text showing squares/boxes for text threads

so i bought a few random cheap games when i was in japan last week and im new to VNR.

As i was attempting to get my text thread it only shows up as squares, the text in the game displays fine however.

the text thread found is PENSILA4AC5 Shift-Jis, ive looked high and low to find either a .ttf that im missing or a lang pack that isnt built into windows lang pack installers, ive also set my locale to japan as well along with enabling the japanese keyboard. 

im not sure if im missing something or what to do next.

Edited by kingck

Probably wrong character encoding....  That kind of thing pops up when you have the wrong setting in VNR or when it is in an encoding type wrong for the ITH variants.  Go into the text options, and you'll see an option for character encoding (it is a drop down).  The top three options are the Japanese character encoding types.  One of the three should cover it.

Instead of creating a new topic, allow me to use yours to ask something.

So, after months without playing VNs in Japanese, decided it was time to play one, but here is the problem: ITH or even ITHVNR doesn't open. It shows up in task manager, but that's it.

Any idea? (Windows 7, net framework is under 4.7, tried admin, disabling antivirus, but nothing works)

It worked perfectly on my old PC, so I really don't know why it would not on this one...

Edited by Riku

What ITHVNR version do you use?

28 minutes ago, Riku said:

Instead of creating a new topic, allow me to use yours to ask something.

So, after months without playing VNs in Japanese, decided it was time to play one, but here is the problem: ITH or even ITHVNR doesn't open. It shows up in task manager, but that's it.

Any idea? (Windows 7, net framework is under 4.7, tried admin, disabling antivirus, but nothing works)

It worked perfectly on my old PC, so I really don't know why it would not on this one...

I had that happen with ith (simple) when using an older version. It may be the same with ITHVNR, what ITHVNR version do you use?

Edited by +StrikeR+

Nothing to do with the version, tried other versions and it's the same. Also, like I said, it worked perfectly on my previous computer and I just copied it from here.

But if you really want to know it's 3.5584.2. The special version modified to hook the Uso series VNs doesn't work either.

Edited by Riku

8 minutes ago, Riku said:

Nothing to do with the version, tried other versions and it's the same. Also, like I said, it worked perfectly on my previous computer and I just copied it from here.

But if you really want to know it's 3.5584.2. The special version modified to hook the Uso series VNs doesn't work either.

We don't know under what conditions and what your previously used setup was, asking for the version is one of the first steps of troubleshooting, and now i can rule that out. With that out of the way have you installed vs 2015?

Okay boys, found the problem!

I used this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Then after rebooting my PC many times, I found out that when the program Nahimic Audio Driver is open ITHVNR doesn't work. Thankfully even if the program is closed it seems like the parameters are saved and the sound stay the same, so I just have to close Nahimic Audio Driver and everything works (perfect sound included)

It's weird, but heh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the help anyway.

Edited by Riku