Coders paid mentor program

Guest Aaeru

this might be useful for someone?

http://www.codementor.io/

Get Mentors On-Demand

Codementor connects you with experienced mentors for instant help via screen sharing, video, and text chat.

Solve Urgent Issues

Get instant help from experts for topics including Ruby, Python, PHP, JavaScript, CSS/HTML, iOS, and more.

XTLajTU.png

what the? did you not see they charge money for this?

Also I would never trust with my money a site that has Privacy and Terms links that don't even work (they just link to homepage)... They must be REALLY good coders if they mess that up, or perhaps scammers more likely.

Well like others said, you are better asking Luch on TS or someone on IRC or anyone else in GD. There are also tons of forums for expert help that are FREE.

I think Aaeru just missed the information about the payment rates, because this doesn't go well with her free market ideology otherwise.

edit: wait a sec the topic says paid mentor program. I don't understand why Aaeru from all people would recommend something that is otherwise free, world suddenly doesn't make sense to me huh.gif

You're not entitled to get any answer, no help, nothing from asking on any of those sites - stupid rookie mistake because you never worked with framework XYZ or linux distribution ABC? Expect to get the shit trolled out of you for daring to ask a simple question, before the actual answers start rolling in. Same thing on bigger communities like reddit.

Make a service out of it and you're entitled to get helped because otherwise you tell them to fuck off and that you're issuing a refund.

That said, of course most problems can be fixed by RTFM and the likes, but I would expect them to handle very specific issues for businesses who can just pass on the costs of that troubleshoot session to their customer.

You're not entitled to get any answer, no help, nothing from asking on any of those sites - stupid rookie mistake because you never worked with framework XYZ or linux distribution ABC? Expect to get the shit trolled out of you for daring to ask a simple question, before the actual answers start rolling in. Same thing on bigger communities like reddit.

I think you mistake those sites for 4chan and reddit. You must believe that there are actually nice people on the internet and if a site or forum is well moderated, it works miracles.

This is like saying "Fuwanovel is a place where you get trolled, your topic will be deleted etc if you ask about English translation for a VN - because that's what happens on VNDB so it must happen on Fuwanovel too, right?".

NO! As you can see there are actually people who are helpful, because they might once also have been people who needed help and received it.

That's how this works, if you were helped, what is stopping you from next time helping someone else.

There are dicks on the internet and if you have not-moderated forum such as 4chan (where to that everyone is Anonymous so what you say doesn't even matter), you will have them. But if you make good moderating effort and care about users of your website, you will ban the dicks and attract the serious users.

And TBH you are not even entitled to get answer from the site posted by Aaeru, because they don't even have Terms of Use - their site just doesn't work and there is no warning that it is in construction web. Maybe I am wrong but I am in the Internet Services and IM for some while and I know how this can work. Terms is the first thing you should check before paying anything to any internet service, because otherwise you might find yourself paying money for something that doesn't exist and then having hassles with Paypal trying to get your money back (which is quite easy if you really want but you will be separated from your money at least several days to weeks).

Last thing, I didn't look that much but from quick search I did not even find a relevant review from that site or a confirmation by anyone relevant that they actually provided their service.

This can mean 2 things -

1. they are few days old and under construction, which still should be notified somewhere before the payment (I didn't try to go through the payment so maybe there is such warning) but in that case I would not recommend that website like Aaeru did

2. it is a scam or at minimum grey hat marketing, which is never good for recommendations. Sure lot of grey hat websites "work" but their conditions are not always the clearest, in this case there are not even any conditions or Terms, therefore I might even put it closer to a black hat and scam.

After a little check, it seems that the option 1 is correct, they seem to be really new (maybe a month or so) and clearly not yet ready to even start accepting customers, therefore I fail to see why would Aaeru recommend something like that.

If she said that it is a friend who is trying to start this or that she actually used their service and described how it went through, then sure I might be more acceptable, as I would know the reason why she posted it.

But as is - a random website with absolutely no background, no guarantees, no reviews, no Terms even - I am just trying to protect our users from wasting money, and I strongly recommend NOT TO USE this website.

I guess it'd be pretty tough in general to make people pay for a code mentoring program~ Google is really the best developer I know of. You can find a solution to just about any problem by doing a search. I remember seeing a site where you need to pay to browse a solutions forum. That one frustrated a lot of developers as well. This sounds like an interesting service, but without having looked into it, I'll just leave my comment at that :).

And actually here are some of the FREE variants.

For programming problems and help with code: http://stackoverflow.com/

For scripts, OS settings and stuff like that: http://superuser.com/

For help with network and servers: http://serverfault.com/

These sites do not provide mentoring, and stupid questions are closed w/out answers (I have rep-based mod powers on SO, so I do know what I'm talking about). SO is good when you are stuck on some particular problem, and mentoring is completely different beast. I've mentored some people in the past, and its very time-consuming activity that there's no reason to do for free. In fact, mentoring positions are common on odesk.

These sites do not provide mentoring, and stupid questions are closed w/out answers (I have rep-based mod powers on SO, so I do know what I'm talking about). SO is good when you are stuck on some particular problem, and mentoring is completely different beast. I've mentored some people in the past, and its very time-consuming activity that there's no reason to do for free. In fact, mentoring positions are common on odesk.

That is true that you don't get mentoring on SO, however you get basically what this codementors site offers, they present themselves as a quick help when you are stuck with a problem, for which SO and such works just fine.

Never looked much into actual programming courses or mentoring but I am sure that if I would want to, sure it would be paid service but it would also be someone who prepares the plan for me (such as those "learn Python in 2 months" programs etc). [for which I would first look through many reviews to determine if its actually good program]

So again, I have nothing against paid mentoring, as it often is someone experienced in education, therefore helps you learn faster. But this specific website look very fishy for the reasons mentioned in the previous posts. So I just wonder why would Aaeru post something like that here, without any reasoning or explanation behind it.