Need help running game. NSFW

BUGA

Hello, new to the visual novel scene and community, I recently purchased a eroge off DL site. I was able to download the file for the game but it won’t launch, it has a message in Japanese. I don’t know what it says or what I have to do to get the game to run.  Any help is appreciated. 

Some additional info that I think would be relevant is that I have all my settings to Japanese besides the language display. The  name and info for game is here in this link

https://vndb.org/v3229 : Game info

https://imgur.com/a/MqMd8v8 error message for when I try to run the game 

First, the reason behind the error is probably simply that the game's engine has some kind of incompatibility with your operating system.  The game is originally from 2010, and it looks like they didn't use a familiar engine, which probably means it is one of the random engines from that time or one they coded themselves (if it was a famous one like kirikiri, realive or siglus, it would have been listed on the vndb page).  

The error itself is a generic one that pops up sometimes when JVNs fail to activate due to incompatibilities, saying 'An error during initial setup.  The script file cannot be found.'  It's not a terribly unusual sight of late, since some of the updates a few years ago to Windows 10 rendered some older VNs completely incompatible.  Windows 11 is even worse. 

First, thank you for the information and fast response kindly.

This is rather unfortunate I suppose there is no recourse within means to be able to run the game? For future purposes where can I find this information on vndb so that I don’t end up in a similar situation? 

1 hour ago, BUGA said:

First, thank you for the information and fast response kindly.

This is rather unfortunate I suppose there is no recourse within means to be able to run the game? For future purposes where can I find this information on vndb so that I don’t end up in a similar situation? 

Obvious solution is an emulator for an earlier form of Windows.  I'd suggest 7 or XP, given when it came out.  

As for solutions for game engines, the only real advice I can give you is stick to games made after 2014 or ones made by popular companies.  The one you picked was an obscure game by a defunct minor company that seems to have gone out of business before 2016, which means it didn't even make it to the Covid era...  To check for engines, you can either check the game's official website (the engine is often listed there) or click the releases for the game and look to see if the game engine is listed.  

Thankfully for you, there are plenty of nukige of this type that have come out in recent years (for some reason milfs made a huge comeback in the last three years after years of being ignored) so this particular fetish is covered.  I guess the nukige community has regressed to the point where they have an Oedipus Complex...?  

The big problem with older nukige is that no one bothers to find solutions for fixing problems with them, since more nukige come out every year than every other genre combined.  Even if you ask for help, it is unlikely anyone will have a solution with this type of game if you couldn't find it elsewhere.  

Oh, just in case... did you make sure your locale is set to Japan and your system language to Japanese?  I didn't mention this solution earlier because it is the general assumption that that is the first thing everyone tries... 

33 minutes ago, Clephas said:

Obvious solution is an emulator for an earlier form of Windows.  I'd suggest 7 or XP, given when it came out.  

As for solutions for game engines, the only real advice I can give you is stick to games made after 2014 or ones made by popular companies.  The one you picked was an obscure game by a defunct minor company that seems to have gone out of business before 2016, which means it didn't even make it to the Covid era...  To check for engines, you can either check the game's official website (the engine is often listed there) or click the releases for the game and look to see if the game engine is listed.  

Thankfully for you, there are plenty of nukige of this type that have come out in recent years (for some reason milfs made a huge comeback in the last three years after years of being ignored) so this particular fetish is covered.  I guess the nukige community has regressed to the point where they have an Oedipus Complex...?  

The big problem with older nukige is that no one bothers to find solutions for fixing problems with them, since more nukige come out every year than every other genre combined.  Even if you ask for help, it is unlikely anyone will have a solution with this type of game if you couldn't find it elsewhere.  

Oh, just in case... did you make sure your locale is set to Japan and your system language to Japanese?  I didn't mention this solution earlier because it is the general assumption that that is the first thing everyone tries... 

I’ll look into an emulator to see if I can salvage my loss. I am not to pc savvy, but I will do my due diligence. But yes, I do have my locale and system language to Japanese. I left the display language to English.

I will now take all this into account if I decide to purchase another degenerate game lol. Makes sense for older titles to just be left behind when there are 50 more just like it. 

This particular fetish at least on VNBD does not have many new releases,  it seems erogamescape at least to me has the better list, I find links to games on dlsite that don’t pop up on google when you enter them manually.

Lastly, if it’s not much trouble I have another issue where I bought a game from “DMM” Fanza Games. 

They want me to install this program, which is fine by itself. But it’s on an unsecured website, it’s the official link to the game. I asked someone about this particular problem and they said they ran into no problems despite downloading the same software. I am on the other assuming if download anything from that site I am at risk. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, BUGA said:

I’ll look into an emulator to see if I can salvage my loss. I am not to pc savvy, but I will do my due diligence. But yes, I do have my locale and system language to Japanese. I left the display language to English.

I will now take all this into account if I decide to purchase another degenerate game lol. Makes sense for older titles to just be left behind when there are 50 more just like it. 

This particular fetish at least on VNBD does not have many new releases,  it seems erogamescape at least to me has the better list, I find links to games on dlsite that don’t pop up on google when you enter them manually.

Lastly, if it’s not much trouble I have another issue where I bought a game from “DMM” Fanza Games. 

They want me to install this program, which is fine by itself. But it’s on an unsecured website, it’s the official link to the game. I asked someone about this particular problem and they said they ran into no problems despite downloading the same software. I am on the other assuming if download anything from that site I am at risk. Thoughts?

DMM in general is a problematic website.  They randomly decide not to sell things to westerners for a time, going so far as to ip-block us, only to suddenly let us back in to buy their stuff, only to not let us use it.  I honestly don't recommend buying anything from DMM.

13 minutes ago, Clephas said:

DMM in general is a problematic website.  They randomly decide not to sell things to westerners for a time, going so far as to ip-block us, only to suddenly let us back in to buy their stuff, only to not let us use it.  I honestly don't recommend buying anything from DMM.

Well, it’s a bit late for that, I bought one game via VPN. I was aware of their practices regarding westerners. 

I’m presuming it’s a “no” in regards to installing their software? It’s on an insecure domain, it has DRM

Before trying an emulator, you could try running the game in compatiblity mode and/or launching it as administrator if you haven't already. You can find these settings by right-clicking the EXE and then going to Properties -> Compatiblity. Booting games in compatibility mode for XP or Windows 7 has saved me a few times with troublesome VNs.

You could also try out Locale Emulator. There have been a few cases where I was unable to launch certain VNs with my system set to Japanese locale, but Locale Emulator was somehow able to boot them properly.

Edited by Seraphim

7 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Before trying an emulator, you could try running the game in compatiblity mode and/or launching it as administrator if you haven't already. You can find these settings by right-clicking the EXE and then going to Properties -> Compatiblity. Booting games in compatibility mode for XP or Windows 7 has saved me a few times with troublesome VNs.

You could also try out Locale Emulator. There have been a few cases where I was unable to launch certain VNs with my system set to Japanese locale, but Locale Emulator was somehow able to boot them properly.

Tried both, running compatibility mode and as administrator. No dice, I am going to try the locale emulator now 

As previously mentioned, the error says the game couldn't start due to a missing script.

In that case, and if the error hasn't been fixed yet, it is possible the file's name got broken during extraction, if you extracted the game without using a Shift-JIS compatible setting.

So please try extracting the game again while either using a program that can be set to Shift-JIS or, if using Windows Vista or above, while your system is set to Japanese locale.