Trying to translate Dasaku (nuiawase)

I've never translated a visual novel before, but i'm interested in trying to translate Dasaku to portuguese.

I know its made in System-NNN and that i need GSS-dev, or VNTranslationTools, but I don't know anything else. Which one is better to use in this case? (I have Win11, if that even matters)

Also, is there a manual somewhere on how to even use this to extract the game files, translate the text, edit the images, and then make a translation patch?

Any help would be extremely helpful!

VNTranslationTools
For working with .spt game text

The command line (windows CMD) syntax is as follows:
cd "VNTextPatch folder path"

for Excel format:
VNTextPatch.exe extractlocal <folder containing original game files> script.xlsx
VNTextPatch.exe insertlocal <folder containing original game files> script.xlsx <folder to receive patched game files>

for JSON format:
VNTextPatch.exe extractlocal <folder containing original game files> <folder to receive .json files>
VNTextPatch.exe insertlocal <folder containing original game files> <folder containing .json files> <folder to receive patched game files>

AE VN Tools

To unpack/pack image archives
.gpk .gtb files must be in the same folder

Edited by sim22x

Thank you for explaing!

21 hours ago, sim22x said:

for JSON format:
VNTextPatch.exe extractlocal <folder containing original game files> <folder to receive .json files>
VNTextPatch.exe insertlocal <folder containing original game files> <folder containing .json files> <folder to receive patched game files>

I tried to do this, but keeps giving me the error "was unexpected at this time". Dunno what is the problem.

42 minutes ago, sim22x said:

Works fine for me

In the VNTextPatch folder create 2 folders 'script' and 'json'. (you can name them differently)
Open the Windows command line
Type

cd "path to VNTextPatch folder"

Run the command 

VNTextPatch extractlocal script json

g2kgieW.png

The json files should be in the 'json' folder

https://pixeldrain.com/u/c45vViCU

Thank you very much! It actually... didn't work at all for me, again. Kept saying that VNTextPatch was not a command or something along those lines, despite me following exactly what you told me to.

Anyway, i do have the files now, I downloaded them from your link! Thank you very much for your patience!

Ho do I turn the files back in .spt? Making the reverse process?

Sorry for asking so many questions, it's my first time trying this!

Kept saying that VNTextPatch was not a command or something

Maybe you wrote the wrong path to the VNTextPatch folder. Where is your VNTextPatch.exe file?
My work folder  https://pixeldrain.com/u/LeiJ6nuV
It is possible that your system needs to explicitly specify an executable file. Add '.exe' to VNTextPatch
The command will look like this:

VNTextPatch.exe extractlocal script json

Ho do I turn the files back in .spt? Making the reverse process?

Create new folders for the translated files. For example 'json_edited' and 'script_edited'
Put the translated .json files in the 'json_edited' folder.
Go to the VNTextPatch folder via windows command line as you did before

cd "path to VNTextPatch folder"

Then command to insert the translation

VNTextPatch.exe insertlocal script json_edited script_edited

The converted .sp files will be in the script_edited folder.

Edited by sim22x

3 hours ago, sim22x said:

Maybe you wrote the wrong path to the VNTextPatch folder. Where is your VNTextPatch.exe file?
My work folder  https://pixeldrain.com/u/LeiJ6nuV
It is possible that your system needs to explicitly specify an executable file. Add '.exe' to VNTextPatch

Apparently that's the issue. Dunno why the .exe is needed, but it worked when I tried it, thanks!

Now it's working perfectly to turn the text both into .json and in .spt! Thank you so much for your help 🙇‍♂️🙇‍♂️

The problem now is the font. I figured it would become a problem.

AJOEZTE.png

I saw the "VNTextProxy" on VNTranslationTools website, can that method be used here? Not sure, so I'm asking here first before I do anything weird.

I'd basically need the text to be smaller and for the letters to be closer to each other. Dunno what do do about special characters like á, à, ê, õ, ç... Maybe changing the font so that, as an exemple, & it's displayed as ê? I've used this method before in other games, but I have no idea if this works on a visual novel format.

