Can I play Da Capo 4 without playing Da Capo 3?

psvortex

From what I see, Da Capo 4 here is the new continuation, so yeah you probably can still enjoy Da Capo 3 if you play Da Capo 4 first because both games have different continuity. That said, Da Capo 3 is a good VN by it's own anyway even without factoring the sequel, especially if you've been a fan of it. By the way, I still hope that someday Mangagamer will license Da Capo 4 seeing that the initial version might be created to be sold in Steam, but it might be too hard for them as of now.

Edited by littleshogun

18 hours ago, littleshogun said:

From what I see, Da Capo 4 here is the new continuation, so yeah you probably can still enjoy Da Capo 3 if you play Da Capo 4 first because both games have different continuity. That said, Da Capo 3 is a good VN by it's own anyway even without factoring the sequel, especially if you've been a fan of it. By the way, I still hope that someday Mangagamer will license Da Capo 4 seeing that the initial version might be created to be sold in Steam, but it might be too hard for them as of now.

I don't think there is mention of Da Capo 4 from MG perhaps because DC3 did not sell as well as anticipated. I have played the first two and found DC3 to be very boring in comparison. I think DC2 had the best story. Circus needs to give up on this series that used to be their cash cow and move on. It is like they can come up with no new ideas for a story. Heck, look at Del Sagano which was very similar in setting and from what I understand that flopped.

19 hours ago, Erogamer said:

I don't think there is mention of Da Capo 4 from MG perhaps because DC3 did not sell as well as anticipated. I have played the first two and found DC3 to be very boring in comparison. I think DC2 had the best story. Circus needs to give up on this series that used to be their cash cow and move on. It is like they can come up with no new ideas for a story. Heck, look at Del Sagano which was very similar in setting and from what I understand that flopped.

DC2 is often recognized as the best in the series. I tend to moderately agree, or at least it's pretty good. DC1 keeps a 'vintage' quality to it that brings back nostalgia. As for DC3, I've only read one of the two : I never read the one that takes place in the 'present' (Platinum I think it was called) and only read the one in the past/magic academia, and honestly, it wasn't bad I thought at the time (I've read it in Japanese all those years ago, I only vaguely remember). At the least, I thought it wasn't a shame in the series.

Haven't read DC4, can't speak for sure, but it is very probable that it can be read before DC3 just as litleshogun said, as the stories/'continuities' of the DC series, despite not being as 'discontinued' as the Zelda series, are often only vaguely linked (through genealogy, the island/tree, Sakura and Suginamis mostly ^^).

Edited by Bredan