The Noragami OST Controversy: An Inside Opinion

babiker

Just a while ago I got linked this, and needless to say I'm more than a little annoyed over this whole thing. TL;DR: They're going to delay the release date of Noragami's OST/blueray disks because apparently they have Islamic prayers in some of their soundtracks, which has offended a few Muslims.

I've been following Noragami's second season since it's very first day, and thus far I consider to be the best airing anime at the moment. You may be wondering to yourself "Oh, but you're a Muslim right? Surely you were extremely butt hurt by there being an Islamic prayer in one of the songs!" :conspiracy:

No, I actually didn't notice it was there. I had to go hunting for that track (push buttons is its name btw) just to make sure the news was legit. :wafuu:

"So uh, are you butt hurt now?":makina:

Of course not baka, what do you think I am? A guy looking for excuses to get offended...? :vinty:

Anyways, for those looking for more detail on why this is offensive: This very same issue, the "Islamic call to prayer being used in music", happened to Ocarina of time. Gaijin Goomba has a video that explains the issue in a pretty good way.

In conclusion, I guess I just want to say this was pretty lame. Although this personally doesn't insult me, I can understand how it would insult some other Muslims. Do note that regardless of if we find something offensive or not, we have no right to force people who don't even follow the religion  to respect any of it's teachings. What the Japanese did was extremely considerate and polite of them, and I can't help but respect them for it. But it's easy to misunderstand this whole situation as people forcing their rules and beliefs down other people's throats, and that simply isn't the case.

So let's hope this doesn't affect the production of this anime, otherwise I'll be very sad... In other news, I just downloaded the song and now can't stop listening to it :wahaha:

Japanese companies take this type of stuff really seriously and they'll do everything in their power to make sure they stay out of controversy. Since I'm not a muslim I had no clue anything related to islam was in the soundtrack, and honestly I doubt the Japanese did too, so that's probably why they don't mind removing it.

They probably feel safer with a delay in the OST's release than with a controversy related to islam, which is a huge hot topic around the world right now and could inadvertidly lead to unwanted negative attention to the anime.

Can't say I really agree with the decision either but, from a business perspective, I can't really argue against it.

apparently they have Islamic prayers in some of their soundtracks, which has offended a few Muslims.

Quite a bit more than a few, there's been a snowballing on twitter and a LOT of people tweeted at the company to ask them to remove the track.

I think it's extremely silly, like anything related to religion, but then again 20 years ago people were freaking out about "satanic" symbolism in vidya games and the dedication of japanese companies to avoid the slightest possible controversy has always been huge so welp.

Why does everyone make a big deal out of this? It's not like they are making fun of Muslims or anything. Heck almost everything is being turned into a musical nowadays and people pay money to see them. See "Broadway shows". 

Shit always hit the fucking fan whenever people pull the damn race/religion/gender card.

Edited by CeruleanGamer