53 minutes ago, sim22x said:

Open nnnConfig2.exe in the game folder.
On the second tab you can change the game font.
https://i.imgur.com/ae6Ulff.png

Most Japanese games will only work correctly in the Japanese  system locale.
Select different fonts and see how they appear when you run the game in normal mode or through a Japanese locale emulator.

Thank you! 

I've tried it and noticed the problem is not the font! Altough it's nice that i can edit it to a smaller one. The problm with special characters can be easily fixed by using the symbols idea i've suggested previously, but it seems that i won't be able to do anything unless i'm able to chance the space between the letters.

This is all so complicated 😭 I'll try to search forums aboth this issue too

8o7VO8X.png

I created a custom font based on unifont.ttf. English characters look fine. But special characters with spaces. They will probably need to be increased in width, like English characters. To do this I will need to modify the font file again. Please let me know exactly which special characters you need.
I replaced the Japanese Katakana characters with these special characters:

ÀÁÂÃÇÈÉÊÌÍÎÒÓÔÕÚÛÜ
ァアィイエォオカキギクコサザゴセゼソ

àáâãçèéêìíîóôõòúûü
チヂッツトドナニネノハピフブビホボポ

in json script:

{
    "message": "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ\r\nabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\r\nァアィイエォオカキギクコサザゴセゼソ\r\nチヂッツトドナニネノハピフブビホボポ"
  },

Font: https://pixeldrain.com/u/DkFAiikK

Install the font on your system.
Then select it in the nnnConfig2.exe

Edited by sim22x

fxf files are in plain text when you decrypt it lmao

meexMJ9.png

And vntextproxy + ext_sjis.bin + .ttf/.otf font in game folder will change font and help displaying special characters without replacing them with Japanese characters/ half-width katakana (Just write special characters normally in the script, and when you insert, vntextpatch will output ext_sjis.bin along with the scripts)

6FtoaXL.png

Edited by Sisulizer

5 hours ago, Sisulizer said:

fxf files are in plain text when you decrypt it lmao

You have provided a screenshot of an unencrypted .xtx file from the game Dead End Aegis.
Here are the encrypted .fxf files from the game Dasaku. 
https://pixeldrain.com/u/kiu3YK8T

I don't understand how to get the game to take an external font using d2d1.dll+ext_sjis.bin. Maybe Sisulizer can make a font patch for the game.
https://imgur.com/a/nUyaoE1

Edited by sim22x

Decrypted fxf link

You have to use the correct proxy the game prefers like it notes:

If the game doesn't reference d2d1.dll, you can use the files from one of the "AlternateProxies" subfolders to turn the DLL into a proxy for, say, version.dll. If the game doesn't reference any of the provided proxies, you can use DLLProxyGenerator to make your own.

The proxies are already compiled in release

11 hours ago, sim22x said:

Font: https://pixeldrain.com/u/DkFAiikK

Install the font on your system.
Then select it in the nnnConfig2.exe

Thank you for going so far to help me, I don't even know how to thank youuu

But yeah, the size difference ends up being too weird.

11 hours ago, sim22x said:

I created a custom font based on unifont.ttf. English characters look fine. But special characters with spaces. They will probably need to be increased in width, like English characters. To do this I will need to modify the font file again. Please let me know exactly which special characters you need.
I replaced the Japanese Katakana characters with these special characters:

The portuguese language only has this ones:

á, à, ã, â
é, ê
í
ó, õ, ô
ú
ç

There's no need for more (execpt the capitalized version of all of them, ofc)

10 hours ago, sim22x said:

Good news, I found a tool to decrypt the game settings files (init2 folder). Now I know how to change the font size by changing the bytes in the printmessage.fxf file using a hex editor.

Tried do use this, but no idea how to use the decryptor. The guide appears to be in chinese, and I can't read it to save my life. The images on the guide also don't appear for me.

50 minutes ago, Sisulizer said:

Decrypted fxf link

You have to use the correct proxy the game prefers like it notes:

I've read this post and the one you made before it, but I have no idea what is a proxy and what proxy would the game prefer. As I said before, I'm a newbie, but it seems very useful!

