Clephas' custom recommend a VN thread

Clephas

Well, since there's an awesome topic like this, it definitely wouldn't hurt to add something to my backlog. :)

Genre: utsuge, mystery, horror... anything along these lines, though I prefer the darker stuff

Linguistic level (from 1-10): Not sure about this one. I've recently read Disorder6 and had almost no difficulty with it (well, I did look up the words I didn't know, of course; and skipped quite some of the unvoiced lines because looking up the kanji took too much time--), and I also made my way through Dunamis15 somehow, though that was pretty hard with the sciientific lingo. I'm still pretty horrible with kanji, although that can be fixed with text-hookers. So... 5-6 I guess? No idea.

Stimulus preferred: Emotion is great, but mind-screw above anything else.

What is your list of no-nos?: I can get over mostly anything.

Other: Voiced protagonists are a big plus, since it makes the VN both easier to understand and adds more depth.

I'll repeat my recommendation of the Secret Game series from above, but I'll also recommend Harumade Kururu (this game is a serious mindfuck, though its beginning doesn't show it)  and Natsukumo Yururu (same company).  Most utsuge don't quite make it onto the mindfuck train, because confusion often takes away from the emotions they are trying to induce.  For utsuge, I'll recommend Konata yori Kanata Made again, as well as Boku ga Tenshi ni Natta Wake (this one has some mindfuck, though it is relatively minor).  Konakana is an emotional hammer, but Tenshi is significantly darker, because of the hidden aspects that are only revealed near the endings. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few things I'm looking for. I don't care what level of Japanese these games are, it doesn't matter to me as long as in your opinion the story is good and fits the description. I prefer story focused visual novels over slice of life or romance but this doesn't mean I don't like something with highly charged emotional roller coaster ride.

1. Something epic in the style of Xenogears or Evangelion, a huge spanning epic tale with world or universe ending cataclysmic events. Can include religious and philosophical overtones but  it's not required.

2. Mystery sci-fi with a plot full of twists and turns, info dumps,  and maybe even some mind screw stuff. Think Ever17, Remember11, 12Riven and similar ones. (no need to mention I/O and Root Double as I know about them already.)

3. Something manly hotblooded over the top crazy. Think Gurren Lagann, mecha is not a must but there has to be this hotblooded feeling.

4. Finally some hilariously funny comedy. Something side splitting funny. I don't mind slapstick comedy either. Think in the style of Seto no Hanayome, Nagasarete Airantou, Yamato Nadeshiko (and pretty much anything directed by Nabeshin aka Shinichi Watanabe,) Baka to Test and similar tones.

Let me know if you can up with anything that will fit into one of those categories. You can recommend as many as you want, not just one for each category. Thank you for all the help.

For your first and second requests, try the latest game I played, Bradyon Veda.  It is hard sci-fi at its most extreme, with a multiverse-spanning plot.

For your third and fourth, I can recommend Evolimit, one of my permanent top-ten residents.  Most games by Propeller have great humor, balanced with great action and the like.  The protagonist isn't one of those super-hot blooded people, but that is mostly because he isn't a moron, like most of the people of that type.

If you want really hot-blooded protag, you need Trample on Schatten or Legend Seven. 

Most decent mech VNs (though mech-haters would say there is no such thing) don't have much in the way of hot-blooded main characters.   Sorry I couldn't find you anything like that.  Lagann was like a love letter to the old 'giant robot' genre, and the genre was already dying at the turn of the century.  So, it is quite natural you won't find anything like that anymore that doesn't make fun of the genre. 

Comedy is ridiculously easy to find in VNs... but truly hilarious comedy is fairly rare.  Stuff similar to Clannad is the most common (usually toned down or not nearly as good) and the comedy tends to be reliant on the character dynamics.  Manzai (tsukkumi/boke) is the most common, with the next being comedy where the situation plus Japanese inside culture makes it into a joke.  tbh, unless you are an all-out otaku who has given over his life to otaku culture, there is a good chance you won't pick up on the latter.

Edit: At least part of the reason why there are almost no decent 'pure-comedy' VNs is because VNs with great comedy tend to also have great writers, and great writers have problems with open-ended or empty stories.  A good portion of the VNs with great stories also have great humor. 

Thank you man. I bow before your infinite wisdom.

All the games look pretty awesome. To be honest I already had Bradyon Veda on my list, first it's from Akatsuki Works and then you also did a great review of it and now you recommend it here so that's 3 out of 3 I guess, lol. I have to get it.

All the recommendations are awesome. Thanks.