Ever17 and .dat files

So I didn't manage to find any similar problem on the forum yet so perhaps someone could help me on the issue.

So to begin i'm on windows 8.1.

I downloaded the torrent file on fuwanovel.

I tried to launch the .exe file. 

Didn't work. chara.dat couldn't be found.

The problem not solving itself (yeah ... I tried to wait  :rolleyes: ) i ran across the forum.

Found with a few solutions

Downloaded a new .exe for Windows 8.1 didn't work

Setup the game with iso virtual discs. Didn't work with the original exe but did with the the new 8.1 exe i had downloaded.

So with this strange solution mix i managed to play the game.

Until !

A massive bug making my computer freeze.

So i relaunch the machine and click the 8.1 exe 

Works ... for about 30 second then the game tells me he can't read random .dat files (voice, bg, chara, ...)

I re downloaded the game and tried to do what i did again. But the error messages were still there.

Any solutions ?

Thank you in advance

The first thing is to check if any files are randomly set to read-only. Seems unlikely since you actually installed it though. Seeing this unable to read stuff makes me suspect that either ever17 doesn't have permission to read those files (might be solvable by launching ever17 as an administrator,) or some program like a virus or an anti-virus is blocking it. Windows 8.1 seems to mess with VNs in general, so there is that.

tl;dr run ever17 as admin, turn off any antivirus and see if that helps, could try scanning for viruses as a long-shot option.

That computer freeze seems pretty mysterious. While it's pretty lame, consider reinstalling as well.

Re installing was done and read only was turn off,I tried on too, none worked.

I'll try running it as an admin, didn't work

I use windows defender and turned it off. It didn't work either.

Strange thing is it will work for 30 sec only if computer was re started or put to sleep mode.

Once the error has occured, the game won't work unless i do what I just told.

Windows 8.1 is pretty terrible with me. :(

This problem is completely random.

But for me it occurred in the middle of Tsugumi's route but seems to happen less often now.

Still does though.

Be patient if this happens ^^

There was this thread regarding Ever17 not working on windows 8.1 

It seems that a lot of people are running into issues because of the OS and not because of the novel itself.

Try going through it to see if you can dig up some solutions

Edit: I saw you ran the 8.1 exe, sorry for not checking that but there might be something in there still so i'll leave it here.

It all points to file corruption though since the game itself is saying it can't read the files. Do a disk check like REtransInternational said

Particularly it seems that that freeze caused something in the instal/run to fail or get corrupted. Try downloading and running C Cleaner for bugs and errors too just in case

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, well i think the best option for people wanting to play it at 100% is to run something like windows XP in virtual box.

Win8.1 just bugs the game. It's playable but I have to restart the computer every 20 minutes, the CG's are bugged and don't save. Neither do the scenes. So the clear list menu isn't relevant.

I've had to do Sora's route twice and redo scenes countless times ... 

I really like the game but this is totally ruining the experience.

• 4 weeks later...

So yeah, I used Virtual box with windows Xp and it works perfectly.

I advise this solution to anybody encountering the problem.

Copying the Ever 17 files does not make you lose the CG's and the clear list.