No Game No Life - Episode 2

Kendjin

As usual, spoilers

ALSO BEST EPISODE EVER!

Question:

I don't understand the rock paper scissors, I mean he will only play paper, surely she plays scissors and wins, yet apparently it one point it a draw?

Edit: it would seem he meant to say, I can only WIN with paper, not I will only play paper.

AKfuTi8.jpg

Also:

doVEH8T.gif

Bonus:

7zbowHM.gif

The confusing game apart, isn't the fact that they break down when they're apart so cute? Although Shiro could be a little more possessive... just handing him out to another chick like that... But I already hope for Shiro X Sora, after all if you read the manga you find out that

they are not blood related anyway, the only obstacle will be the age, but they are in another world, the rules change

You seem to be confused on the concept of "tie"

I'm going to try and explain using the words he said.

It is a game of rock paper scissors so the normal rules for this game apply (paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, scissors beats paper)

But he added an extra rule, he could only use paper, if he did not use paper he would lose.

This is the results graph

yZ1FfHx.png

If he doesn't use paper and she uses the corresponding losing item it means they both lose. This equals a tie.

He just glared at her and tricked her into using scissors so he could use rock.

The tie conditions were a play on words by his part and ended up being the same conditions as winning. That's why it didn't matter if they tied or he won, he only needed to tie to "win".

The problem is this... Its not that him NOT using Paper would make him lose. It would rather not let him Win.

So it would be more accurate to say that I can't Win unless I use paper, rather than, if I don't use paper I lose. If he lost, there would be no ties. Using Rock or Scissors is treated as the same as what they used.

The problem is this... Its not that him NOT using Paper would make him lose. It would rather not let him Win.

So it would be more accurate to say that I can't Win unless I use paper, rather than, if I don't use paper I lose. If he lost, there would be no ties. Using Rock or Scissors is treated as the same as what they used.

What he said was accurate but I guess if he put it that way it would be more helpful.

But saying he'd lose is not wrong either

For example if he had used rock and she had used rock (which is equivalent to a tie in the normal game) he would have lost due to the rule of using only paper.

But 2 people losing = a tie 

So if they both lost, him due to the "only paper" penalty and she due to the normal rules, that'd be a tie.

Let's just say No Game No Life raped our brains.

Ah, yeah looking at that chart again, I see what you mean. 

He basically made it so

• A Normal Win becomes a Draw
  • A Normal Draw becomes a loss
  • He can only Win if he goes Paper and she goes Rock

Gotcha.

Pretty much.

I think i'm going to start using this game with friends and mind raping them

I'm somewhat disappointed because they made the protagonist seem way too ordinary this episode. Shiro is still nice, though.

The rock-paper-scissors thing wasn't really confusing- they even explained it in the anime. Guess I'm just used to "both parties lose= tie" since my childhood, but I didn't think anyone would really have a problem with that. The game was also pretty cheap overall, since it was all about her own inability to see through it- something anyone who took it seriously >should< have been able to notice. Specially in a world like that, where people setting vague bets to get some slaves should be common.

It still is the best anime this season until now, though. Looking forward to the third episode.