Looking for help on how to learn to correct visual novel translations

I started reading a vn recently that was very badly translated. Every other line has some grammatical or spelling error. This got me thinking about fixing it myself but I don't know the first thing about the subject.

I have no coding knowledge and I don't know japanese. How difficult would it be to learn how to fix already translated visual novels? Is it something I could possibly learn to do in just a couple of hours or would it take a long time to figure out how to do properly?

I would appreciate any advice on how to get started, I don't have the slightest clue how to even begin learning how to do this. 

From what you tell us, you probably need to learn how to do the coding in order to insert the text, so you didn't really need to learn Japanese if your problem is just grammatical or spelling error. That said, it still very tedious work to do so anyway even if said job is just to inserting the text, and unless there's easy to use engine (Like Eushully one) it'll took some times to learn about the coding. Unfortunately I don't know how to insert the text in the game outside the one from Eushully, but if you need on how to begin perhaps you can try to open the VN files by using Garbro.

It depends a lot on the game engine.

Some game engines like kiri, tyrano, rpgm are open source or otherwise very well documented and easy to work with. Others are much more obscure and may require unique fixes, or worse, unique extraction and recompression tools for that exact game or developer.

Here is the program littleshogun mentioned that can extract assets from most VNs: https://github.com/crskycode/GARbro There is a mainline version as well, but the linked fork is more updated.

What game are you thinking of improving the translation for? Odds are it is not difficult to work with if it is already translated, regardless of the quality. A lot of translation and editing is done in Translator++, Notepad++, and spreadsheet software.

What lost me me is that GARbro refused to work for me with Himegiri (eushully) even though this game is on the compatibility list, I could open all the image files but none of the script filed worked

12 hours ago, Entai384 said:

What game are you thinking of improving the translation for?

The VN in question is 11eyes. I don't mind a few errors here or there I've come to expect it but this translation is the most egregious I have ever seen. Glaring errors on almost every page. I haven't read a lot of vn's yet so maybe I'm just not used to how most of them are but it's so bad it got me thinking of fixing it. Is it not possible to just use a program to open the file that holds all the text and change it? If it requires coding knowledge to be honest I don't think I care enough to learn that much. But if it's something I can do without that I might give it an attempt.