If I pick up some random manga and read w/o a dictionary, sure I can get the gist of it.  But it's not very satisfying.  So to me, access to a good dictionary is a must.

I have seen LN that are full of furigana, just like shounen/shoujo manga.  Most of them don't seem to, though.

For web pages, Rikai-chan for Firefox is a good visual aid.  But be careful not to over-use it or it will impede you eventually.

I'm on the second quest now.  I can read VNs and stuff nicely with a visual aid.  But I want to be able to pick up any Japanese book or magazine and read it nicely, with the occasional use of a dictionary.  Right now, I'm still very slow when reading that way.

Edited by zoom909

I can probably do that with the grammar I have now but definetly not with the vocab and lets not even get into the kanji. another 500 vocab/kanji and I will feel confident about reading most things. i am making that my goal by the time I start college in the Fall.

It has taken me about 3 years but that is a horribly inflated number. I have not worked on my Jp for 2 of those summers none of the springs 2 of the winters. Last time I sat down to study was over 4 months ago. Actual work puts me at about 1 year of work.