Visual Novels on Android

SabrinaF

A while back there was a serious effort to get more VNs to work on Android. Way back in 2013 actually, I would recommend reading this thread: Android Visual Novel [Let's play visual novel on the go!]. However a more up to date thread from 2018 goes over it a bit, and most people in that thread don't seem to recommend it. If on the off chance you can read Japanese, there are some high profile VNs you can get on the Play Store. I'm pretty sure KEY has some of its VNs on it. They may be in English, but I'm pretty sure they are Japanese only for now, might be worth at least checking to confirm for sure.

I think Katawa Shoujo might also have a port for Android. Which is a VN I would highly recommend.

Quite a few Western developers will have android versions of their games available, because if they work with either Ren'Py or Unity game engines it's really easy to port to Android. They might not be on the Play Store though, as google can be even more prudish than Steam was in the past, banning people for random reasons (like a little bit of cleavage in cover art). So you might need to find apk files on Itch.io or developer's sites, for manual install... I'm not sure it will be very helpful, but you can browse android releases of VNs available in English here. You'll find a lot of small, freeware games, a lot of mobile cash-grabs and very few mainstream titles among them – major visual novel publishers didn't have much success bringing their catalogues to Android yet, which I like 100% put on their marketing ineptitude.

• 3 weeks later...

Some Developer do publish their work on the App-Stores as well, like Key published Clannad, Summer Pockets, Kanon and Air as far as I know. The reason for people to play on PC is because the mayority of VNs are being developed for PC in Japan, and most titles who were not developed originally for PC do mostly get a port later on. Also the big screen makes reading more appealing, at least for me. A good point is that you can also translate Japanese Games with VisualNovelReader which is only working on a PC properly (more or less). I think I'd have problems with the small font on my phone (IPhone 11), so PC is always a good option. Also, the Phone Versions are extremely overpriced (of what I've seen). On Steam you will get them for much less money, especially during sale. I would  recommend you to look on the Steam Sales regulary and then try to look for something which catches your interest Genre-Wise. Sorry if I didn't straight out answered your question. Hope you have a nice time reading~

Edited by ParanoidGegnar

The best thing to do is go to the App store and just browse "Visual Novels" or "Otome". I have a lot on my phone that I found through Google Play, with some of them being ones that are also on PC. 

Heartbaked was one of the cutest ones I played on my phone and then my PC.