I'm trying to understand, but it would be best if all this font stuff could be explained in simpler terms, sorry for the trouble!

34 minutes ago, Sisulizer said:

Decrypted fxf link

You can't just rename the decrypted file to .fxf. The game engine won't accept it. But it is not necessary, I already know how to work with encrypted files.

54 minutes ago, Sisulizer said:

The proxies are already compiled in release

The ddraw.dll and winmm.dll work fine, but the English capital letters are a bit broken.
enlEIki.png

@Mayaya https://pixeldrain.com/u/hrNuMedP

Unzip to the folder with the game. 
In nnnConfig2.exe, uncheck the box that you previously checked to change the font.

@Sisulizer I believe I understood now! Thank you very much. What are you using to display the font? If it is SystemNNN itself, I don't have it.

15 minutes ago, sim22x said:

@Mayaya https://pixeldrain.com/u/hrNuMedP

Unzip to the folder with the game. 
In nnnConfig2.exe, uncheck the box that you previously checked to change the font.

Thank you!

I don't think the English capital letters broken, it seems like an issue that only occurs in the first line of the first dialog box of the game (i think).

edyZSaT.png

The "o"s are what seem a bit broken? 

As an example, õ displays as à and ô displays as ê. Any idea what might be the issue? My unicode programs are set to be read in japanese, if that's what might be causing it.

Thanks to you both!

10 minutes ago, Mayaya said:

As an example, õ displays as à and ô displays as ê. Any idea what might be the issue? My unicode programs are set to be read in japanese, if that's what might be causing it.

Try to use your own sjis_ext.bin (which is output by vntextpatch when inserting). If that still doesn't work, keep using your own sjis_ext.bin, but change to a new font like Arial

Edited by Sisulizer

9 minutes ago, Mayaya said:

The "o"s are what seem a bit broken? 

I have these letters displayed normally, as in the screenshot above. Give me the text string you are outputting in the game. Maybe it uses different Unicode characters

36 minutes ago, Mayaya said:

I don't think the English capital letters broken, it seems like an issue that only occurs in the first line of the first dialog box of the game (i think).

Yes, the first line breaks the font. Perhaps the remaining three lines would be enough for you to translate. I can reduce the font to fit more words on one line.

36 minutes ago, Mayaya said:

My unicode programs are set to be read in japanese, if that's what might be causing it.

My system is not set up to run Japanese programs. I run the game in normal mode. No locale emulator or region switching.

35 minutes ago, Sisulizer said:

Try this link

Fixed the problem with the first line, but returned spaces between characters. Changing the font does not help.
Jp1VsrL.png

1 hour ago, Sisulizer said:

Try this link

I got the same problem as sim22x, the spacing between the letters is terrible.

VNTextPatch is not outputing any sjis_ext.bin for me, also. Where is it supposed to be? I can't find it even when i change spt to json or viceversa.

1 hour ago, sim22x said:

I have these letters displayed normally, as in the screenshot above. Give me the text string you are outputting in the game. Maybe it uses different Unicode characters

Not sure if this means just showing what I traslated, but here is a screenshot anyway.

When I try to imput all the letters to change it, this is what it looks like in opposed to the pattern

ÀÁÂÃÇÈÉÊÌÍÎÒÓÔÕÚÛÜ

àáâãçèéêìíîóôõòúûü

BzhD1Hj.png

I also changed my unicord programs to be read in brazilian portuguese, and the same thing occurs.

Edited by Mayaya

I think I've found a solution to the first line.
You need to skip only the very first line in the script (put space+\r\n)
The rest of the first lines in other messages will display normally.

26 minutes ago, Mayaya said:

ÀÁÂÃÇÈÉÊÌÍÎÒÓÔÕÚÛÜ

àáâãçèéêìíîóôõòúûü

LIJVGyr.png

You can try running my version.
Or remove the ddraw.dll and put winmm.dll
If the problem persists, then the problem is somewhere in your system. Try running the game on a different system.

Edited by sim22x