Hard drive

Captain

So this isnt really so much an issue, but its a technical question so figured this was the best section to ask in.

Problem is, i download visual novels to my pc as i use it the most, and so its more convenient. However there are quite a few times when i wish i had the same VN on my laptop. My question is, is it possible to download all the required files of a VN to an external hard-drive, so as to easily switch between using to separate machines with the exact same save data?

Depends on the VN. Most VNs that you can find pre-patched (such as here) will work if you just drop the entire folder into the hdd and run the .exe from there. However, I'm not sure it would work for everything. Some applications can be installed on a USB disk or such, but I don't know much more about those subjects.

My question is, is it possible to download all the required files of a VN to an external hard-drive, so as to easily switch between using to separate machines with the exact same save data?

Not without some sort of sync between both computers. And although there is a lot of software to accomplish just that I never tried it myself, so I can't tell from experience. Most VNs save their game data to My Documents (exact location depends on Windows version), some to AppData/ProgramData, so it's quite a lot of work.

Your best bet is to buy a NAS. That way you can just hook it up to the router and use a network share to access the data.

Most NAS also have the benefit of built in raid so you have the option of redundancy for your data as well.

Here is a 2 bay version on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-2-Bay-Server-Enclosure-TN-200/dp/B00DIO9M1S

If the savedata is stored in the user-profile your best bet is to make use of folder redirection (My Documents???,Appdata???,Programdata??) and have both users point to the same location of the network share.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221837

You of course are not limited to keeping your save games on the NAS. You can store movies and watch between computers and the same applies to games etc. The NAS I listed also comes with DLNA support that allows you to stream movies to Smart TV's, game consoles, etc.

yea the save file don't always save inside the installed folder, it creates a folder in your My Documents, or {User}/AppData/Roaming or {User}/Saved Games

and it's different for different windows versions

all you have to do is find this folder and copy the save files and make sure you put it where it needs to go on your laptop and it can resume the game from where u left off