Sukisuki comments relative to Chuablesoft's previous works

ittaku

Regarding Watashi ga Suki nara "Suki" tte Itte! which it was just announced will receive an official localisation by Mangagamer.

I've played Sugar+Spice and Sugar+Spice2 from Chuablesoft and this game, sukisuki, is effectively their Sugar+Spice3 sequel. I picked 1 and 2 up originally in Japan purely because of the confession system because in a moege the confession moment is arguably the most important scene in any route and the thought of having control over it was rather exciting. Indeed it was always a little scary and exciting when you chose to try to confess to a girl. Probably one of the more unexpected things about these games was out of the blue tackling a story involving incest. It's probably not a big deal that there's any spoiler in this section since these are now old games and almost certainly won't get a localisation. These are long games in the 30-50 hour reading range. SS1 was a head injury amnesia charage story while SS2 was a non-descript moege story.

Presumably SS3 shares many qualities with their earlier instalments. Their game system has a "choose-your-own-adventure" feel to it where time moves forward and you have a certain number of points to expend in each month. You get to choose which scene to play from a selection of scenes, each scene expending a certain number of points, and they give you a hint as to which heroine's route they're part of based on the girls shown in the scene icon. Some scenes are mandatory checkpoints and take you to the next month/time period. As you gain favour with each girl, your likelihood of getting a favourable response to a confession increases over time. It's not actually a given that that's the successful way to make them your partner. Over the 2 games I played, some girls you simply could not actually get from a confession scene - either you had to confess to them multiple times to get them to finally give in, or the way to get them wasn't actually the confession at all. After 3 failed confessions to the same girl the game would usually come to an abrupt ending. Some you could get by confession but there were also other situations where you could be surprised by ending up with them before you got a chance to confess. The ability to try to confess to them is unlocked after a certain amount of play.

What they also did was that you could/should play through each heroine's route actually 3 times over as each play through unlocked more scenes/extended scenes with them, or allowed you to confess to them earlier, or they might even confess to you first. You really missed out on quite a few scenes if you did not play them through multiple times. All in all it was actually a lot of fun, and it allowed you to simply skip scenes entirely on 2nd playthroughs, yet earn the girl's favour by expending your points on that scene, making it not too repetitive, but personally I'm not a big fan of needing to play the same routes more than once. The main issue I really had was that there are many common scenes in each month, so that even if you end up on one of the heroine's routes, the story was unchanged and you suddenly seemed to be neutral towards all the girls in common scenes despite actually partnering up with one of the girls. I'm unsure whether this latest instalment is any better in that regard. Overall SS1 was very good for me at 8/10 for me but SS2 they reused all the background CGs and set it up in the same world 4 years after SS1, reusing characters and referring to the first a lot which was both good and bad, and the neutral common scene and choosing scene aspect became a detriment and it was repetitive and boring and I rated it 6/10. I suspect it didn't help a great deal that I didn't warm to 2 of the heroines as well. I'm guessing/hoping a complete rewrite in sukisuki with new engine, world, and confession system will make it much better than their rehash in SS2 and am looking forward to it.

12 minutes ago, Kiriririri said:

Probably the same in SukiSuki (Haven't played 1 or 2). It has umm... 4 confessions scenes for heroines. Also I didn't even meet one of the heroines on my first play-through lol.

Heh well in SS2 one of the characters doesn't even show up till 3 months in whereas the confession option comes up after 2 months but her character is greyed out in the confession choices. 4 heroines is the standard for both SS1 and SS2. Note there are random other H scenes if you're lucky that aren't even the main 4 heroines - e.g. the teacher in SS1 who you can "complete" her story in Sugar+Spice party party which is an annoying minigame fandisc but has extra story to SS1, along with another character you couldn't get in SS1 (I wouldn't recommend playing party party which was bundled with SS1 in a special release I bought unless you're a sucker for torture or enjoy those god awful annoying minigames.)