Help me make a fighting game.

MellowMadman11

So, Crysis99 and I are recruiting people to help us create a doujin fighting game. The idea I currently have in mind is a hybrid system, take the general design of Melty Blood, and mix it with the system of Ougon Musou Kyoku minus the metaworld. We are thinking of having story mode play out ADV style like Melty Blood, plus your normal modes such as arcade mode, practice, ect. 

We are in need of other members for this project, currently I serve as art director and background designer, Crysis said he might be able to handle some programming, and Rooke is helping with the story. We have nothing really started, basically we are still in the design phase.

We need artists to design characters, someone who can animate the sprites, some more people to help with the story/dialogue, and a few people who can program a 2d fighting game engine.

Any volunteers would be appreciated.

We have an IRC channel set up for the people working on it to discuss things and make communication easy.

Update:

We now need the following things:

1. An artist who can draw anime styled characters, since we will be working with 2d sprites.

2. Anyone with even a little experience programming in mugen or renpy.

3. An artist who can help me make backgrounds or cg's.

4. One other person who can write scenarios.

Rooke is editing the story we have so far, when he is done I will post the synopsis of the game's story in this thread.

Even though you do the most suspicious things in the IRC channel.

That's terribly worded lol.

Aniki. Just curious. I was wondering if you could possibly have typed a more misleading sentence?

I was also wondering if this was your revenge for rotating your avatar in the games and chatter forum?

Thanks for the support, though.

Okay, so I was approached by Mellow about this project, so here's the feedback I have at the moment:

- Doooooooon't use Ren'Py. It's fine for visual novels but really isn't designed for fighting games. A better alternative would be Pygame (which I think can work alongside Ren'Py) because that will give you the 'game' stuff. That's still probably not ideal, though, as Python can be pretty slow.

- M.U.G.E.N is a better option because it's built for fighting games, but it has a weird scripting language and you can't sell games you'e produced in it (or at leats not with the free version)

- Just throwing it out there, but Unity2D is out now and lets you use sprites and stuff. I'd recommend it over M.U.G.E.N simply due to the extra polish it offers, its portability (can build games for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, Wii, WiiU, PS3, PS4, PSVita, Xbox 360 and (soon) Xbox One using it), the fact that it uses standard language (C#) AND you can sell the products you make in it. Also, totally not biased but I'm also more experienced with it than the others. :P

- Honesty, putting text to the screen (ie: the visual novel bits) is pretty simple in practically every language and engine, so you really should focus more on what is best for the fighting. I'd usually recommend looking for something quick (running C/C++ ideally), but there aren't many around that give you more bang for your buck than Unity (even though it runs on the slower C#). So yeah...

Anyway, I've worked professionally as a programmer before so I probably have some knowledge I can rub off onto you folks. :P I also enjoy character designing, 2D art, and composing music but I'm pretty rusty at all of them. I also study so even if I sign up I'm limited to how much time I can work on it.

But yeah, if I get a spare moment I'm happy to help where I can.

Looks like we have a new member everyone!

Between Rooke and Wink doing shory, Crysis and fantanoice doing programming, fantanoice and I doing art, that only leaves music, and one more artist we need. Also it would be great if we could find someone to help me manage this project, keep everyone on task, pass along info to me when i'am busy working on the game, it would be much appreciated.